Is airsoft getting too expensive ?

Reb3l
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
7 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Or get married...

Or have a kid (with another one on the way icon_facepalm.gif )...

Does anyone know how long you have to wait after a vasectomy before playing airsoft again?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expensive? Yeah can be, but sh*t this is a hobby. If you enjoy it then it's down to you. If you want a free hobby why not start collecting cans off the street for recycling or something lol.

For me the main constraint is shift work. Forever stuck on either Wed-Sat or Sun-Wed shifts. I work nights so it's either go play airsoft after working all night or go work after airsofting all day. I've done both, definately prefer the after work shift as I can get home and collapse after a hard days snipin :D

I came from 1/8th nitro rally cross racing ( google and you will get an idea) 

That was a ferociously expensive hobby cars, engines and radio equipment would put you past 1k then tyres fuel oils and other bits added hundreds on and you needed at least 2/3 sets off tyres per race day and the fee to race plus the license fee. 

All hobbies are notoriously expensive however the thing that drew me to airsoft was you didn't have to spend lots and lots to be competitive. 

One guy who plays with us has a £10 rig, £15 combats, £80 gun and loves it and plays well his only cost is the fee and BBS. 

It can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. 

A £30 springer shotty is as good as a TM ksg in CQB. 

Most of us just like bling! 

As above really you make it as cheap or expensive as you want it. I mean there's plenty of cheap guns on the market and sometimes some good bargains 2nd hand. Once your setup you could enjoy the hobby for under £40 a go.. that's not that much different to going out and drinking.

I'm not a drinker and haven't bothered going into bigger towns nightlife since college so can't say what the costs these days are but I'm willing to bet 1 Saturday after drinks and taxis your looking at burning through a lot more than £40 ( unless your a good looking girl of course..) and like you say there's a lot less drama lol 

Actually airsoft is eating into my drinking funds :) I drive down, go stay over at a mates the night before and then don't drink much the evening before as running about with a hangover is not appealing at all. I then spend the money I save from not drinking on fuel and game play. So in the scheme of things I end up no worse off.

• Supporters
On 15/05/2017 at 0:06 PM, skillfulmmd said:

I agree to a point but I have found the more gear I get that fixes and issue allows me to focus on playing the game without worrying. A sling for instance so I can draw my pistol quickly or even just take the weight of the gun off my arms a bit, or a nice mag pouch that makes getting mags out quick and more efficient. Sure all that will add but I have found getting your gear perfect lets you focus on just having fun and shooting people and not worrying or feeling annoyed in certain situations. 

Youve missed my point entirely, buying a sling to enable you to draw your pistol quickly is a fix for a problem you have created for yourself by buying a pistol! 

That is how airsoft gets expensive. When you need to 'fix' something that isn't actually a problem in the first place. 

10 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Pistols are definitely really fun though (and I think that's why they're a part of many people's standard things to take with them on a skirmish).

I'm finding more and more that mine will just sit in the holster all day.

• Supporters

I think the only people who use them now are snipers and those with heavy support weapons. Snipers minimum engagement distance means you need something quick an easy, and support weapons are usually only full auto so in some sites you need semi only in certain areas.  Oh and of your doing objectives where you need one hand free, side arm is a must!

Ill admit, I think i have more pistol kills to date than I do with my rifles... I even spent a day just duel pistolling. It was great fun, I recommend trying if you fancy a laugh.

• Head Moderator

If I include buying a new car to carry all my kit, then yes, airsoft is getting very expensive. It is why I cannot afford to buy a second pistol. :lol:

Yeah maybe your right I don't even tend to use mine that often but that's one benfit of a sling. I can also keep my rifle on me when I climb thru a window or grab an objective that takes two hands for instance there are more benfits than just the ability to use a pistol.

8 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

Youve missed my point entirely, buying a sling to enable you to draw your pistol quickly is a fix for a problem you have created for yourself by buying a pistol! 

That is how airsoft gets expensive. When you need to 'fix' something that isn't actually a problem in the first place. 

True that, for ages I had no sling for my sniper, so when I needed my pistol I just shot it 1 handed or placed the primary on the floor/tree/log/mud.

Sling does come in handy when reloading mags though. Honestly I could have carried on playing with my UMP, I didnt have to buy a fully kitted out VSR, I didn't have to upgrade the UMP to 350FPS/shiny internals, i certainly didn't "need" to buy a pistol.

I regret nothing...

To echo the above, it really is as expensive as you make it.

I've always been of the collecting mindset, and have always liked cool-looking gear/kit (especially as growing up, I never had a lot of money and would be open-mouthed going around the stalls at the War & Peace Show - since 1987 - so now that I have some income, I am compensating for that period in my life) so I'll admit to buying 'Gucci' kit that is expensive. I square this with the 'buy cheap, buy twice' philosophy.

I have bought cheap airsoft gear before I was really earning a salary and it was utter bobbins. 

For newcomers to the hobby, middle tier and lower tier gear is at a better quality. It has never been easier to buy cheap but decent RiFs from Europe with the Polish lads at Gunfire and Taiwan Gun and they also stock the better entry level gear at an affordable price. I recently bought 1,000 decent branded BBs from Poland for a little over €1...1,000ml of green gas for €6...

EBay is also a resource that allows decent kit to be bought at good prices and so do the forums (more now than then...) and FaceBook (as I am led to believe).

Is it getting more expensive? I would say 'no'. Site fees in some of the places I have gone have slightly increased, and petrol costs continue to increase, but on the whole, I don't think there has been a better time to be a noobie.

Archived