GBBR/HPA New Law Issues?

Prisce
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

OK, I'm sure that branding plays a part but when adjustable, industrial FRL's are only £20 then the average HPA user is having the piss taken.

Again, it's just an adjustable valve. The refresh rate is the CFM capability of said valve so is directly related to the bore size. If you know the CFM requirement for the setup you want (and yes, I know that isn't always simple but bear with me) then you can quite easily calculate the CFM at a given PSi and produce a fixed regulator accordingly. Now, that COULD be done with a housing that could take a number of different venturis so you'd only be paying for that part each time which would bring the cost down more in line with what you might pay for a spring (ish). So basically you pay the money for the regulator housing and then switch the venturi about to fine tune your gun. As long as that venturi isn't "quick change" and requires tools and a bit of faff to change it then you've satisfied the readily convertible part and Bob's your proverbial.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Lozart said:

OK, I'm sure that branding plays a part but when adjustable, industrial FRL's are only £20 then the average HPA user is having the piss taken.

Again, it's just an adjustable valve. The refresh rate is the CFM capability of said valve so is directly related to the bore size. If you know the CFM requirement for the setup you want (and yes, I know that isn't always simple but bear with me) then you can quite easily calculate the CFM at a given PSi and produce a fixed regulator accordingly. Now, that COULD be done with a housing that could take a number of different venturis so you'd only be paying for that part each time which would bring the cost down more in line with what you might pay for a spring (ish). So basically you pay the money for the regulator housing and then switch the venturi about to fine tune your gun. As long as that venturi isn't "quick change" and requires tools and a bit of faff to change it then you've satisfied the readily convertible part and Bob's your proverbial.

Industrial FRL's don't have to deal with an input pressure of 800psi, which is what most bottle output at.

There are some bottles that you can change the pressure to below 200 or 300psi iirc

• Root Admin

As above: Airsoft and paintball regulators are different in their input pressure to that which you might be referending. You can buy certain industrial regs but they're still about £50+. Believe me, I've looked. Also their refresh rate is usually arse according to many reviews for the Basylisk and Amped Airsoft white-labelled industrial ones (for fully pneumatic, at least - you might get away with it for electric solenoid).

If a manufacturer provided some sort of lockable regulator then great, but those already exist - I still need a tool to remove zipties just like I would need a single allen key to disassemble my entire Redline SFR. The problem here is you're trying to define 'readily', which is what the courts job is now.

I currently use a Wolverine Storm reg which is tournament locked at every skirmish, tbh it rarely gets cut now as i have it set for the rif i use.  To change my psi as my tank is on my back like most hpa players. i would need to remove plate carrier, cut the cable tie with scissors or knife and then use the required allen key to adjust the psi and then cable tie it back up and put plate carrier back on.  Can't honestly see being able to get away that at a skirmish without being seen and asked what I'm doing.  Alternatively my scorpion evo spring can be removed and replaced in under 30 seconds.  My old ICS M4 i could have just replace the whole upper gearbox by removing one pin, maybe 20 seconds again.  The point I'm trying to get across is you can't worry about one type of energy and not the rest. If people want regulators capped or permanently locked then you will also need to remove the possibility of changing springs.  Neither is going to happen and to be fair neither should happen.  The government don't have the first clue on how to manage and police airsoft, even though it doesn't need it so i wouldn't worry to much.  Stick to your site/legal fps rules no matter what you are using and everything will be fine.

• Supporters
17 hours ago, sokar666 said:

I currently use a Wolverine Storm reg which is tournament locked at every skirmish, tbh it rarely gets cut now as i have it set for the rif i use.  To change my psi as my tank is on my back like most hpa players. i would need to remove plate carrier, cut the cable tie with scissors or knife and then use the required allen key to adjust the psi and then cable tie it back up and put plate carrier back on.  Can't honestly see being able to get away that at a skirmish without being seen and asked what I'm doing.  Alternatively my scorpion evo spring can be removed and replaced in under 30 seconds.  My old ICS M4 i could have just replace the whole upper gearbox by removing one pin, maybe 20 seconds again.  The point I'm trying to get across is you can't worry about one type of energy and not the rest. If people want regulators capped or permanently locked then you will also need to remove the possibility of changing springs.  Neither is going to happen and to be fair neither should happen.  The government don't have the first clue on how to manage and police airsoft, even though it doesn't need it so i wouldn't worry to much.  Stick to your site/legal fps rules no matter what you are using and everything will be fine.

Very valid point there, but the issue is more that adjusting an HPA gun is actually very quick and easy whereas (most) others require at least partial disassembly.

Coming to your last point though, site legal limits are one thing but let's not forget the starting point of this thread. It wasn't at a site but a random home visit from the Police. Now, whether or not the story is BS, it poses a potentially more realistic issue - someone sees you with a RIF and reports you. Local Police arrive and (as you say) not knowing any better they seize the gun and find that by winding up the regulator they have a Section 5 firearm. If they'd seized an AEG I very much doubt that they would have gone any further than firing it through a chrono because they wouldn't have tried to get an M150 spring and swap it out!

As with painting two tones, you can do it and more often than not get away with it purely by not being a dick and waving it about in public BUT there is still the possibility of getting caught out. Painting a two tone gets you pretty much a slap on the wrist and a fine, having an unlicenced S5 firearm is a bit more serious....

Possession of a Section 5 Prohibited Weapon with out propped authority was the last time I looked a mandatory minimum sentence of 5 years if prosecuted. There is a few incidences where the police have confiscated unlicenced weapons and never brought prosecution but it's rare.  I am only using the word "Weapon" as this is the terminology used in the legislature though in essence an airsoft gun is not a weapon as it's not intended to harm.

As I have said before the only time we will truly know the situation is when/if someone is caught, rif tested (I'd presume the testing would have to be explained if it goes to court) and then dragged in front of a judge. 

I don't think anyone wants to be that guy though. 

I also don't think it's unreasonable to assume the above wouldn't happen on a standard airsoft day and is more likely to occur if you are being a dick with the RIF within the view of public eye. 

I try to draw as little attention to myself when going to/from games as where some of my friends happily roll into McDonald's in full tac gear and empty holsters attached to them still. 

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, JBenoit said:

Possession of a Section 5 Prohibited Weapon with out propped authority was the last time I looked a mandatory minimum sentence of 5 years if prosecuted. There is a few incidences where the police have confiscated unlicenced weapons and never brought prosecution but it's rare.  I am only using the word "Weapon" as this is the terminology used in the legislature though in essence an airsoft gun is not a weapon as it's not intended to harm.

Unfortunately you need to read the new Policing and Crime Act from this year:

In short, it reclassifies 'hot' or 'readily convertible' airsoft guns as being section 5 firearms, but we all know it won't be enforced because it's ridiculous. You would have been right about that if you'd said it a few months ago though.

Archived