Can anyone explain the difference? VR16 or Avalon

warlord
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As a noob I've been reading and reading and reading. Watched plenty of youtube on strip and rebuilds and am trying to make up my mind on what RIF to buy.

I'm liking the look of the VFC Saber, but it seems to be in two different flavours and I can't figure out the difference.

VFC Avalon Saber or VFC VR16 Saber

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/AEG_AEP_VFC_VFC_Avalon_Saber_CQB_AEG_DX.htm

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/AEG_AEP_VFC_VFC_VR16_Saber_CQB_AEG_Black.htm

I fear that by the time I've got UKARA I'll have to start looking again anyhow. But just wondered if some of you more savvy people could highlight the differences?

Different rail systems on the front appear to be the obvious main difference , although one does say it had ambidextrous fire select and the other doesn't so may be slightly different inside but I would just pick the rail system you prefer and go with it

4 minutes ago, lemon191 said:

Different rail systems on the front appear to be the obvious main difference , although one does say it had ambidextrous fire select and the other doesn't so may be slightly different inside but I would just pick the rail system you prefer and go with it

Ahh key mod vs m-lok. But that seems a strange jump in price for just that. $249 to $355. I just thought for that kind of price hike the differences would be more obvious.

Just now, Sacarathe said:

Have you tried emailing VFC?

Waiting on a response from RWA. I just thought I might be missing something hugely obvious.

• Supporters

The Avalons are fantastic, at least they are over here. VFCs are solid overall - my main AEG is a VFC.

Just now, SeniorSpaz87 said:

The Avalons are fantastic, at least they are over here. VFCs are solid overall - my main AEG is a VFC.

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking stuff in making a choice, but I wanted to try to get the best start and mean it shouldn't need much work to get it right.

I watched the VFC gearbox teardown and thought the gearing looked solid. But I'm bouncing around Ares, Krytac or the VFC. But got put off by the Krytac gears being propriety. I also like the Ares fire control, but was thinking of sticking a Gate Titan in the VFC anyhow.

• Supporters
Just now, warlord said:

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking stuff in making a choice, but I wanted to try to get the best start and mean it shouldn't need much work to get it right.

I watched the VFC gearbox teardown and thought the gearing looked solid. But I'm bouncing around Ares, Krytac or the VFC. But got put off by the Krytac gears being propriety. I also like the Ares fire control, but was thinking of sticking a Gate Titan in the VFC anyhow.

Stay away from Ares... They've... got an interesting reputation. They make some unique guns, but their internals are often shabby and poorly made. Krytacs are fantastic - no need to change out the gears. I would say go with VFC if you care to do some internal work (not needed, but to get that peak performance do a little), or go for the Krytac if you dont want to do anything.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

Stay away from Ares... They've... got an interesting reputation. They make some unique guns, but their internals are often shabby and poorly made. Krytacs are fantastic - no need to change out the gears. I would say go with VFC if you care to do some internal work (not needed, but to get that peak performance do a little), or go for the Krytac if you dont want to do anything.

I would disagree, in part, with the comment about ares, there new guns such as the amoeba series is excellent, I cannot rate my vz58 enough. The electronic trigger is superb.

• Supporters
Just now, sp00n said:

I would disagree, in part, with the comment about ares, there new guns such as the amoeba series is excellent, I cannot rate my vz58 enough. The electronic trigger is superb.

I have heard good things about the Amoeba and some of their newer guns. I was more referring to older Ares (and S&T I guess). havent tried any of their newer stuff so i cant really comment on them. As OP didnt specify which Ares he was interested in that influenced my response as well.

8 minutes ago, sp00n said:

I also watched an Ares Amoeba gearbox tear down and thought they looked pretty decent. I liked the way the fire control wiring doesn't run inside by the motor. Also the quick change spring looked useful, even though it's not a regular change. Just thought it made splitting the gearbox easier.

Edit: and I don't have a specific Ares in mind. The Honey Badger does look cool though. I thought I'd start on the internals and check them out after all the pretty guns don't shoot no further :D

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

I have heard good things about the Amoeba and some of their newer guns. I was more referring to older Ares (and S&T I guess). havent tried any of their newer stuff so i cant really comment on them. As OP didnt specify which Ares he was interested in that influenced my response as well.

I would highly recommend having a go with one, you won't be disappointed. And the ability to change firing modes with the programmer is really really nice.

but you are indeed correct older ares models have been really bad. 

1 minute ago, Sacarathe said:

This is another wonderful thread title, /golfclap.

/troll

Someone put salt in your coffee? :D

• Supporters
Just now, sp00n said:

I would highly recommend having a go with one, you won't be disappointed. And the ability to change firing modes with the programmer is really really nice.

but you are indeed correct older ares models have been really bad. 

I have too many guns as is... Maaaaaybe in the future...

Just now, Sacarathe said:

I'm both serious and at the same time not intending offence. Even if the title is really long, on forums search is everything!

Or at least would be if your search for VFC returned anything ;)

I literally signed up today to the forum so don't come down on me too hard if I get this wrong or posted incorrectly

I think the latest Redwolf video which features Jonathan from Airsoftology in it helps

fast forward to 6 mins

I own the Avalon Calibur CQC and it works a treat

21 hours ago, Pbomb said:

I literally signed up today to the forum so don't come down on me too hard if I get this wrong or posted incorrectly

I think the latest Redwolf video which features Jonathan from Airsoftology in it helps

fast forward to 6 mins

I own the Avalon Calibur CQC and it works a treat

Thanks for that, pretty useful. I swear I watched that and must have missed the comparison first time around.

Looks like not a lot of change. A few niceties, but $100 of difference? I do like the swivel sling mount as I do play ambidextrous CQB which with a sling can be hard work. Quick change spring, I guess is useful, but how often do you really change spring?

The maple leaf hop up and barrel was also Mentioned as well

as for spring, I'm with you. it's unlikely that you get into a situation where you need to change it quickly or often

I got a reply from RWA today.

That is quite a difficult question, 

Main difference we know is the Avalon one has a longer inner barrel with a M-lok rail and the VR-16 has a keymod rail, a few other small differences in furniture but that's about it. Also the Avalon comes with a Polymer gun case and the VR-16 doesn't.

To be fair the manufacturer would be the best to ask, the shops are only going to know what the manufacturers tell them in the brochure. 

Waiting on comments from VFC.... :)

Archived