MTP - a "Geardo" Question

Dentonboy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok, first and foremost, I am starting this topic as a 'Geardo', not as someone overly concerned about how effective it is as s camouflage.

My question is, has MTP 'cheapened' Multicam?

Why am I asking this? Well, Multicam was THE 'Gucci' camouflage when I started out in 2005-06. It was exotic. It looked like nothing that had come before it. Yes, clones, copies and rip-offs followed, but it was (at least where I played) an uncommon camouflage to see (probably why some Multicam wearers obtained a 'reputation') in the field (no pun intended).

But now surplus MTP has flooded into airsoft. It is everywhere. It is cheap. But has its ubiquity cheapened Multicam? I got hold of a UKSF Crye Precision shirt a couple of weeks ago and sold it two days later because Multicam or similar is just so common. It is the pattern du jour now for NATO...heck, even some of Russia too! I have, and I never thought I'd say it, gone back full circle to M81 Woodland pattern and block colours, like Crye Precision Sand and Khaki.

Am I being daft, or do others think the same way?!

Depends on your point of view I guess. Yes, it's cheap - hence my setup. I'm never going to pay the kind of money for high end gear to roll about the floor in. Regardless of the pattern.

But if you're into the Gucci labels then it should have no impact as it's trying to compare it to market stall versions. They'll always be the fashion paraders, just like on the high street. Buy what works, buy what you can afford, but most of all buy what makes you smile.

I think it has stopped making me smile...

20 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

I think it has stopped making me smile...

:( Sad times! Time to do something totally different then. Pikachu onesie? :)

hahahahahaha

• Head Moderator

The use of the pejorative term "geardo" will immediately upset some.  Airsoft can be a fashion parade, some will spend money emulating the real world soldier and other just wear what is cheap or works.  Personally as an old Cold War warrior pre-2009, British DPM is the best their is and MTP/multicam is just modern crap.  But is it geardo to wear it, I am not really certain. I purchased a set of multi-glam from a friend purely because I was going to attend a milsim game and wanted to be a particular side so that I would be with other forum members.  The material and construction was excellent, much better than the old DPM I used to wear.  Multicam is the pattern seen at sites that most players wear because it is ubiquitous and contemporary. Because it is cheap, is ready available to buy, and can fulfill the soldier fantasy of many who would never serve. This is the airsoft dress-up, LARP, some players have issues with.

Wear what you like.  I still hate plate carriers and anything that stops hits being felt, but that is my opinion. If I could get a Storm Trooper uniform that would not crack on BB impact then I may well rock up wearing that. 

You could just go naked and shake that wookie out :P

I would love a Storm Trooper costume...

Having seen two guys turn up in full on 1920's gangster get up, complete with Thompsons in violin cases, then anything goes, as long as you're smiling then it's all good.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

I would love a Storm Trooper costume...

£400 will get you a set of FX Armour....

• Head Moderator
1 minute ago, Lozart said:

£400 will get you a set of FX Armour....

Yes, I almost bought a full set from a chap who made it locally and he would have made it to measure.  It would have passed the 501 inspection.  However, I am not sure whether the plastic is strong enough to take repeated BB hits, and obviously would need to get ballistic lenses for the helmet and fit fans.

Despite how common MTP and/or multicam is, I still love it! It was never my intention to have high costing gear if I'm honest, I was mainly just interested in my RIFs. However, I was offered a £400 multicam FLYYE spartan vest in exchange for a gun I no longer wanted/needed. I wouldn't have accepted if it were any other pattern if I'm honest. Would I have bought it with money? No. £400 is a ridiculous amount of money for one bit of gear.

Aside from that, I've just stuck with surplus trousers, tops, boots and kneepads. Reason being is just because I like how it all looks! Not really going after a specific look/impression though.

Just wear what you want, whether it's the most common on the field or the most obscure. If you like it, use it!

I know both patterns are different, but the similarities are close enough!!!

8 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

The use of the pejorative term "geardo" will immediately upset some.

I always thought ITH made it up.

8 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Because it is cheap, is ready available to buy, and can fulfill the soldier fantasy of many who would never serve. This is the airsoft dress-up, LARP, some players have issues with.

That post was a pleasure to read lol. But I would just like to say that some of us, I'm sure a small minority, would never serve due to being unable to pass medical - and no other reason.

Me personally, I hold that I only wear camo clothes because at the time when I was buying stuff to wear for airsoft - it was the cheapest option. In am now aware that I can get real gear in plain colours - tactical pants (with knee pads) + UBACs for under £50 in adequate quality. Admittedly I've actually got my eye out for CRYE AOR2 pants atm though.

I can't tell MTP from MC and I've never bothered to try, I do even think about other's camo unless I don't recognise it, or as at my last airsoft game there seems to be a lot of people in desert - which was out of place.

I definitely think it's like LARP, and in some ways it allows people that fall into the macho "LARP for geeks and fags", category to 'dress up' without negative feelings.

Aprox under 5% of players I've talked with about kit have admitted spending over £500 on their clothing alone, or attempted to follow a specific scheme - or unit from some war - and those players often are those least likely to care what others think.

Most people seem to start out like me, picking either what they like, or what's cheap.

MTP seems to be as cheap as the plain colours.

