How I'm understanding UKARA

Mike1971
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Andyraven said:

.. no no one does but its the easiest way for you to get a UKARA and where i live my local charges £50 for a hire day.

my 3 games were expensive :)...so will mess up your maths!

Game 1 = £50 (£25 walk on fee / £25 rent)

Game 2 = £50 (£25 walk on fee / £25 rent, and only half day)

Game 3 = £427! inc £25 walk on

game 3 was day the AEG arrived with extra mags and walk on fee :) haha

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, djben9 said:

urban assault! ^_^ shame its going........ fecking housing developments ruin everything nice

3 minutes ago, djben9 said:

I won't tell you what it cost me when my paintball team took the option of a sponsorship discount on the latest gun (Good discount on a £1000 gun) which i opted out of because 'I don't need another gun' 

Which was followed by them taking delivery at a Christmas event and all waving shiney new toys in my face

So I 'had' to buy one, but kept putting it off as I would need the very > £1000 special edition which had a vast waiting list. Until I receive the phone call ... I'm in the importers warehouse and they have one.

I didn't spend £1000 or over £1000 in that phone conversation. Lots of hundreds and way over £427 

And I'm the old school lover of the team with the cabinet full of bargains 

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Andyraven said:

urban assault! ^_^ shame its going........ fecking housing developments ruin everything nice

yep, they do

still no exact date yet though....so trying to get there again soon!

not sure then where to go thats a nice urban site within 90mns??

55 minutes ago, Andyraven said:

Accidents happen and i would like to be safe then sorry. it covers me if i hurt someone by accident aswell.

Just seems like your paying for something you don't need.  The worst injuries i have ever seen is a dislocated finger, a few sprained ankles and hundreds and thousands of red welts from bb impact, part and parcel of the sport.

Public liability insurance is designed for professionals who interact with customers or members of the public. It protects against claims of personal injury or property damage that a third party suffers (or claims to have suffered) as a result of your business activities.

If you accidentally hurt someone at a skirmish by making them trip for example i can pretty much guarantee they won't blame you, accidents happen.  Airsoft is built on honesty, apologise, shake hands, move on.

Just now, djben9 said:

yep, they do

still no exact date yet though....so trying to get there again soon!

not sure then where to go thats a nice urban site within 90mns??

Your kidding, i was planning on finally going there this year, it's on my airsoft bucket list so to speak.

• Moderators

nope, it was in AI, closing this year after 10 years :(.....

not sure when but im hoping to go again 29th April......

slightly off topic so we should reconvene here

https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/topic/33939-urban-assault-raf-upwood-afuk-players-meet-topic/

7 minutes ago, sokar666 said:

Just seems like your paying for something you don't need.  The worst injuries i have ever seen is a dislocated finger, a few sprained ankles and hundreds and thousands of red welts from bb impact, part and parcel of the sport.

Public liability insurance is designed for professionals who interact with customers or members of the public. It protects against claims of personal injury or property damage that a third party suffers (or claims to have suffered) as a result of your business activities.

If you accidentally hurt someone at a skirmish by making them trip for example i can pretty much guarantee they won't blame you, accidents happen.  Airsoft is built on honesty, apologise, shake hands, move on.

would rather not take the chance. you don't stop paying home insurance becuase your house hasn't burnt down yet (if ever).

Yeah Airsoft is built on honesty, but that doesn't stop players not calling there hits. why would it stop an accident. you cant trust everyone in life. plus its needed for reenactment purposes.

4 minutes ago, djben9 said:

nope, it was in AI, closing this year after 10 years :(.....

not sure when but im hoping to go again 29th April......

slightly off topic so we should reconvene here

https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/topic/33939-urban-assault-raf-upwood-afuk-players-meet-topic/

i was looking into seeing if i could buy/rent The Grange (PE28 2BZ) before it was sold to housing developers.

1 minute ago, Andyraven said:

would rather not take the chance. you don't stop paying home insurance becuase your house hasn't burnt down yet (if ever).

Yeah Airsoft is built on honesty, but that doesn't stop players not calling there hits. why would it stop an accident. you cant trust everyone in life. plus its needed for reenactment purposes.

What are you taking a chance on, a bruised hip from a bb hit, a sprained ankle, what do you think happens.  The only serious injury you could ever incure is loss of sight. that's the reason we were eye protection.  You will never sustain an injury serious enough that you have to pay for your own insurance.  I've got more chance of being injured or killed on the journey to and from a skirmish than i ever will playing airsoft.

It might be needed for reenactment but not for airsoft.  You are not gonna get sued from someone not calling hits, that's a ridiculous claim.  If you can't trust your fellow airsofters then why even go.

