ICS M4/M16 Hop up

Fuzzy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm coming back to the sport after three years away so in anticipation to getting home from Uni and pulling out my ICS M16 I thought I would try and get some help on how to investigated some of the problems that plagued it.

I used to have some serious hop issues with the gun, the range was truly terrible. Now I am not entirely sure if this was due to a lack of compression or/and the hop up. The problem I had was that I would start with the hop up and slowly increase it, nothing would happen until the hop was so far on it would cause misfires. I *tried* replacing the bucking and the rubber but to no avail, I'm not sure if this was due to installation problems.

The little c-clip that clips around the barrel to help line up with the hop was broken in half, but both pieces would still sit in their places with a little bit of stick help from silicon oil. Now, I am also pretty sure that a oily bucking was not the problem as the problem persisted even after 1000-2000 bbs had passed through the gun, which I would assume would remove oil from the hop.

At the moment I am considering buying a new hop up and then going to town with some PTFE tape and hoping it performs better than before.

For reference the gun had a 1J spring and a range of about 25-30m, everyone I played with said I should set up the hop but at a quick glance no one could manage to conduct some field/saftey zone repairs.

Many Thanks,

Alex

• AF-UK Founding Member

Welcome to the forums :)

Would definitely recommend getting a new hop in there. If you are unsure on fitting it then you can always slip down your local site and ask nicely or find an airsoft shop near you.

Wow, thanks for the lightning fast reply!

Yeah I suspected it would be a new hop-up unit. As for the installation I'l give it a go myself first. After all, I'm older now and have several years more experience breaking things!

• AF-UK Founding Member

No worries.

Fair play, I'm sure you won't have any difficulty :) If you do, try to have remembered things in a step by step basis as to what you've done as it can be easier to help out if needed :)

To test the compresstion you can...

Firsly take out the mag and clear the camber (fire on semi a couple of times)

Then stick yout hand infront of the barrel and see if there is a strong blast of air and its consistant then there is no compresstion problems

Oh and welcome :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it!

I forgot to eask earlier, do you guys have any tips with the hop up as regard to PTFE and Electrical tape, I've heard of people using both to minimise air loss and ensure tighter fitting.

My intention was to use PTFE tape on the nozzle at the end of the cylinder that is then inserted into the hop up unit, and possibly a very thin strip of insulation/electrical tape to hold the bucking in place on the barrel and stop the bucking notch sliding up, though this might be because I'm never quite sure how it's supposed to fit.

EDIT: After some more reading I'm confident I don't need the second bit any more, is the PTFE tape worth while?

EDIT 2: Would you recommend changing the Hop Rubber and Bucking as well?

EDIT 3: God I'm getting crazy with these, the hop up bucking has two ridges within it, one runs down the bucking and lines up with a groove in the barrel (looking at pictures, I can't remember if ICS is any different).

GE-07-01.jpg

The ridge that runs across the bucking, very near to the end; does this sit within the notch of the barrel, so the nub pushes against it or is it a stopper to prevent the bucking sliding further down the barrel? The bit I am talking about is the ridge about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom left of the bucking.

526_tn_barrel.gif

PICT0368_Medium_.JPG

Got it ^^

Thanks again for the earlier help. Now I'm just anxious to get home and play with the thing!

• 1 year later...

Did you get your hop bucking sorted out? I haven't found a great guide to show me how to replace the bucking on the ICS hop unit. My bucking seems to be pretty tightly wedged into the hop unit and I am reluctant to apply any kind of force/objects to remove it as I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to break anything.

Incidentally, what spring did you have on the hop unit? The one that pushes the hop unit backwards towards the air nozzle?

There seems to be two types. The pen-type, that fits onto that little protrusion on the hop unit over the barrel, and the larger spring that slides over the barrel against the hop unit. Either that or I've lost a spring! :lol:

Archived