11 hours ago, warlord said:

You could just go naked and shake that wookie out :P

Its more of an Ewok ;) 

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Yes, I almost bought a full set from a chap who made it locally and he would have made it to measure.  It would have passed the 501 inspection.  However, I am not sure whether the plastic is strong enough to take repeated BB hits, and obviously would need to get ballistic lenses for the helmet and fit fans.

http://www.fancydressball.co.uk/movie-costumes/star-wars-costumes/adult-deluxe-stormtrooper-star-wars-costume-888572.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwr_rIBRDJzq-Z-LC_2HgSJADoL57HbrzCQD_sEZGyULYWSu9fYL2CcJMmf-PKvp6UCxygwRoCmsXw_wcB

The suit is EVA foam. Granted the helmet is gopping and wouldn't stop.....well anything really but what do you want for £60?

8 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

That post was a pleasure to read lol. But I would just like to say that some of us, I'm sure a small minority, would never serve due to being unable to pass medical - and no other reason.

Am part of that minority too, back when the Bundeswehr still had conscription...

@topic: I guess it also depends where one plays, country-wise. Obviously being in the UK, MTP has become widely available here and therefore cheaper, and also more available abroad. Flecktarn has gone through the same, after its introduction in the early 90s, being one of the best camos back then it was sought after and as it got more and more available it became quite cheap too, even the tropical/tan version of it, Tropentarn aka 3-Farben-Tarn (Heck, got a replacement jacket for the one I lost for just 11 quid delivered today).

Same may happen to the Bundeswehr's new Multitarn, which is somewhat similar to MTP and Multicam, and which also just means I'll need a new load out.

The plus side of course is, if it's cheapened, it also means running costs will be low, but of course the downside is you won't be unique, many others will wear same/similar (hence 'uniform').

Being different / unique will usually (not always though) cost more, so I guess it just depends where you set your priorities :)

The cheapening element is that multicam was originally 'exclusive' and foreign, with very little around here

Interest in it increased, they became available on the market either real or copies.

supply and demand

Real new multicam has a degree of added cost because it has to either be made by Crye or licenced from them

The multicam style of camouflage became  more popularised among different military's due to new requirements of multiple environments, as documented by Michael Yon when 2 Rifles were mix & matching Desert DPM, temperate DPM and dying desert DPM

We then trialled patterns and selected the crye multicam system but turned British into multicam DPM under licence from Crye which became MTP in the PCS PECOC cut

MTP became desirable because it was new, and I got hold of a 95/PECOC development MTP smock

If you fancy something special then get the dye out and go Proto MTP

IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

It's made from genuine Crye precision multicam whereas the others are just their standard 1000D nylon which is why there is such a massive price difference. 

I'd personally never spend over £200 on a plate carrier but considering I got to offload an unwanted gun for it, I'm not complaining :D

• Supporters

I'm not exactly 100% as to the real thrust of the OP, but I'll do my best.

Fact is, 90-something% of players can't tell MC from MTP, that's the reality.  Therefore, at brand new UK retail prices, you can spend £400+ on a set of Multicam G3 combats (or even more for rarer cuts and patterns) and those 90% at a skirmish won't know you're in anything different from the £70 set of TMC combats or possibly an even cheaper set of surplus PCS MTP uniform.  Personally I give zero fudges, I pick what I fancy out of my wardrobe the night before and wear it.  If you go to an extended game with tougher rules maybe where you get a different sort of crowd, then yeah you'll encounter maybe 50% (ballpark) of people who can tell MC from MTP, but then they're all going to be wearing it too so it's nothing special at that point; not that it was special before.

It's pretty tricky at this point to find a camo that nobody else has ever posted on Instagram.  But if you wear any Russian stuff, Australian, Canadian or any almost European pattern (M90, CCE, M84, wz.93 etc) you're pretty likely to be the only guy at a game in that pattern.  My personal goal as far as choosing clothing for a game is just to be comfortable and test out as many different brands as I can so I can report back on that item, either on youtube or my page.  I've collected lots of different colours and patterns but collect is the operative word, most of it has never been worn in game.

On 2017-5-23 at 1:50 PM, BigBlackGlock said:

It's made from genuine Crye precision multicam whereas the others are just their standard 1000D nylon which is why there is such a massive price difference.

Warrior (and tons of other brands) use the real fabrics and are far better built overall than FLYYE.  An airsoft-only chinese brand like that costing £400 retail is pure price gounging BS by someone in the supply chain, there's no reason at all for it to cost that much.  The WAS Recon PC is £130 new from UK Tac - there's not £270 worth of superior construction quality in anything from FLYYE; the fact it has plain coyote webbing for starters puts it in the cheaper production category. 1000 and 500D cordura in Multicam only costs slightly more than the same mil-spec fabric in green or coyote.  Actually (quick browse later) a yard of 1000D Multicam is about $18, the same fabric in khaki is $14, you're talking maybe 6-7 yards max (and I'm being generous) to make that carrier, meaning a price difference of ~$25 for the manufacturer to get the different materials from the supplier, and those prices came from a small-quantity retailer, commercial suppliers that only sell in large bulk would be much cheaper per quantity.

Apologies if this comes across as bashing on your personal kit, I'm not, if it works for you in games it works, but that pricing at Mil1st is just insane.  You can get Crye, Ferro, Blue Force and FirstSpear plate carriers for much less than 400.

Archived