Unfortunately you are fighting a losing battle, apart from some minor niggles people have with fps limits and bang rules for example, everyone likes the way things are as it works through policing ourselves.

• Supporters

Jesus Christ. The autism level in this thread is over 9000.

UKARA doesn't cost a penny, sites charge a membership fee sometimes, but UKARA itself doesn't cost anything.  

Let's do the maths on the £30 a year reenactment organisation defence though... short term it seems like a deal.  But!  Over the course of a few years it's suddenly not such a great idea (unless you're using it for reenactment as well, in which case why the f*ck are we even having this discussion?).  Over 10 years you're paying £300 for that defence, in that time I could have qualified for a UKARA defence at a cost of ~£75 (I refuse to count game fees, you would have to pay that anyway) and then the annual membership fee of £10; total cost £175.  Who's running the racket now? 

Alternately, do what I did: get registered, buy a good reliable gun and then just don't renew your membership. As a regular player your local site will re-accept you as a member at any point should you wish to get back on the database to buy another gun. 

2 minutes ago, sokar666 said:

What are you taking a chance on, a bruised hip from a bb hit, a sprained ankle, what do you think happens.  The only serious injury you could ever incure is loss of sight. that's the reason we were eye protection.  You will never sustain an injury serious enough that you have to pay for your own insurance.  I've got more chance of being injured or killed on the journey to and from a skirmish than i ever will playing airsoft.

It might be needed for reenactment but not for airsoft.  You are not gonna get sued from someone not calling hits, that's a ridiculous claim.  If you can't trust your fellow airsofters then why even go.

Unfortunately you are fighting a losing battle, apart from some minor niggles people have with fps limits and bang rules for example, everyone likes the way things are as it works through policing ourselves.

have you seen some videos on youtube? yes it maybe rare but still. i never said i would get "sued for not calling hits" you said Airsoft is built on honesty and i agree but still some players abuse it. Why would honesty stop someone blaming me for an accident that involed me. All sports/activities has its cunts.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Andyraven said:

i was looking into seeing if i could buy/rent The Grange (PE28 2BZ) before it was sold to housing developers.

just google mapped it.....in boris Johnson voice.....Very nice!!

14 minutes ago, Andyraven said:

have you seen some videos on youtube? yes it maybe rare but still. i never said i would get "sued for not calling hits" you said Airsoft is built on honesty and i agree but still some players abuse it. Why would honesty stop someone blaming me for an accident that involed me. All sports/activities has its cunts.

I don't need to watch youtube videos, i skirmish twice a week.  Cqb indoors on a wednesday with 40 players max and on a sunday in a 60 acre woodland site with about 60 other people.  Never have i seen or heard anyone have an injury worse than a dislocated finger and that was once.  No one has insurance, no one blames anyone else, first rule is basically you wanna be an asshole there is the door.  In the time i have been skirmishing i have seen one argument and that was just about hit taking.  I think you are taking airsoft far to seriously for what it is, a bit of weekend warriors having a bit of fun shooting each other with plastic.  If you truly believe you need insurance it is definitely not for you.  Stick to reenactment it is obviously more dangerous firing blank weapons, who knew.

1 minute ago, sokar666 said:

I don't need to watch youtube videos, i skirmish twice a week.  Cqb indoors on a wednesday with 40 players max and on a sunday in a 60 acre woodland site with about 60 other people.  Never have i seen or heard anyone have an injury worse than a dislocated finger and that was once.  No one has insurance, no one blames anyone else, first rule is basically you wanna be an asshole there is the door.  In the time i have been skirmishing i have seen one argument and that was just about hit taking.  I think you are taking airsoft far to seriously for what it is, a bit of weekend warriors having a bit of fun shooting each other with plastic.  If you truly believe you need insurance it is definitely not for you.  Stick to reenactment it is obviously more dangerous firing blank weapons, who knew.

why does it bother you so much? it comes with my licence.. 

and il state again... you don't stop paying for home insurance if your house hasn't burnt down.

just because you haven't seen anything worse then what you stated doesn't mean it wont happen.

you seem to be acting like one of these cunts i mentioned.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, sokar666 said:

Then you haven't played enough I have had a few injuries so far.

8 minutes ago, Andyraven said:

why does it bother you so much? it comes with my licence.. 

and il state again... you don't stop paying for home insurance if your house hasn't burnt down.

just because you haven't seen anything worse then what you stated doesn't mean it wont happen.

you seem to be acting like one of these cunts i mentioned.

Because you are making out UKARA defense is somehow ripping people off and retailers are making money off it but your £30 a year defense is vastly superior which it just isn't.  I do not like anyone attacking or criticizing airsoft, full stop.

And you cannot compare personal liability insurance to your house insurance, building or content, they are not even close to being similar insurance policies.

