Improve mesh goggle visibility?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have heard that painting the inside of mesh goggles white will improve visibility but that could cause more paint to chip off in your eyes if they get hit. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Head Moderator

Not heard that one in the safe zone before.  Sounds rather like painting a red stripe down the side if your gun to make it shoot faster.  Maybe use white masking paper instead of paint but it will take more effort to push the holes through. 

33 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Not heard that one in the safe zone before.  Sounds rather like painting a red stripe down the side if your gun to make it shoot faster.  Maybe use white masking paper instead of paint but it will take more effort to push the holes through. 

yeah, i believe the idea is to reduce contrast between the colour of the mesh as opposed to what you're looking at. Another reason may be, as people say black mesh goggles make everything darker, white makes it lighter? i dont know but for a tenner, mesh goggles are so cheap I'll experiment with them. I will try using acetone to remove all the paint from the lenses, removing all possibility of paint chipping and also lightening up the lenses.

9 hours ago, AvidAirsofter776 said:

I have heard that painting the inside of mesh goggles white will improve visibility but that could cause more paint to chip off in your eyes if they get hit. Any ideas? Thanks.

9 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

I would have thought white would make it worse by reflecting light which has come onto-your-face from outside back-into-your-eyes - causing unnecessary data processing.

Black absorbs, white reflects.

18 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

I would have thought white would make it worse by reflecting light which has come onto-your-face from outside back-into-your-eyes - causing unnecessary data processing.

Black absorbs, white reflects.

yeah, that does make sense but the black paint was gloss, so it reflects the sunlight. It's really annoying and makes it hard to see sometimes.

33 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Use lube. Makes holes bigger...

so wrong :D

Painting your mesh goggles white won't help, but if you paint 3 horizontal red and green lines along the strap, it does make things clearer due to the inherent psuedoquantum binary refraction which comes from light passing over 6 opposing frequency modifiers on a curved surface. It's a small improvement, but an improvement nonetheless. There's a reason why opticians show you a red square and a green square at the same time. 

11 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Painting your mesh goggles white won't help, but if you paint 3 horizontal red and green lines along the strap, it does make things clearer due to the inherent psuedoquantum binary refraction which comes from light passing over 6 opposing frequency modifiers on a curved surface. It's a small improvement, but an improvement nonetheless. There's a reason why opticians show you a red square and a green square at the same time. 

Indeed.  The reason is as a quick check test to if the patient needs more plus or minus. The duochrome is not 100% accurate but we can use it as a guideline for which route the refraction needs to take.

As for your pseudoquantum binary refraction theory, well, there's no harm in trying right? :P

• 4 weeks later...

Just sanded off the paint inside my cheap ebay mesh glasses to avoid the paint fleck problem.

I painted one side with black marker pen and left the other the silver metal.

Can't tell any difference when wearing them. Even standing in the sunlight looking in all directions with the same eye and swapping sides.

IMG_20170706_142022417_HDR[1].jpg

(I also hot glued top and bottom to make sure they don't pop into my face)

• Head Moderator

Myth Busters - busted.

I think the only way to improve mesh goggle visibility is to remove the mesh and replace with clear inserts ;) 

Archived