RIF transportation

Albiscuit
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A few weeks ago at a site the marshals told the players a new law have come in and we would be charged with something or other with the same sentence as transporting a fully loaded real assault rifle if our guns were not in a locked gun bag/case.

Having spoken to a couple of other players and observed plenty of players since then either ignore or not know this I was wondering if anyone knew for sure what they were on about?

As said it's not changed walk around with a RIF on display and well good luck! 

I actually carry mine in a standard looking bag and I do not wear camo in public just in case.

This is just me however 

It constantly amazes me how many people carry a RIF to the site I work at without a gun bag and have it wrapped in something or another method of concealment or sometimes none at all (we advise them when this is seen that if they continue they will not be allowed on site and we give them a black bag to wrap it in).

Why would yo buy a gun but not buy something to put it in first or at the same time? surely logic should prevail there somewhere?

A lot of people treat it like a toy because it fires plastic bb's. However it looks like a weapon and will be treated as such by the police if reported, who will turn up with real guns.

I am new to the sport so can't talk from experience, but it made sense when I just purchased my RIF I got a carry case so I can lock to secure it from my kids, transport it in so the public can't see it and call the police. Also to make sure it didn't get damaged.

The more people turn up to sites and transport without cases, or show their RIF in public. The more likely there will be an increase in legislation around airsoft. Nobody wants to see the introduction of orange flash hiders.

No no no...

I get that.... but they were making a point about the gun bag/case having to be locked whilst transporting!

Obviously common sense, not bringing attention to yourself, batteries and mags seperate, being honest if stopped etc.

But I still see people transporting guns in their original boxes and in unlocked bags/cases.

This is a difficult one really. Locked hard case I get. That's pretty substantial. But how about gun bags? You can put a padlock on the zips but it's hardly substantial. I guess if it's considered locked it's good enough for the law, and at least better than unlocked. But zips can be popped with a ball point pen.

Saw plenty of people getting the gun from the boot in its original box at the weekend :rolleyes:

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

I get that.... but they were making a point about the gun bag/case having to be locked whilst transporting!

they are talking bollocks....:lol::lol::lol:

i go clay pigeon shooting and carry my shotgun in a gun bag while on my bike!

there is no new law or any other law stating whether shotguns, RIFS etc have to be transported in a locked bag/case

A shotgun should be kept out of sight and preferably carried in a gun bag or slip to and from car etc when leaving your house etc. Don't leave it in full view on the back seat of the car etc,  at traffic lights someone may open door and get it......

The same should apply for any RIF/IF you transport :)

as you said, keep it out of sight and don't draw attention to yourself. Keeping it in the box is also fine. if carrying the box in public, i would personally cover it up though:)

so mine are staying in the material unlocked bags of the boot of my car when i go to and from games :) with me wearing at least camo trousers!

p.s if someone has this law can they send me a copy so i can also pass it on to the relevant people :)

• Head Moderator

I carry my airsoft gun in a gun bag, unlocked, because it goes from home into my car and then from car into the safe zone. 

I would consider locking it if I was using public transport. Primarily to stop the accidental opening of the gun bag and alarming someone, and secondly to hinder any tea leaves from putting their sticky hands inside.

• Supporters

I built a gun box out of 1" ply, it's rather heavy, but it fits my M60 in without taking it apart, it also has space to put a load of accessories and another couple of RIFs, when me and my brother go, we take this and a rucksack each, and fit everything we need with no issues. 

We load this in the car, and then take it out when we get to site, (also doubles up as a bench when seating isn't easy), may I suggest you consider doing the same, even if it's only for the car you use, makes life a lot easier!

Was this near Watford by any chance? I was told the same thing by a site owner around here. I probably will lock up my guncase in future anyway as my arsenal is getting more and more expensive lol.

It didnt sound right at the time.

And actually thinking about it most people would use a gun bag or case. And the only places to lock these are the zips, or on the case the handle or some have a little cut out for a padlock. 

But these are pointless, as pointed out its hardly safer, if someone took the whole bag a padlock is the simplest of locks to break. Plus the gun bag or case can be cut open with a stanley knife or hacksaw anyway!!

Must have been the site either being misinformed or trying to scaremonger people for some reason, maybe they had lots of people turn up with guns wrapped in blankets or some such thing.

It must had been playing on my mind when I originally posted and was late so apologies :)

• 1 month later...

I don't believe there's a requirement to have them locked up and secured, but they cannot be in public view. Doesn't mean that all your rifle slips you've got are useless because they don't lock closed.

Archived