Shipping from USA

sniperslucky
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it is possible to:

(1) If i was to post a RIF from America would i still be hit with the import duty?.

(2) I was thinking of getting some accessories sent to the villa we are hiring and bringing them back i my suitcase which i don't see as a problem.

• Supporters

Well, will the RIF be sent from the US to the UK by you or by a retailer? If a retailer you will, if you do it maybe not, depends on how customs are feeling.

Accessories are fine, as long as they can be exported (ITAR restricts a lot of military items, so check first)

I always get hit by US purchases.

Seconded on what you can export with you...back in the day you could buy IR squares and patches from 1800 Name Tape, etc., now lots of restrictions.

Am sure specific airsoft bits would be fine.

I was looking to posting myself, and the only bits would be airsoft parts like grips ect that I'm finding hard to get online " russian molot fore grip for vector if it ever gets released.

Items bought from overseas / outside of the EU and posted to you have a £15 allowance.  For anything worth more than that (excluding the postage) you pay import VAT, which will be 20% of the item value.  

For a gift the allowance is £35
(Note that 'gift' means something that an individual has sent to you - a parcel from a Hong Kong airsoft shop marked 'gift - value $0.01' with your real receipt inside does not qualify as a gift and is customs fraud!  Legally you as the recipient could be held liable for for fraud, however customs know that this is pretty much the default for many Hong Kong imports and quite often they would be exempt from import vat or duty any way.

For items over £135 both import VAT and import duty could be payable, but if the duty is below £9 it won't be charged for

The majority of time for items imported by mail customs don't get involved, the main couriers are licenced and manage the majority of packages passing through their international hubs, they will tend to handle it all themselves - send you the bill and then pay your import vat/duty to HMRC.  This is why there is a typical handling charge of £8 for it sitting in their depot, being administered and handling your payments

When importing by mail, generally assume there will be 20% + £8 to pay, you might not get charged but at least you've taken it into account in advance
Unless the item is unique, then ideally support U.K. retailers.  Even if it is unique then a U.K. retailer will probably be willing to do the import for you - they get some business and they may pay less overall for postage and duty, the duty gets offset against vat (may or may not make a difference) But you could make a saving due to trade prices only paying for their profit.

When you are abroad and buy items to take back then the allowance is £390 (Bear in mind the actual price you pay while in America may be more than the price shown on display as they add local taxes when you pay, as opposed to here in the U.K. where prices shown are inclusive of vat)

** of course - check the HMRC website for the current rates and allowances, (the above are the allowances I have been aware of - and can also vary depending on customs category), ensure you can carry the items on the plane (whether in hand luggage or hold luggage) and obviously make sure it is legal to import / you have the appropriate information and documentation 
The value used for the calculation of import VAT and import duty is not necessarily the price you paid - HMRC can select the value that they will use which could be the U.K. retail price.  (This is more likely to occur if you attempt to sneak them in without declaring)
If you take valuables or equipment out with you that could flag up on return then make sure it is documented that you took them on your way out

Archived