Are BFGs overpriced options to single use pyro?

Sacarathe
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've had a TRMR 209 tri-load impact Blank Firing Grenade for 13 months, in that time I've used 75 primers, at least 5 of which were for non airsoft entertainment. It cost £85 + £30 for the multishot base, and 200 primers at 8 pence each (+£16). I wager cardboard pyros at 60-70 shots would have cost not more than £100 and might have been more versatile 'tactically speaking'.

Had I been legally able to posses cardboard pyro I think I would have preferred that option. It may feel bad at £1.50 a throw, but so far my TRMR has cost me more than that per throw and weighs 450grams (my only gripe). I don't have any regrets though I muse on whether I would have bought it now that I've had a year out of it, and wonder whether I'd have been better off with two timed grenades, or (had it been an option) bulk bought cardboard pyro.

On more fun note, between my most recent visit to the mall and my previous visit they amended their BFG briefing I think in part due to something which happened to me: My TRMR got caught on my glove and hit the ceiling very hard. They noted that if that happens the person would be banned from BFGs the rest of that day.

This is not a review of the TRMR, I have nothing negative to say about the product.

different sites have different rules on both paper and bfg's so for some sites i'd prefer having one over the other. saying that i've got 3 BFG's but in some scenarios it's harder to get the BFG out and use it over a paper one

saying that, don't know where you get your paper pyro for £1.50.. cheapest i've seen them is £2.50 online and normally £3.50 on sites

• Supporters

Whats The Mall's new pyro rule?

Just bought a 2nd hand trmr and a new tri base. Just under £90 for both parts. But I then went to a local gunsmith - not an airsoft store - and the Cheddite primers were £2.60 for 100, so I bought 4 packs.

The initial investment is pretty high. I just hope I get to use it at the Mall on Sunday or I will be pretty gutted. at 2.6p per bang that's a huge saving over paper, but if you can't use it, then it's a pretty expensive lump of metal :(

2 hours ago, springs said:

saying that, don't know where you get your paper pyro for £1.50.. cheapest i've seen them is £2.50 online and normally £3.50 on sites

On that occasion the opportunity existed to buy an unlimited amount for that price, indeed proffrink kindly gave me three to use that evening just to be sure, I believe I returned one at the end - but sadly I couldnt store it on these premises.

• Supporters
On 6/6/2017 at 2:17 PM, springs said:

Buy in bulk....

For where and how I play, I feel BFGs are not worth the money and would prefer paper based stuff all day long for the following reasons:

I can throw them

By throwing them they are more accurate (in windows, up levels etc)

I dont have to worry about losing them or collecting afterwards

Usable indoors and outside

Available in bulk, split between a group they become more affordable than site prices, we have even been known to sell our spares at some sites SHHHHHHHH!! ;) 

only gripe is the pouch I use to keep them and movement means the lids get damaged and not always able to strike them properly. working on a way around this though!

• Supporters

Albiscuit, try putting them in the pouch upside down. 

Or you can do like I do, get a multi purpose pouch with the elastic webbing in and store them sideways between the webbing, never move and allows multi storage.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

only gripe is the pouch I use to keep them and movement means the lids get damaged and not always able to strike them properly. working on a way around this though!

That's why I also have extra strikes on my gun and my chest rig...

5 hours ago, Lozart said:

That's why I also have extra strikes on my gun and my chest rig...

Have thought about sticking some sandpaper onto the front of the pouch, using sticky velcro so its easily replaceable

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Have thought about sticking some sandpaper onto the front of the pouch, using sticky velcro so its easily replaceable

Sandpaper won't work as it's not a simple friction igniter. You'll need to use the side off a box of matches (preferably the big cooks ones).

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Sandpaper won't work as it's not a simple friction igniter. You'll need to use the side off a box of matches (preferably the big cooks ones).

Easy enough... Thanks, thought it was more of less the same stuff.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

Easy enough... Thanks, thought it was more of less the same stuff.

If it was like Swan Vestas then yes, but safety matches (and most pyro) use a chemical match that has one part of the compound needed for ignition in the striking surface.

• Supporters

I can't remember who it was now but there was a guy on here that made the MOLLE mounted one I have. Like this: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Glaive/media/IMG_20141025_095451_zpstpkiwzgr.jpg.html

The RIS mount one I have is this one http://www.socomtactical.net/tdc-20mm-ris-mounted-strike-plate-w-extra-strikers

Both work well!

Someone on here made a molle attachment with clips and a striker but cant remember who, I loved the idea but they only held two at a time I think so did not bother as I take a handful out with me normally ;) 

Thanks for the link though, will use this idea somehow and somewhere :) 

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Someone on here made a molle attachment with clips and a striker but cant remember who, I loved the idea but they only held two at a time I think so did not bother as I take a handful out with me normally ;) 

Thanks for the link though, will use this idea somehow and somewhere :) 

It was the same guy made my one!

I looked for that thread a while ago, but like i say I would need more than a few and like to travel light so the less hanging off me the better.

I really don't understand the massive following for the TRMR's, the multibase only saves the slightest amount of time for something you cant retrieve on 99% of sites I've been to until you've cleared an area. I stick to my timed and impacts at £50-£65 do the same thing and takes only marginally less time to reload between uses.

Each to their own though.

• Head Moderator

There are pros and cons to both, and personal preference.  I do not own a BFG because I cannot justify its cost or weight, even if the kit whore in me likes the idea.  Long term it would be cheaper than using mk5 cardboard bangs, however, I find carrying a few lightweight pyro more convenient.

Of course, cardboard pyro is also a luxury.  Whilst I measure many things by 1TM (the price of a TM recoil gun) for less expensive items I use the Merlot/Malbec scale (the price of a bottle of Argentine red wine).  Therefore, using a few Mk5 bangs is 1 to 2 Malbecs, and I prefer to spend my disposable money on a decent drink post skirmish. :) 

Archived