Police raids in Manchester post 22/5

Dentonboy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Some interesting kit on show in last two pics...a very strong whiff of UKSF about one or two of the men pictured. Thoughts?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2017/may/24/threat-level-critical-increased-security-on-british-streets-in-pictures

I just hope the other guys call their hits ;)

All I've been saying to my wife is ooh look a G36 ooh look a M4, she just looks at me with one of those wife looks and carries on what she's doing.

Just out of curiosity, surely the guards at Buckingham Palace are there for exactly that, guarding the palace. So why get separate soldiers in, if they have already a dedicated unit / regiment for that? (Don't know the actual size dedicated to it, so may be too small for current circumstance?)

"Strong and Stable"

Big part of this, for me, is Tory/May PR.

Sky News just confirmed SAS involvement.

13 hours ago, rsciw said:

Just out of curiosity, surely the guards at Buckingham Palace are there for exactly that, guarding the palace. So why get separate soldiers in, if they have already a dedicated unit / regiment for that? (Don't know the actual size dedicated to it, so may be too small for current circumstance?)

Because in moments of disaster the only people to get extra protection are the rich ones!! 

We need to stand firm, protect our betters with more guns militarize the police, bring soldiers in to protect the public tories and we shall survive *end sarcasm*

I always assumed the guards at the palace had loaded weapons and were ready to protect the palace, plus there has been armed coppers there for years plus stupid response times. Someone gets stabbed around my estate 2 hours for a copper, someone seen with a knife outside the place 12 cars in a minute!!!!

I dont really see what extra soldiers will do personally.

32 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Because in moments of disaster the only people to get extra protection are the rich ones!!

Lol, nice one.

It's just a deterrent because IMHO mr terrorist will strike, just somewhere less prominent, as the baddies thrive on meaningful victories.

Well precisely, theres so many more soft targets than the places they have put soldiers. 

Downing St, Parliament and the palace are all behind gates with armed coppers and soldiers anyway so its a bit silly putting more there. But then pictures of soldiers by landmarks will go across the world showing how strong we are and how we are taking a stand (end sarcasm), pictures of a soldier in a local park/outside a chicken shop are not going anywhere.

Its the places the public are which need protecting, but then the public are everywhere so it becomes tricky; theres too many variables and what ifs but either way I doubt soldiers on the streets or armed coppers are the way to go IMO...

But back on topic :)

that tatooed bloke in the raid pic does look like how most airsofters want to look like!

23 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

But back on topic :)

that tatooed bloke in the raid pic does look like how most airsofters want to look like!

I saw that guy and after first thinking 'airsofter' twigged he must be UKSF. Far too much military kit to be armed police. 

11 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

I saw that guy and after first thinking 'airsofter' twigged he must be UKSF. Far too much military kit to be armed police. 

Using an L119A2 so definitely SF.

Fjallraven trousers too?

• Moderators

does look like an Airsoft event, last few pics :D

Like the 'face masks' i could never get a similar version to fit my fast helmet and always feared a BB would still hit me :D

• Supporters

Obviously anyone rocking MC kit is 99% SF, the blokes in the grey we've seen before, the black and jeans.. not sure, could be a secretive, well equipped police unit, but I don't think I've seen any police in Cryes yet (though I don't go searching).  There's other pictures floating around of SF blokes in Black G3 combats with MC load bearing gear.

I think the fact we've had to resort to all these army blokes on the streets is just a result of the cuts to police and lack of budget to give more (or all) police firearms training.  Since afghan finished, there will be lots of army units sat around doing nothing.  Bit surprised they were told to use their ratty training kit instead of Osprey or Virtus.  Even I have an osprey mk4 sat in the loft, infantry blokes must have their own personal issued ones.  The fact we're still throwing away money buying ECBAs is silly, but then it's probably kevlar from the 80s stuffed in to new MTP covers.

I'm surprised it's not been more of a thing in terms of "army on the streets!  with guns! I'm offended!".  I'm alright with it at this level, they're not stopping anyone living their lives and I know if I had to do the same job how I'd approach it (i.e. I've got no interest in restricting any member of the public in any way, I want to do my shift and come home).  But obviously you don't want to start down a slippery slope.

2 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

Obviously anyone rocking MC kit is 99% SF, the blokes in the grey we've seen before, the black and jeans.. not sure, could be a secretive, well equipped police unit, but I don't think I've seen any police in Cryes yet (though I don't go searching).  There's other pictures floating around of SF blokes in Black G3 combats with MC load bearing gear.

I think the fact we've had to resort to all these army blokes on the streets is just a result of the cuts to police and lack of budget to give more (or all) police firearms training.  Since afghan finished, there will be lots of army units sat around doing nothing.  Bit surprised they were told to use their ratty training kit instead of Osprey or Virtus.  Even I have an osprey mk4 sat in the loft, infantry blokes must have their own personal issued ones.  The fact we're still throwing away money buying ECBAs is silly, but then it's probably kevlar from the 80s stuffed in to new MTP covers.

I'm surprised it's not been more of a thing in terms of "army on the streets!  with guns! I'm offended!".  I'm alright with it at this level, they're not stopping anyone living their lives and I know if I had to do the same job how I'd approach it (i.e. I've got no interest in restricting any member of the public in any way, I want to do my shift and come home).  But obviously you don't want to start down a slippery slope.

Those out in jeans are (or most likely are) the Counter Terrorist Police formed last year.  At the parliament stabbing many people erroneously assumed them to be SAS/SBS (especially those trotting up the Thames in ribs)

Multicam is not on formal issue, and it would be fair to say any seen in multicam probably are UKSF. However multicam does get worn alongside MTP, and they may be wearing it as privately purchased - they shouldn't but if they get away with it they do.

Virtus isn't heavily issued yet, and is mainly with specific units for operational use or trials as it is redeveloped

But by 'ratty training kit', do you mean their basic webbing?  

If deemed necessary to the role they would be sent out in Osprey or Virtus depending on their issue kit.

(On a training level, it's train as you fight so on pre-deployment training they are sent out in the kit they will be using based on the threat)

The police are just in stab vests

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Virtus isn't heavily issued yet, and is mainly with specific units for operational use or trials as it is redeveloped

But by 'ratty training kit', do you mean their basic webbing?  

If deemed necessary to the role they would be sent out in Osprey or Virtus depending on their issue kit.

(On a training level, it's train as you fight so on pre-deployment training they are sent out in the kit they will be using based on the threat)

The police are just in stab vests

I said osprey and virtus to cover both, but ok...

I've done multiple pre-deployment packages myself, but thanks for the reiteration.  I know how it works, I just said I find it surprising.  Tatty, old, hard used and non-uniform PLCE makes our guys look comparatively unprofessional next to the police, webbing isn't what I'd call ideal urban fighting rig.  They've also got bugger all protection against actual firearms in ECBA vs osprey with a full loadout of operational plates.  Again I don't know if the army units pictured get personal issue osprey, but if a remf like me has his own set issued I feel like they probably do or could have at least been sorted out.  I have no qualm with the blokes pictured, far from it.

Archived