Why would you use electronic hearing protector? why wouldn't?

Tommy Gunn
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

There are some electronic hearing protectors, can connect with radios if have proper PTT.

As far as i know, 3M peltor, MSA sordin, Z-TAC, Earmor. 2 Old&experienced 1  and 1 total new brand.

It's surely tacticool with those hearing protectors.

Anyway, why would you use electronic hearing protector? and why wouldn't?

14800156_1191026610944294_1168971618_o.jpg

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I've been eyeing this one up on Amazon for a while: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O

71k7vr+wNdL._SL1500_.jpg

Only for use at The Mall. They're only £40 and reported to be very good.

They amplify ambient noise, so you can hear footsteps louder than normal. And anything at Flashbang volume is muted.

I'd feel a bit of a knob wearing them, but I like my ears and hearing more than my own looks :)

19 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

They amplify ambient noise, so you can hear footsteps louder than normal. And anything at Flashbang volume is muted.

I'd feel a bit of a knob wearing them, but I like my ears and hearing more than my own looks :)

All of these electronic protectors do the same things: amplify weak sound(like voice,steps), mute loud noisy.

I agree, hearing is more important than being tacticool.

What about its actual working situation?

1 hour ago, L3wisD said:

Seems to be some mixed reviews on the Amazon page but they again the issues seems to be with large calibre guns which wont be an issue for us with our .20's :D

May give these a go as they hook into a radio as well which I need to get sorted at some point could be a good investment.

Totally in favour of these, having tinnitus already flash bangs and such do not pose much more than an annoyance, although the ringing you get from one going off downstairs at the Mall next to you can impair my ability to hear other sneaky bastids!

Forgot they amplify noise too, could be useful.  may look for a pair at some point. 

25 minutes ago, skillfulmmd said:

Seems to be some mixed reviews on the Amazon page but they again the issues seems to be with large calibre guns which wont be an issue for us with our .20's :D

May give these a go as they hook into a radio as well which I need to get sorted at some point could be a good investment.

Don't you need a boom mic to use with radio? Can't remember any mic-version of that, but other brands have.

Having electronic headset and connect to radio with PTT, always tacticool for me! :ph34r::lol:

7 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Totally in favour of these, having tinnitus already flash bangs and such do not pose much more than an annoyance, although the ringing you get from one going off downstairs at the Mall next to you can impair my ability to hear other sneaky bastids!

Forgot they amplify noise too, could be useful.  may look for a pair at some point. 

Oh man you should get one now before your next action, hearing can't be recovered to 100% once it's damaged.

Too many years by the bass bins raving has left a bloody ringing already, I tend to rush forward when a bang lands near me, they dont always expect that :P its not that often one goes off close enough to annoy me but some sundays can be a bloody boom fest!

I know your right though 

41 minutes ago, Tommy Gunn said:

Don't you need a boom mic to use with radio? Can't remember any mic-version of that, but other brands have.

Having electronic headset and connect to radio with PTT, always tacticool for me! :ph34r::lol:

Thats the plan I will look around and see what other brands offer this it will only be for mil sims id use a radio anyways, at a normal skirmish day it seems far to over the top. 

47 minutes ago, Tommy Gunn said:

Oh man you should get one now before your next action, hearing can't be recovered to 100% once it's damaged.

WHAAAAT???!

53 minutes ago, Tommy Gunn said:

If the "WHAAAAT???!" means "You can't restore the 80% hearing system back to 100%", then it's "YES".B)

I "think" that was a poor dad joke attempt at humor with Lewis insinuating he couldnt hear you :P 

26 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

I "think" that was a poor dad joke attempt at humor with Lewis insinuating he couldnt hear you :P 

PARDON?!

