Cobra MT645 radios

lemon191
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guy,

Looking for some simple radios, looking at the Cobra MT645 or the 245 version and they seem to fit the bill, legal without a licence , the 645 has the channel codes feature and plenty of options for ptt ear pieces. They are for standard skirmish games so we shouldn't be to far away from each other. Anyone had any experience with these ? The 645 is under £40 for 2 any other suggestions ? I've seen alot of people suggest baofeng but they requirea  license which would prefer to avoid considering they are for airsoft once or twice a month 

Baofeng can be programmed to pmr446 channels.

http://phillipcooper.co.uk/2014/06/programming-a-baofeng-uv-5r-for-uk-pmr446-channels/

The power out put argument is the only real debate. But apparently replacing the standard antenna with a shorter more stubby one can bring it into compliance.

Edit: Suffice it to say I ain't no expert ;) http://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2675

While I'm sure the chances of actually getting caught using them is slim I'd rather just buy some thing that is legal in the first place lol. 

• Supporters

A baofeng can never be legal in the UK without a license. A PMR radio (the one legal without license) has max power of 0.5W AND a non replaceable antenna, non programmable, preprogrammed to PMR channels.

Having said that. We are playing far away from anyone, so a programmable radio on PMR channels won't bother anyone. A normal PMR is only good enough to radio within your squad. Not enough to radio the HQ or other squads in the wood.

and you're not likely to interfere with the marshals as they'll all be using licensed wont they?

• Head Moderator

Read this link, just about answers everything that you need to know:  https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/topic/31144-radios-guide/#comment-241741

Or use the search tool on "PMR" or whatever to read other threads about radios

Think people have missed the main question. I have already seen the benefits of licenced radios but for once or twice a month paying for a licence is a bit of a waste for me. 

Has anyone used / had any experience with the cobra MT645 radios ? On paper they look decent value but thought I'd ask to see if anyone currently uses them or has in the past ? 

My old team used Cobra's. Can't remember now which model, but it was 5-6 years ago.  There are/were a number of mic/headset combinations that work with them, or get the correct type adapter.  They work quite well in woodland, but can be a bit restricted if playing urban in or around buildings.  About 300 yards range was usually achievable. On an open hilltop we once got a good contact at about 1 mile.

Cheers , I guessed they would have limited range, but that seemed to be the feedback for most of the non licenced ones due to being low power. We will give them a try hoofully they will work fine

Archived