New to the Game

Donzie
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi there im looking to purchasing my first gun. Someone i know is selling one of his and i really like it had a shot of it a couple of times. Just to see if i could Spray it myself to change it to the 2 tone look is legal?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't said to him yet as he is away on holiday just wanted to clear it up before i say to him. I have some Plasti-Dip about my house ( Neon Green), so was planning on using that to cover the parts.

Thank you very much James.

If its someone you know could you meet up and dip it before he sells it? From my understanding the law prevents him from selling a non 2 tone gun to someone without valid defence. 

yeah, he is a friend of mine known him for some years. Hes gotten me into the game been trying for about 2 years now sorry i didn't pick it up then.

PS. Might just wait i have just over a month before i can apply for a UKARA and just buy one at a later date.

A seller could be liable for a fine if they sell a RIF to a buyer without a defence under the VCRA

As long as you are old enough to own one, if your friend knows you play airsoft then they can happily establish their defence if necessary that they are selling to you as an airsoft skirmisher, so you wouldn't need to wait to compete your UKARA details if your friend is happy with the sale

As above Donzie, the VCRA is the relevant piece of legislation here, not UKARA (which is just a database). Weirdly, as long as you're over 18 it's never illegal for you to buy a RIF, so you're covered either way.

For your friend to have the defence he'd probably like to have as a seller he needs to feel like he's met the demands of the VCRA, which is that he believes that he's selling the RIF to you for "the acting out of military or law enforcement scenarios for the purpose of recreation" and that this will take place at a site with the relevant third party liability insurance. Under that definition you don't even have had to have played airsoft yet for him to sell you a RIF, but since he's played airsoft with you previously and recently then he's covered.

Long story short: he can sell you a RIF.

Archived