Wastelander Loadout

Rattius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Morning

So I was at my local skirmish site at the weekend and noticed a sea of MTP or DPM. It got me thinking of alternative loadouts and I thought a post apocalyptic / Wastelander look would be cool. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get a cool look, and the right balance without going too far into a Mad Max look? I also don't want to look like i've just rocked up in my normal clothes!

Cheers

if you don't have a particular character you want to copy then a apocalyptic load out would consist of simple equipment /clothing that just works. If your good at crafts home make some to give it a authentic cobled together look also it will all probably be well used scavenged items so nothing can look brand new..would also stay away from anything to military like plate carriers etc , would imagine old surplus stores would be a good place as they would be robbed to supply alot of the stuff. 

25 minutes ago, lemon191 said:

if you don't have a particular character you want to copy then a apocalyptic load out would consist of simple equipment /clothing that just works. If your good at crafts home make some to give it a authentic cobled together look also it will all probably be well used scavenged items so nothing can look brand new..would also stay away from anything to military like plate carriers etc , would imagine old surplus stores would be a good place as they would be robbed to supply alot of the stuff. 

Yeah thats the kind of look I was thinking of. I would like to try and avoid looking like I've just rocked up in my day to day clothes though so I need to think of a way of adding stuff to make it look apocalyptic without going too over board. I like the idea of making stuff myself to make it look cobbled together. I was also thinking of carrying a outdoor type rucksack with a foam machete strapped to the side! Cheers for the ideas!

Regular knee and elbow pads dressed up with some 'distressed' paint and sections of a chunky mountain bike tyre?

tmp_864-9a05dfda8c63202a1fe047aeea2728851875521605.jpg.9a7d6af4739bd76d89c4cb8e00fbeae2.jpg

Bit over the top, but you get the idea. Just use your imagination. It's going to be practicable stuff cobbled together from whatever you can find and then repaired over and over with salvaged junk.

Check out some of the stuff from the open world airsoft game that Ballahack airsoft held recently. One of the guys turned up with a full working plasma rifle from fallout

9 hours ago, Rattius said:

Yeah thats the kind of look I was thinking of. I would like to try and avoid looking like I've just rocked up in my day to day clothes though so I need to think of a way of adding stuff to make it look apocalyptic without going too over board. I like the idea of making stuff myself to make it look cobbled together. I was also thinking of carrying a outdoor type rucksack with a foam machete strapped to the side! Cheers for the ideas!

The number one thing in an apocalypse  is survival, so think adding bits for that , at the end of the day normal clothes will be what people would be wearing as that's what would be available in large quantities for a long time however if your looking for a further down the line scenario then basically same deal but normal clothing patched up / reworked to meet the needs of the wearer. It might be worth finding a character to copy as that will give you a basis to build on 

I have thought about doing somthing like this for fun. I went to one game and there was a guy who had a post apocalypse outfit, if I remember correctly it was kind of like normal cloths which where wripped and dirty from years of suriving in the wasteland, and then makeshift armor which looked like random bits tied together by what ever method, looked quite cool. Even had some kind of wooden beam duck tapped to his leg as a knee / shin pad protection.

Cool! thanks for all the suggestions guys, theres good ideas for me to think about. Adding bits to normal clothes is the way forward I reckon. I'll be looking at everything from now on thinking how i can make armour from it :lol:

as an additional, in a post apoc scenario for weapons (if you have a selection) you would likely be aiming for reliability over all else; revolvers, shotguns, bolt action rifles, the Kalashnikov family of automatic rifles, as well as a bladed or blunt item to save on ammunition (personal preference is a sharpened crowbar).

for armour, these guys do interesting bits and pieces https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9C_9mgehMUp8BHeug6F8Dw

Some possible inspiration for you here and here.

My main recommendation, go for a loadout that is still practical for Airsoft purposes, not just stuff that would be practical in a post-apoc setting. I once tried using some old 58 pattern webbing as part of such a loadout. When time to reload came, I struggled with them.

My gas mask tube also got in the way when switching between primary and secondary weapons.

So while you might want something that looks awesome, don't lose sight of function over form.

Trinkets and tokens... Its all in the detail.

Old canteen hanging of your backpack, one sleeve missing or replaced with another cloth, bullet casing necklace or bracelets, fury lined clothing, old cowboy hat, you want it a little random ;) 

Spikey shoulder pads and plate mail armour are impractical as mentioned you need to skirmish in it!!

Best detail to remember to make it suitable post apocalyptic. Duct tape and cable ties everywhere. Anything that looks like it'd need constant repair, bits of armour, mask and goggles. Or you really feel like it something like a torch trapped to the front of your gun, but only as long and you don't mind ruining the finish.

Archived