I use a pair of the Howard leight ear pro and they're fairly decent for the money.

in regards to using them with a radio... thats a bit iffy... I've tried to use them in conjunction with my PTT and it cancels out the noise amplification, they basically become noise cancelling headphones. I've just been putting them over my ear piece and that works fine! hope this tidbit of info helps anyone :) 

Recently bought a pair of Z-Tacs without the boom mic but from testing with my phone you can plug them into a radio headset and use a throat mic and you've got comms in your right ear while keeping the sound cancelling/amplification. they were a bit more then other headsets but they look a lot more operator and seem to work pretty well. Bought them after my last game when I was stuck in a metal building dodging 3 or 4 pyros which left my ears ringing for about half an hour.

On 2017/5/23 at 0:11 AM, Dachs said:

I use a pair of the Howard leight ear pro and they're fairly decent for the money.

in regards to using them with a radio... thats a bit iffy... I've tried to use them in conjunction with my PTT and it cancels out the noise amplification, they basically become noise cancelling headphones. I've just been putting them over my ear piece and that works fine! hope this tidbit of info helps anyone :) 

That was...I don't know, maybe you should get another one. My Earmor headset works well with PTT&radio.

7 hours ago, PopRocket123 said:

Recently bought a pair of Z-Tacs without the boom mic but from testing with my phone you can plug them into a radio headset and use a throat mic and you've got comms in your right ear while keeping the sound cancelling/amplification. they were a bit more then other headsets but they look a lot more operator and seem to work pretty well. Bought them after my last game when I was stuck in a metal building dodging 3 or 4 pyros which left my ears ringing for about half an hour.

you have separate throat mic to to with headset w/o boom mic? good idea, i'm using a pair with boom mic.

7 hours ago, Tommy Gunn said:

eyepro is needed, but helmet? for tacticool?

I've never seen someone with this type of ear pro without mounting it on a better load carrier than it's own rig.

As for eye pro - the more stuff you put on your head the better the parts have to work together.

When I used to use a helmet which could have carried this type of ear pro - I used mesh ear covers and shooting earplugs (when not using a balaclava), and my eyepro was attached over my helmet - so nothing could be removed except my mesh lower without compromising my eye pro.

Now I use a paintball mask which covers my ears and a balaclava - with no ear plugs.

I imagine the dream setup is eyepro which holds itself to your ears but is reasonable full seal or which goes under your helmet and ear pro.

Imo the best setup is protection you can fully remove without removing eyepro - I just cant imagine someone being able to wear these and be able to remove them without compromising non-shooting glasses eye pro.

/ramlbe

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

Imo the best setup is protection you can fully remove without removing eyepro - I just cant imagine someone being able to wear these and be able to remove them without compromising non-shooting glasses eye pro.

Goggles, strap under the ear defender headband. Simples.

I generally wear my ear defenders attached to arc rail adapters at any event where there's pyro and enclosed spaces. I've tried Sordin, Peltor and Z-Tac and the Z-Tac aren't a patch on the real thing, aside from breaking after 3 games the ambient amplification was poor and the sound quality in general was poor.

If you're not running a helmet, I don't see the problem with running them on the standard headbands.

ocballistic.jpg

22 minutes ago, tinkle60 said:

I generally wear my ear defenders attached to arc rail adapters at any event where there's pyro and enclosed spaces. I've tried Sordin, Peltor and Z-Tac and the Z-Tac aren't a patch on the real thing, aside from breaking after 3 games the ambient amplification was poor and the sound quality in general was poor.

If you're not running a helmet, I don't see the problem with running them on the standard headbands.

Where do you play? That helmet looks familiar.

I apologise if I suggested something I know little about couldn't be done, I am a little envious of others that have I pro which works for them. Since the lense broke down in my goggles I've not replaced them and been using a paintball mask since.

I would love to own this type of ear pro.

Mostly the mall recently, but I have also fielded this helmet at Blue Fox 2 and briefly at Bunker 51.

Compatibility with other head gear could definitely be an issue. You can also get neck bands that could help solve that. But I just run a pair of ballistic glasses, I know it's risky, but I'm a sweaty mofo, if I felt I needed lower face protection I could attached something onto the rails.

Archived