noob needs info

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi folks im pegasus im looking to start airsoft as the army is an interest of mine but i cant sign up cz of medical issues so i would like to start doing this cz i enjoy this kinda stuff. my questions to you today are.......................guns, need them cheap as possible. rules, i understnd ukara but dnt know about any other rules. and last but not least, what would be the best loadout to take for someone with abdominal damage, i cannot run far or lift heavy things without pain, i suppose sniper would be but its airsoft n i feel long range shooting would be an issue lol.

Find your most local site and go and do a hire for the day.

There is no point in buying a gun until you have the ukara. And  there is no point buying the cheapest guns you can get because the internals are generally very poor. Once you have the Ukara ask again about guns, but instead offer a budget. So what can I get for <£150 that has decent internals ect.

Site rule change from site to site.

The ones that seem to be universal are:

You must have boots to play. They must offer good ankle support. They don't have to be army boots.

You can never under any circumstance remove your eye protection. If it comes off you must do a man down call and have a marshal help you.

You must always take your hits. Airsoft doesn't leave a paint mark. You get unlimited respawns in most games. If you get hit you take it.

If you own and use your own gun, it must fall under the sites own FPS limit. All guns will be checked. This limit moves from site to site.

Loadout wise, Anything goes. Some like police style kits (all black), Others like military kit. Jeans and a dark hoodie looks a little odd at some sites but if you are hiring they normally provide camo overalls anyway. Current MTP Brit loadout is very common and you can get army surplus at reasonable prices and the kit is easily durable enough for airsoft. Good boots are more important than anything else, consider them as safety equipment. The current issue Alt berg defender can be got in army surplus for about £35 in the worst condition, £50 in reasonable condition. Get a pair, wear them all the time until they feel like slippers. You can also get an osprey style plate carrier to keep your abdomen from taking shots if it's sensitive.

A typical Hire will contain. Gun, Spare magazine, 1000+ bb's, Overalls, Eye and face protection. It's everything you need for the day. Extra ammo at most sites runs at about £10 for 3000 bb's. Some but not all sites provide free tea and coffee and some provide a lunch time meal.

Lastly your medical condition. You can play at your own pace. Tell the marshals that you have an issue and explain it to them. Personally I'm a lazy player that never runs, It doesn't slow down my games. Airsoft engagements happen at decent ranges, you will always be looking for cover and using it. If you can't run it'll make falling back harder, but it isn't going to stop you been able to play effectively, and you don't need to go the sniper route. Airsoft sniping also isn't what you expect, It involves more moving and running than normal play to get into position and fall back, And is physically demanding with all the bolt cycling. You will see this on your first hire day.

The above post has covered a fair amount, there is also a few threads about how to get started on the forum so might be worth a search for them as well. But to be honest your best bet is to find a site ,  use the rental option first to get an idea of the game and how it all works before wasting a load of cash on equipment. As for load outs , you say you have trouble with carrying /lifting anything heavy so you may need to go to a shop and try things on as what might be heavy/light to one person may be different for you. Plate carriers for example can be quite heavy once mags etc are all included and might not suit you however a small chest rig or belt setup might be better for you. Gun wise if your looking for cheap then sniper is not the way to go. There are plenty of options in the AEG guns though that will serve you well, JG 36c , G&G cm16 , Nuprol guns , cyma Ak47 to name a few,all of which are available as plastic bodies and will be light.  Clothing wise boots and eye/face protection are the only requirements the rest is optional and can be gotten over time. 

As above. If you want to enjoy yourself and be able to play at your own pace without lugging a lot of kit around or too much jumping up and down/crawling through undergrowth then just play rifleman. Airsoft sniper is not about camping and the long wait. In order to be effective and get some proper trigger time then being quick on your feet and agile is helpful. Buying a sniper rifle isn't too expensive. Getting it to the point where it's actually effective can be a money pit.

Don't buy a cheap gun straight away. Hire at first. Airsofters are generally friendly and helpful. Once your face is known at your local site most people won't mind if you ask to take a look and handle a gun. Get a feel for what's comfortable and the right weight . Once you've got your defence then you don't have to buy a two tone starter gun. Keep an eye out for a decent second hand bargain. Chances are it'll come with some accessories, mags and batteries.

Don't get hung up on a load out. Your first couple of times jeans and a camo shirt (tenner from the local surplus place or look online) will do. A hat isn't a bad idea. You won't need a rig if you're hiring. The only stuff you'll be carrying is the gun, the one mag will be in it unless you're in the 'safe zone', bottle of spare ammo and a bottle of water is a good idea. When you do want to buy kit then go surplus rather than cheap stuff. I recently got a battle belt and harness, mag and utility pouches, all genuine issue and almost new for £50. Molle is a good idea so you can add /subtract and move stuff around until you're happy.

Most sites will suggest boots, some will insist. Surplus is fine, but if you want dry, comfy feet all day then look at walking boots. One of the most common Airsoft injuries is a sprained /wrecked ankle.

Gloves aren't a bad idea. Mechanics gloves are grippy and cheap. Getting shot on the knuckle without any protection sucks.

Spend as much as you're comfortable with on decent eye pro. It's got to be comfortable, fog free and protective. You'll be wearing it all day and at some point you will get shot in the face. Likewise with face /mouth protection. The hire stuff will do the job, but it's had other people's sweaty faces in it and it has been known for people to more than breathe in them. Finding diced carrot in a mask is not a good thing. The mesh ones are OK and can be bent around to get a better fit. The two strap versions tend to stay in place better, but it depends on the shape of your face.

Don't forget to have fun...

Given your medical conditions,id look for the nearest Cqb site and maby run a pistol to keep the weight down.

Or a quality polymer gun like a scorpion evo when you can afford it, those thinga weigh nothing.

6 hours ago, Kash said:

Given your medical conditions,id look for the nearest Cqb site and maby run a pistol to keep the weight down.

Or a quality polymer gun like a scorpion evo when you can afford it, those thinga weigh nothing.

CQB is a good point , the gaol for example is more slow movements sneaking through corridors than running about. 

If you post up your general location, I am sure people can recommend some sites. The sites range massivly in terms of physical energy and stress required, for example like above CQB at the jail can be more slower / sneaking, where as another site could be alot more running around.

Regarding your injury, its all trial and error, give your first couple games a try (renting) and see how you do. Then go to an airsoft shop and try on the various rigs, belts, vests and see what you find comfy.

Just make sure you have fun.

Archived