Sending GBBR magazines in the post

Mantle
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

What delivery service is advised when sending GBBR magazines? The magazines with be completely degassed prior to sending.

Is it safe to use parcelforce?

• Root Admin

As briefly discussed here: https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/profile/11663-bigblackglock/&status=9421&type=status

It's always a risk when sending any pressurised container. I've made sure to remove the valves and leave a note saying that the containers cannot hold gas when disassembled - not had a problem, but then I don't think any of mine have been inspected. There are stories of them being seized and destroyed, so just be wary that every courier has some kind of 'no pressurised containers' thing in their terms and that really only high-volume customers can be granted exemptions for this.

So basically PF is as good as any other service but you're still running a slight risk.

31 minutes ago, proffrink said:

As briefly discussed here: https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/profile/11663-bigblackglock/&status=9421&type=status

It's always a risk when sending any pressurised container. I've made sure to remove the valves and leave a note saying that the containers cannot hold gas when disassembled - not had a problem, but then I don't think any of mine have been inspected. There are stories of them being seized and destroyed, so just be wary that every courier has some kind of 'no pressurised containers' thing in their terms and that really only high-volume customers can be granted exemptions for this.

So basically PF is as good as any other service but you're still running a slight risk.

Thank you very much Proffrink. Unfortunately I couldn't see those status updates as I'm on the mobile version but thank you for linking it to me. 

I'll probably take the risk and try to get them through with PF in that case

... surely if the gas has been expelled and the internal pressure is equal to the ambient pressure, it's no longer pressurised?:P

PF do not care, i've had nearly £300 of gas mags seized and destroyed by those twats, doing as Proffrink described. 

Sign up for a UPS Business Account (make up an imaginary company name, doesn't actually need to exist) and all problems cease to exist - you will need to use the correct warning labels on the outside though. Added bonus, as long as you're shipping within europe, they are drastically cheaper than PF as well.

10 hours ago, GiantKiwi said:

PF do not care, i've had nearly £300 of gas mags seized and destroyed by those twats, doing as Proffrink described. 

Sign up for a UPS Business Account (make up an imaginary company name, doesn't actually need to exist) and all problems cease to exist - you will need to use the correct warning labels on the outside though. Added bonus, as long as you're shipping within europe, they are drastically cheaper than PF as well.

Oh I've had nothing but problems with UPS! 

I've just started looking at all the couriers T&Cs and made a list:

Royal Mail / Parcelforce: Prohibited

DPD: Prohibited

Yodel: Prohibited

DHL: Allowed, Restricted (Parts requiring FAC are prohibited, imitation firearms must be disassembled, gases themselves are not allowed, however there is no specific mention of containers)

• Complete original and imitation firearms and firearm parts, (includes rifle butts, trigger mechanisms, screws / bolts etc which are manufactured for the sole purpose of creating a functional firearm), ammunition, explosives / explosive devices

UPS: Allowed

TNT: Prohibited

MyHermes: Unclear, Restricted, known to seize and destroy.

Interparcel: Prohibited

Parcel Hero: Unclear (Firearms or Air Rifles are prohibited. No definition of "Air Rifle" (eg where I used to live, an Air Rifle was classed as any object which fires a projectile through the use of air pressure, so Airsoft would also fall into this category).

Dunno about when it comes to standard customers but my work uses FedEx when sending out aerosols. Need to put a label on the box about pressurized containers but should be alright. Probably not the cheapest way of doing it but that's my 2 cents.

I've sent multiple GBBR magazines in the last few weeks via Parcelforce and haven't had an issue in my experience. 

I've also received multiple GBBR magazines via Royal Mail (both 1st and 2nd class). In fact, 2 KWA Kriss Vector mags came to my door about 10 mins ago!

Those are my experiences. Haven't had anything destroyed or returned yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked with the post office as I was sending a letter - they confirmed that sending gas magazines, as long as theyre empty, is fine with Royal Mail.

However, during inspection, they might not be able to tell if it's depressurised or not, so to make sure they're not seized and destroyed, include a sticker on the package that states "Depressurised/Empty Vessel". Also, if it resembles a weapon part, also having a note inside that says "Theatrical Prop" or words to that effect will also be a good idea.

As long as its depressurised, as they put it, it's no different to sending a thermos flask.

UPDATE:

The detailed information on royal mail's prohibited items list includes empty gas cylinders, so whether this applies to magazines too is still a mystery, and appears to be luck of the draw on whether it's inspected. I would think your only safe magazine to send is a CO2 mag.

Airsoft Guns however ARE allowed to be sent Royal Mail (again, a package note would be a good idea), and Airsoft ammunition is specifically stated as allowed. However it must be sent at the post office and presented at the counter (I presume they put a "restricted-verified" sticker on it or something like that).

Archived