Ouch...

Hangtight
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Haven't skirmished for a while and played a full day at Combat South with my boys yesterday. There was actual running and I may have got a little carried away storming the Fort, but I did get the last guy hiding in the awkward corner.

Today I'm having trouble walking and I actually have to go down the stairs backwards, much to my girlfriend's amusement. It may be time to work on fitness levels, or find somewhere to skirmish with easy gradients and a ban on anything faster than a brisk walk...

Lol I know how you feel , last time I played at RIFT bomb dump  my legs wanted to fall off lol , not as bad as the guy who went home after dislocating his shoulder after falling over should think he was in a worse state than most

CSW's hill before the farm area is a real s.o.b. after lunch...

It's even worse if you're trying to storm the hill for a quick 'capture the flag' towards the end of the day, and the other team has set a quick time. And then you find out that Russ forgot to start the stopwatch...

I think it was probably 'forgot to' - that Russ...

Took my brother the other week for his first skirmish, my parents phoned to tell me the next day he was stuck on the couch and couldnt move. Couldnt help buy laught, especially after he made a couple of fat jokes at me and my friend, somthing along the lines of "I guess it would be hard for people like you".

ill be the same this weekend I've not been for about 9 months, but looking forward to getting back into Ito it 

Drink.  Actually being hydrated can let your body survive activity.

I had a bad experience once with de-hydration and am now a reformed hydrator.  

I used to suffer aches and pains the second day after (e.g. The Tuesday following a weekend). As a side effect of avoiding suffering from dehydration I've cured my general aches, now I just have the injuries Ive caused over the years, but not additional aches

You don't need any fancy regime and weird healthy stuff, just keep your body hydrated.  Bring water, even if it's the big bottle of own brand stripes label water

Don't take so called 'energy drinks' they are just sugar and caffeine which just queue up your body to crash later

I do use electrolyte sports drinks such as SiS and High 5, water will do you just as good on its own but the electrolytes do the science stuff of pushing it into your system.  Gel packs pretty much give an instant hit 

Look out for offers on them, and you'll often find High5 sports packs in Halfords and even TKMax

The High5 cycling pack comes with a good bottle, the running pack bottle isn't very big as its designed to be carried in the hand.  Both have a varying mix of gels and powders or tablets for adding to water

You should also stretch before activity -   But don't make the mistake of getting out of the car and suddenly doing stretch exercises, ease your muscles into warming up.  There's. no need to feel self concious about stretching, general walking around and moving some muscles may suffiece

As long as I don't crunch a knee pad or twist a leg then drinking cures me of the aches i used to experience

That's good advice. Too many people don't drink enough. I hydrate before, during and after any exercise, but in this case it wasn't much help for a creaky old git who's been sat on his backside all winter.

And kneepads are a good thing. Probably the only reason I've actually been able to walk off the site on a couple of occasions is because I was wearing my mountain bike kneepads.

Maybe skirmish sites should conduct a little group warm up at the start of the day. Cos a group of people wearing combats and armed to the teeth doing a spot of yoga in the woods on a Sunday morning won't look at all weird...

Archived