Sci fi loadout and custom gear

PopRocket123
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been getting into messing around with my helmet and plate carrier recently and will I'll going to just come out as a geardo. I want to build a custom sci fi set of armour and probably a custom gun too. I was wondering if anyone has any photos of their loadout or tips for making it. My plan was polystyrene sheets called plasticard and a foam base. Is this a good idea or am I just going to end up with a load of broken plastic 

I suspect at close range I suspect your plasticard will get shredded. 

At home I once decided to do some indoor shooting by firing into a normal plastic bucket. It wasn't long before some of my shots managed to punch a crack into the bottom of the bucket.

ABS sheet isn't too expensive and will take a beating. Sticks together with plumbers adhesive, bends with heat, sands and takes paint. That and I've got access to big sheets of 2mm Perspex which will do pretty much the same job but doesn't take paint quite as well and is a little more brittle. I'll bring a sheet home and you can test it (shoot it).

The styrene is not all that strong, but it works really easy. Plan B Is foam cores then fibre glassed, although this is messy, smelly and time consuming. Strong though and might be an option for any of the weirder shapes you dream up.

I was thinking about it getting shredded. I can get it in pretty thick sheets and if it's padded behind then it should withstand getting shot. I wasn't going to do a full suit of power armour just a few panels in select places.

Best thing would be to try it out.. 

Worst case is it doesnt hold up, in which case you have a template ans technique in place once you find a suitable material.

Id say give it ago n see what happens! I love seeing custom gear on the battlefield :)

Put something together, then you can stand down the end of the garden while I shoot at you and see how it holds up...

You want to explain that to the neighbour that gets hit by a ricochet? It was bad enough the first time but when I'm dressed up as a space marine apologizing for the small piece of plastic that hit them in the head and explaining what happened I can't imagine it going well

• Mostly Retired Moderators

If you're going for a sci-fi loadout you can give yourself an easy headstart by getting a CSI XR-5 Rifle!

Based off an M4 gearbox so repairs will be super easy.

And they're only £140! Bargain!

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/search/xr-5

xr5-fg-1508w-advanced-main-battle-rifle-

xr5-fg-1506-od-advanced-main-battle-rifl

xr5-fg-1502s-advanced-main-battle-rifle-

I think they look pretty cool, and if I'm honest, I'm tempted to get one just because they look so unusual! 

Be a good back up for the rifle bag!

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Plus all the cool kids are making pretty awesome set ups with them. This mass effect N7 themed one is pretty cool (really like the scope)

l8c3y1iem9hy.jpg

With fancy-pants LED lights in the vents:

55qpplxnjfhy.jpg

There isn't a review of them in this months airsoft mag I believe. By all accounts it's a decent shooter. Does look hella cool. 

Archived