5 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Then you haven't played enough I have had a few injuries so far.

5 years give or take, maybe I've just been lucky or the other players have so to speak.

But still you wouldn't consider getting insurance, it's just not needed.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, sokar666 said:

5 years give or take, maybe I've just been lucky or the other players have so to speak.

Are you sure its 5yrs?

No I wouldn't consider getting insurance as I can't see any benefit. A crash helmet and some common sense on the other hand........

• Supporters

I was going to steer clear of posting in this thread but I feel a few points have been missed

why the 3 games in 2 months (or what ever it is)

- firstly it gives you a chance to see if you actually like airsoft, pointless shelling out if it's not for you

- secondly it gives you a chance to get some experience to work out what role you would like to play, pointless getting a sniper rifle if you don't like the role etc

- thirdly it gives you a chance to talk and maybe have ago with a regular's gun, saves you from buying some pice off junk from a "bbgun" website

- fourthly it gives you experience, in case you have missed that, you need it!! We have all been newbies, and we have all moan about the ukara system, but in the end we have just got on with it, its 2-3 months max.

7 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Are you sure its 5yrs?

No I wouldn't consider getting insurance as I can't see any benefit. A crash helmet and some common sense on the other hand........

on and off, wanted advise on getting back into it. used to live down south before moving back home in the north east and so was looking for fields, never actually went to northern alliance,

settled on nsc in newcastle.

i think i posted that when i registered to this site, so was basically just introducing myself, i didn't realise my choice of words or lack of would be an issue.  plus why am i even explaining myself, you don't wanna believe me, fine, i won't sleep any less tonight.

43 minutes ago, sokar666 said:

Because you are making out UKARA defense is somehow ripping people off and retailers are making money off it but your £30 a year defense is vastly superior which it just isn't.  I do not like anyone attacking or criticizing airsoft, full stop.

i never said it was superior and never claimed it was. all a was saying is you're spending more then you have to get on a Free Database just so the retailers don't get sued for selling RiFs to someone that commits a crime or hurts someone with it.

"UKARA is an association of UK Airsoft Retailers brought together to protect themselves from prosecution"

"some" retailers who are part of UKARA are using it to make extra profit with two-tone guns. (its a smart business plan and it would be foolish not to). But i don't agree it.

i also stated it would be nice if there was a organisation that worked like a UKARA but you paid annually, And it helped out the sport of Airsoft and the players. instead it helping out retailers.

this is all my own opinion as i said before.

i was never attacking Airsoft.

you went out your way to be a c*nt.

• Supporters

Teammate broke his leg on a game I organized. I saw some nasty cuts and dislocated ankles, two heavily bleeding heads - one on an other game of mine - that needed stitches. Bad things do happen.

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Teammate broke his leg on a game I organized. I saw some nasty cuts and dislocated ankles, two heavily bleeding heads - one on an other game of mine - that needed stitches. Bad things do happen.

Yep my count so far is broken finger, fractured foot, chipped elbow and bb shrapnel in the eye so yeah sh*t happens.

1 hour ago, sokar666 said:

It depends on what you want and the risks to you

Reputable sites will insure for public liability and employers liability.

Disclaimers show the playing signing off that they understand their responsibilities and that the site/organiser is not responsible for their own accidents - but that doesn't sign away any claim for negligence etc

if injured then we have the NHS etc, and I am in a job with vey good terms and protection from loss of earnings (go sick from injury etc and I'll be on full pay for months, then half pay then no pay. If I become unemployable I get a nice package

If I had the same employment cover as most people I could lose pay quickly, or if self employed then I'd lose money immeadiatley.  Such people need to worry about what the risk is worth and would be well advised to have sports injury insurance etc

if I do something to injure someone then I can be held liable

Under the UKPSF for paintball I have insurance (which is valid at approved sites & events - the injury element is worthless to me as it won't pay out until a minimum period and compensates for financial loss-my work scheme goes well beyond that.

Theres a cheaper uninsured membership (or free when they do a promotion) which I've used a few times, but currently I'm on the full insured version which gives me public liability too.  I never want to be in a position to use it

I have had a number of falls, and walked smash into a wall in the pitch black at drakelow - luckily with goggles on 

Never had a need for the insurance, but do know people who have had broken bones and a guy who smashed his face into a breeze block wall playing laser tag

i have been near to air cylinder failures and run like a girl from a flying cylinder (buddy did the noble thing and dived on it)

I wasn't present, but nearby there was a flash full explosion of a cylinder due to oil contamination, high pressure and fast fills.

The guy involved survived but was hospitalised with melted clothes, flash burns and chemical burns.  His equipment was smashed to pieces.  He didn't cause the contamination 

sh*t happens

Archived