How to make a two-tone AK look good?

lukeee.h
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

34 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Once an airsoft gun is in your possession there is nothing preventing you from changing it's status from two tone to RIF, provided you have a valid defense which is in this case that you skirmish regularly and can prove it.

Would it have to be regularly? Would you even have to have used the RIF more than once in an airsoft game to qualify as a defence? It would probably strengthen your defence if you used it regularly. But surely even once would qualify as a valid defence for owning it.

The weakness to the defence would be to be caught in possession of a RIF in a circumstance that would have no defence. "I played airsoft once, so a year later I then took it around to my mates."

The definition of 'regularly' is not something I'd like to comment on, but I'm interested in what the law had to say on the issue.

4 hours ago, Hangtight said:

Being under 18 you are not permitted to purchase an airsoft gun, although you are permitted to be in ownership of one provided that it was a gift from someone who is permitted to purchase.

@OP. Gift does not mean you paid the person other than the retailer, such as your dad, that's buying by proxy and still illegal - don't get caught, or failing that don't break the law.

As hangtight said.

If a person played airsoft, they (lets use the home office's recognition of airsoft through ukara) you can convert a two-tone to a RIF within 12 months and not be committing an offence if it's done for the purposes of airsoft, furthermore playing airsoft since the conversion makes the defence ironclad.

The defence to manufacturing a realistic imitation firearm is applicable to persons under age 18.

• Head Moderator
54 minutes ago, lukeee.h said:

For what it's worth, a while back I went to my usual site with a two tone G36c in blue. My friend had an m4 also in two tone, but he had covered the blue parts with black electrical tape, in a way that you could tell was covered but covered enough so that the gun wouldn't be seen from a mile away. Nobody at the site batted an eyelid, even when an official saw the gun up close when it was being chronographed. Does this mean it's perfectly legal to cover it, or just that his site is lenient when it comes to the law?

The tape is supposed to be a temporary measure, applied for the skirmish and then removed again when you finish playing, not permanent modification.  Sniper tape is a cheap way to cover the gun for a game day and is then easy to remove afterwards. That would explain why the site had no issue, the gun remains two tone underneath.

18 minutes ago, warlord said:

But surely even once would qualify as a valid defence for owning it.

Why would you need a defence for owning it?

18 minutes ago, warlord said:

The weakness to the defence would be to be caught in possession of a RIF in a circumstance that would have no defence. "I played airsoft once, so a year later I then took it around to my mates."

The airsoft defences do not apply to the crimes you refer to.

So, hypothetical situation...if I own RIFs and have a valid defense, at what point is that defence deemed to have 'lapsed'? Say for example health reasons have meant that I haven't been able to skirmish for a couple of years and my UKARA  has expired/lapsed. Where does that leave you in law? Or are the restrictions purely applicable to the purchase of RIFs rather than the ownership?

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

So, hypothetical situation...if I own RIFs and have a valid defense, at what point is that defence deemed to have 'lapsed'? Say for example health reasons have meant that I haven't been able to skirmish for a couple of years and my UKARA  has expired/lapsed. Where does that leave you in law? Or are the restrictions purely applicable to the purchase of RIFs rather than the ownership?

No defence is required to own a rif just for sales and purchase.

2 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

@OP. Gift does not mean you paid the person other than the retailer, such as your dad, that's buying by proxy and still illegal - don't get caught, or failing that don't break the law.

As hangtight said.

If you played airsoft, you (lets use the home office's recognition of airsoft through ukara) you can convert a two-tone to a RIF within 12 months and you're not committing an offence if it's done for the purposes of airsoft, furthermore if you played airsoft since the conversion your defence is ironclad.

The defence to manufacturing a realistic imitation firearm is applicable to persons under age 18.

So to clarify, say you've got hold of a two-tone, you've played before and plan to go again regularly, would you be breaking the law in painting it black?

3 hours ago, Hangtight said:

Or are the restrictions purely applicable to the purchase of RIFs rather than the ownership?

Read the first page of the thread.

1 hour ago, lukeee.h said:

So to clarify, say you've got hold of a two-tone, you've played before and plan to go again regularly, would you be breaking the law in painting it black?

Answering would contravene the forum rules.

As for whether you could paint it black, I can't recall where the list of colours which are not considered realistic can be found, sorry.

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, Sacarathe said:

I can't recall where the list of colours which are not considered realistic can be found, sorry.

The list is mentioned in the sticky guide called Popular UKARA Questions in the UK Law sub-forum  https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/topic/1254-popular-ukara-questions/

To class a gun as an imitation firearm (IF) it must be 51% government approved solid bright colour or clear see through (transparent) plastic.  Accepted bright colours are:

- Bright red

- Bright orange

- Bright yellow

- Bright green

- Bright pink

- Bright purple

Note that bright blue is not on the list, however, the general test would be whether it is distinguishable from a real firearm.  See the VCRA 2006 link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-violent-crime-reduction-act-2006-commencement-no-3-order-2007-firearms-measures

14 hours ago, lukeee.h said:

For what it's worth, a while back I went to my usual site with a two tone G36c in blue. My friend had an m4 also in two tone, but he had covered the blue parts with black electrical tape, in a way that you could tell was covered but covered enough so that the gun wouldn't be seen from a mile away. Nobody at the site batted an eyelid, even when an official saw the gun up close when it was being chronographed. Does this mean it's perfectly legal to cover it, or just that his site is lenient when it comes to the law?

A marshal on a site (even a site owner) is not an official. They could not care less if your gun was obtained in a legal manner, has been converted in a legal manner or any of that! They run the skirmish site and have no interest how/when/if you should have the gun you have.

As mentioned the law pretty much only (not totally, but mostly) SELLING of the guns. If you happen to have one and cover it up on a site no one will care as you are at an Airsoft site playing Airsoft and 100% of people would assume you have obtained the gun legally. Pls your defense of having said gun is the fact you are there and playing!

Although we have totally missed the original question:

"HOW TO MAKE A TWO-TONE AK LOOK GOOD?"

I think the best answer would be you cant!!

12 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Although we have totally missed the original question:

"HOW TO MAKE A TWO-TONE AK LOOK GOOD?"

I think the best answer would be you cant!!

I think lime green and neon pink/yellow make any gun look good.

6 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

I think lime green and neon pink/yellow make any gun look good.

Spots or stripes?

1 hour ago, Hangtight said:

Spots or stripes?

Obviously pink spots and yellow stripes!!! You have to ask???

Archived