Under 18 gun buying question

hey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I'm 16 years old and I live in the UK, I don't do any professional airsoft etc and I just want to do some shooting in my back garden. If I go to a site like this and buy a cheap two tone low power handgun will anything happen, is it 'safe'?

I've done research in to the laws, I just want to know how strict the laws are.

Thanks

As an under 18, you can't legally purchase any Imitation firearm.
If it's just for backyard shooting, your best bet is to have a parent buy you one for your Birthday or Christmas. Just make sure you follow all the usual safety rules after that.

• Head Moderator

Under 18s cannot buy Imitation Firearms (IF), it is illegal to sell you one.

If you were 18 we would recommend that you avoid buying from that shop for airsoft guns but if it is only for garden plinking then it would not matter that they are not very good.

39 minutes ago, Hudson said:

As an under 18, you can't legally purchase any Imitation firearm.
If it's just for backyard shooting, your best bet is to have a parent buy you one for your Birthday or Christmas. Just make sure you follow all the usual safety rules after that.

Ah, Ok :)

38 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Under 18s cannot buy Imitation Firearms (IF), it is illegal to sell you one.

If you were 18 we would recommend that you avoid buying from that shop for airsoft guns but if it is only for garden plinking then it would not matter that they are not very good.

For future reference, where would you recommend to buy from?

• Head Moderator

This guide is the best place to start, read through and you will see some good places to buy from: https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/topic/17294-ians-guide-to-noobism-on-a-tight-budget/

It depends on his situation. An air rifle will obviously be louder, which could disturb neighbours, and if his garden backs onto someone else's; greater possibility of someone getting injured.

A BB gun would suffice; for starters.

52 minutes ago, Hudson said:

It depends on his situation. An air rifle will obviously be louder, which could disturb neighbours, and if his garden backs onto someone else's; greater possibility of someone getting injured.

A BB gun would suffice; for starters.

I mean't legally speaking.

The age for the purchase of air guns went up from 17 to 18, but 14 year olds can possess and shoot without supervision

Air guns are not covered by the IF/RIF situation because they are real and not imitation 

Under 18 you can no longer purchase or own an air gun, you can be loaned it but can't be gifted it in the same way as airsoft 

Have to wait till you're 18 either way buddy. 

Archived