What chronograph?

uniweekendwarrior
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Finally decided I need a chronograph. I don't have a massive budget though so what would people say is a good value for money chronograph? 

Thanks in advance 

It depends what you're going to use it for and how often. Many would argue for the Xcortech tracer/chrono combo, but there are plenty of reasons not to get one, such as owning lots of guns without threaded outer barrels, never playing cqb/night, budget of course, and so on.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

It depends what you're going to use it for and how often. Many would argue for the Xcortech tracer/chrono combo, but there are plenty of reasons not to get one, such as owning lots of guns without threaded outer barrels, never playing cqb/night, budget of course, and so on.

Doubt anybody would argue for the X3300W its a good bit of kit but its not made to be a stand alone chrono.

This would be your best bet 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/xcortech-x3200-mk3-chronograph-new-version

Whatever chrono you get, take it along to your local skirmish site and check it against their chrono. I've got a xcortech 3200 which gives good, consistent readings but comes in 7fps under the one at my local site. Which is a bloody nuisance when you think you'll just make it in under the limit and on the site chrono you're consistently just over.

• Supporters

Had a real cheap thing from EBA long ago, totally stopped working after a couple of weeks owning it (for literally no reason, nothing happened to it).  Next was an X3200 which used to give huge and ridiculous fluctuations in its' readings and made me thing I had gun problems, but I think I was unlucky with that one.  Currently got the X3500 and that's worked fine so far, but I'd say a similar thing to the above really; personally if I'm generally playing at sites with a 345 or 350 limit I'll aim for 330 tops, I've seen lots of differences in the chronos at different sites up and down the country.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

Had a real cheap thing from EBA long ago, totally stopped working after a couple of weeks owning it (for literally no reason, nothing happened to it).  Next was an X3200 which used to give huge and ridiculous fluctuations in its' readings and made me thing I had gun problems, but I think I was unlucky with that one.  Currently got the X3500 and that's worked fine so far, but I'd say a similar thing to the above really; personally if I'm generally playing at sites with a 345 or 350 limit I'll aim for 330 tops, I've seen lots of differences in the chronos at different sites up and down the country.

Might of been a fake X3200 as there was a few knocking around a while ago.

Agree with you on the fps which is why I always chuckle when people are trying to set guns dead on 350.

• Supporters

I'd be surprised if a shop with WGC which is always buying tons of stuff direct from the manufacturers had fake ones I'll be honest, built/looks the exact same as some others I compared it to as well, no way to be sure though. Every brand has its' blips and lemons, my one slightly iffy unit (measured right about half of the time at a guess) isn't a blight on the 3200 end of the day they've been widely used by a lot of folks.

I'd say if you can get a 3200 now for a good price, probably a strong option.

• Supporters

So far my genuine X3200 (has "shot memory" - clones don't appear to have "shot memory")

So far my X3200 "seems" to be quite consistent with other chrono's

This shot memory thingy is in there with some of settings stuff

not easy to tell at first glance the genuine from clones - bit like the SkyMax B6 chargers

Good shout Trigger on newer X3200 with USB power option

mine is nearly 3 years old so doesn't have usb power which is a pain if you have dead batteries & nowt in cupboard

(do not remove these from kids or wifey toys or they get the hump)

AHEM....

Any road up, Pete - AK2M4 mentioned about a new chrono soon....

Seems like the people involved might be ex XCortech and started making their own chrono

but details are a bit light atm, maybe they just very recently started up but looks interesting

Think later X3200's and deffo the fancy bastid X3500 had more sensors at the two points

"THINK" they increased either 5 to 7 sensors per point or 7 to 11

Anyway - this increase in sensors for row/point was to reduce the number of TOUT's

(well some ol' bollox they like to give out in the spec info stuff but kinda makes sense)

My ol' X3200 is still quite good but can get a bit fussy in indoor light & has to 101% aligned 

I would be very very happy with my old x3200 mk1 or 2 except for no usb optionor ext psu adapter

(guess I could wire something up with volt regulator - nah just keep loads of AAA's in the house & everybody is happy)

Archived