Stripped grub screw

Nicky blue eyes
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello, quite stupidly I managed to strip the head of the grub screw thats attached to my flash hider. Has anyone got any ideas on how to get the bugger out with out damaging the flash hider its self?

• Supporters

Have you got a photo of how damaged the head is? May be able to suggest something from there. Also do you want to reuse this grub screw or are you going to replace it? And how technical are you?

Gently tapping in  a Torx bit of the appropriate size might bite hard enough to unwind it. Failing that it's going to require a screw extractor and a bit of careful drilling, but even then if it's a little way down a threaded hole the screw extractor might tend to catch the edge of the hole in the flash hider.

• Supporters

Hangtight beat me to it. You can try putting the screwdriver in and hitting the screwdriver with a hammer just to shock the screw and try and clean the threads holding it in.

They're generally an Allen head grub screw, which if you've rounded out can sometimes be persuaded out by jamming a Torx bit in the hole, but if it's a slot head and you've stripped the head off you're going to be a bit stuffed without drilling it out.

Well in conclusion i had to drill it but for prosterity my step father also sugested putting a piece of rubber band over the tip of the screw driver.  It didn't work for me this time but it might be worth a shot for some one else. Cheers any way

Archived