Measuring motor speed

Hangtight
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've got a couple of motors sitting around, including an SRC high torque that was in a bone yard gun I bought recently. Great magnets, no idea how many TPA or what sort of speed it will run at. I bit of poking the interwebnet failed to produce an answer. So how do I find out?

A bit of lateral thought later I've downloaded a basic audio recorder to my tablet and stuck a flap of tape on the motor pinion. Record the sound of the tape hitting your finger nail and then measure the time difference over a number of peaks in the audio signal. A bit of maths and it turns out an SRC torque motor with Neo magnets does a touch under 22K rpm on 7.4v unloaded. Which on 18.65:1 gears should translate as around 19rps.

At some point I'll get the gun together again and let you know if this is anywhere near right .

Although if anyone has a rough idea of the relation between loaded and unloaded motor speed that would be handy.

• Supporters

bit less 17rps I'm guessing

I "THINK" they test/run them on 8.4v to equate speed spec

However under load a figure of 25k say goes out the window completely

might get 18rps but my gut is saying just over 17rps max

end of the day - it is nigh on free and if it is a little less whack up the juice

the amps will be lower or use for a 13:1 build

or wtf - a 16:1 DSG build for $hits n giggles

(or a DMR on 11.1v etc.....)

I'll build for 25-26, then when it gets 17 on 7.4v I'll liven it up with 11.1v.

It was in the RPK I got cheap last weekend. Only thing it needs is a piston, the rest of the internals are barely worn. So now I'm going to take one of the longest AK variants and turn it into something a lot shorter...

Archived