ICS SA80 or G&P Sentry for first gun?

UnConNecTeD
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys

I hope all is going well in the air-soft world for all of you!

I am just starting out, <have yet to play a game> but i have been interested in starting out for a while now.

As i am  a total noob, and doing what we noobs do best - searching the depths of the net reading reviews and any information i can find about starting guns, i have come to finalize my list to the final two :

ICS SA80 : https://www.airsoftworld.net/ics-l85-a2-airsoft-gun-aeg.html

G&P Sentry : http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/gandp-sentry-airsoft-aeg-sand.html

I am not sure which one would be a better one to go with, as both have good reviews for starting out.

I do like tinkering with things <taking apart and putting back together to see how it works, etc.> so i am not worried about upgrading the guns <if needed>.

I have read that both of these are good to go with as they are forgiving, and i would more than likely hang onto them for a while, which is a good thing as i don't want to be buying a new gun every year or two.

If there is anything that you think would be beneficial for me to know that may be off topic, please feel free to include as the more i know, about things, the better :)

Thank you to everyone who decides to help me out!

Happy air-softing  to everyone and hopefully I'll be there with you guys soon!

Hi there, do you plan on playing before you purchase the gun in order to get a UKARA? 

Both are good guns, depends on what you prefer. I'm sure both will be fit for purpose. Personally, I'd go for the sentry.

Hi  Georgeturner2001

Yes i am definitely planning on doing so, possibly a few at different area's.
I do like the look of the sentry more, but there is also something about that SA80 haha :)
Just our of curiosity, Is there a reason for the Sentry over the SA80? better performance / looks / feel / Own one already?

Thank you for your help!

The sentry is lighter, more customisable, should have a higher rate of fire with the 120 speed motor, easy to do internal work as you don't have to worry about complicated gearbox shape or complex trigger mechanism.

I haven't actually Owned both, I've only ever had amoebas, a krytac and two Tokyo Mauri. 

Krytac would be a solid choice, as they are supposed to be one of the best stock guns.

Epic! Decision made :) G&P Sentry it is!

Thanks for your input Georgeturner2001, i appreciate it!

Is there anything on the Sentry that is a must to upgrade?

and what would the best battery to get for it?

I have come across a few threads and seem be the ones most people go for, i am thinking of going Lipo for their advantage over Nimh, and getting a balance charge to not over charge, etc .< some say getting a low voltage alarm would be beneficial too, but unsure>.
Are there any downsides to starting on Lipo? or is the Nimh a better one to begin with?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-2s-25-50c-lipo-airsoft-pack-1.html?___store=en_us

http://www.airsoft-squared.com/review/247/9-6v-1500mah-crane-stock-nunchuck-airsoft-battery

treat lipos like a small child keep them in a safe place

and get a good charger don't need to spends loads

my charger was £25 but u need to get the power cable some come with it some don't just a laptop cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-Accucell-6-50W-6A-Balancer-Charger-LiHV-Capable-/182511594080?hash=item2a7e89ea60:g:NOAAAOSwB-1Y38wa

worth getting a lipo safe bag there pretty cheap to

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lipo-Charging-Safe-Bag-Battery-Guard-Charge-Sack-Fireproof-Storage-/262857270892?var=&hash=item3d3383a66c:m:m3aV6tRxGxZ84rJf8NfFmBQ

but have a look around I just used eBay because it quick and easy

and YouTube some videos of lipo fire/explosions have a lipo fires is very unlikely but always worth being careful with them

there plenty of guides on the internet about how to look after them        

Thanks for the response alex90!

I will definitely be looking to get a decent charger, didn't even think about the safe bag - Thanks for the added info!

**one final off track question***
There are quite a few places around London to play : Are there any locations in particular that would be a good place to start? or any one will do?

My friend used to play loads <how i got interested> but he has moved out of the country, so I do not really have a good frame of reference any more, he just said play where ever you can, so i thought i would ask.

Thanks again for all the help guys! Looking forward to get this going soon!

Where abouts in London? If South East I play Red1 Chislehurst which is a good site if North West I had a good laugh at wasteland airsoft over on drayton. If you are looking really central then possibly the bunker but I've never been there and the reviews aren't great. Hope this helps :)

Epic! You guys are legends!

I live in Central London for the next 3 months, then moving to the South West.

I will definitely be going there be going to the Red1 site while i can still get there easily.

Are there games every weekend? or should i try and get people to go and play?

Thank you for all the help on this guys, really appreciate it!

If you're in the south west, check out Cribbs and Portishead site (Black Ops) Bristol. Also Spartan Airsoft by the airport. 

:) 

Good luck with your first RIF, by the way, as no one has mentioned, it's best to play at the same site a few times for UKARA most dont share their attendance records for proof you've played the minimum (Cribbs and Portishead will as they're ran by the same Black Ops team in Bristol).

6 hours ago, UnConNecTeD said:

Epic! You guys are legends!

I live in Central London for the next 3 months, then moving to the South West.

I will definitely be going there be going to the Red1 site while i can still get there easily.

Are there games every weekend? or should i try and get people to go and play?

Thank you for all the help on this guys, really appreciate it!

Let me know when your coming down and I'll make sure I'm there too.

can lend you anything else you need, a gun included!

Archived