AEG beginnings

GumRapid
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey everyone. 

So before christmas I played my first game, came on here, asked questions. Since then I've spentt a lot for time reading, researching and poking then went off and played some more. I've played at 2 sites now, both full days of play as well as with some people locally through a client that I met through work. I've sampled a few different RIFs, run into problems, found what I like, what I don't and now I've got some questions. 

Firstly. what effects trigger response in an AEG? I see quite a few people commenting on trigger response but I am yet to work out how to change it. I found with a few RIFs, there is a noticeable delay in pulling the trigger and the little ball making the man put his hand up, actually to the point where the ball doesn't hit the man. Yes, I am new, so some of that is my ability in leading targets and what not, but sometimes it's noticeable. 

What effects range besides the hop up? After trying rental RIFs and other peoples RIFs I've noticed quite the difference in pellet pushing power. Learning to play has been interesting, finding the correct place to attack from is tricky but I've found it's made harder by a RIF that can't shoot further than a NERF gun. I find that guns that 'chrono' the same (or similar) can behave quite differently. 

On this point, what is a good effective range for a RIF? I mean what ranges should you expect one to get? what is considered 'standard, poor and good'?

I initially wanted a pistol, as I am not really a gun person. I am sorry to say I don't think they are particularly cool, a pistol seemed like a nice economical option for gameplay, the plan was to HPA tap it and then have fun that way, however after asking questions and being told it was a poor idea (although I must admit, I would still love to try it) I went back to the drawing board and played some more, tried some more weapons and have resided to the fact that I need an AEG RIF to be competitive, not only to keep me in the game, but to support my team as best I can. I am aware the GBB RIFs can be quite unreliable, inconsistent and quite expensive to maintain but, similarly to the pistols, appeal to me on a mechanical level, but the competitive nature of the hobby has driven me to seek out an AEG.  I do still find myself browsing websites looking at GBB pistols in bright colours getting excited over the concept of vaulting a barrier while 'popping off' suppressing shots like a slightly heavy set and ungainly neon Jean-Claude Van Damn before stumbling, dropping the objective and getting pelted with spherical plastic. If anyone did know of a way that running a pistol as a primary wouldn't be the equivalent of throwing trifle at the opposing players, please PM me. 

I think I've found a RIF that I would like to purchase, the G&G TR4 CQB-H EBB DST but obviously I am unable to test it. How do I go about working out if it is the right RIF for me? Visually the gun hits the right points, the stock looks a little unusual and the tan colour means I can lay a think layer of primer before I paint so I won't lose a lot of small detail, I don't intend on keeping it looking like a real weapon, I would like to paint it purple and orange. It has a metal body which will be sturdy, plus have a nice weight to it so it will feel a bit more exciting and, while I am not a gun person, the recoil aspect, no matter how small the effect, will hopefully add a little bit more fun and perhaps challenge, if there is any physical effect of course. The hand guard, while ugly, gives me a chance to change something about the gun as time goes on, with a rail kit. It also is currently on sale, and that is a large draw, a higher quality gun a lower price. However this sale price seems due to the fact it is a 'gen 2' and hasn't got a mosfet, but there is no denying its reduced price is a factor. 

The thing is, these things don't tell me how the RIF performs? Is there any way of know what will be the right pea shooter for me? RIFs are quite a lot of money for what I can't help but see as a toy gun and I just wonder are there any lemons on the market and could I be making a terrible mistake? Part of me wants to save up and go for a more expensive RIF like the VFC Umarex HK416D which, while looking even more like a real weapon, seems to be of higher quality, but does that mean it would massively outperform the TR4?

Currently my skill level is still beginner and I highly doubt I would outpace any RIF on the market, my tactics need work and my bad guy spotting ability fuzzy at best but that doesn't mean I don't want a RIF that isn't competitive and a great platform to build on. I just wondered what your thoughts are on mid range RIFs and buying my first one. I am finding myself slightly torn.

So range is also affected by the fps and and weight of the bb so smaller the weught the faster it goes and on terms of the rif you can say ah why not and go for it or call a store and ask if they have it and you can test it 

I'll try for short answers to a long question...

Trigger response.

A decent Hi torque motor turning fast gears off a decent battery (lipo) will get up to speed quickly and complete its cycle quickly. The decent battery is required to supply a lot of current quickly. A stock gun will actually run quicker and with better trigger response off a 7.4v lipo than the standard 8.4v rechargeable battery, despite the lower voltage. When switching that much current is much better to switch it electronically (Mosfet) than by simply banging two lumps of conductor together (standard trigger).

Range and accuracy.

There are three things that are really important for accuracy. Consistent power output (not how much, but the smallest possible variation), the quality and set up of the hop unit (the ability to apply exactly the same amount of back spin to every shot) and using decent, heavier weight ammunition (in woodland 0.3g, CGB sites will probably limit you to 0.25).

With a bit of work and a few quid spent on the right parts you can make a £130 gun shoot like a £350 gun. There are £300 guns that look and feel fantastic but when you look inside they are really no better than the cheap and cheerful stuff. Then there are the £250 - £300 guns that don't necessarily look the nuts, but are actually really well made, shoot properly and will last. After that you're into the high end stuff which generally looks, feels and shoots the way you'd hope for the money.

Looks like you've decided you like the look of an M4 type gun. Don't get too hung up on the way the stock gun looks. There are more external parts available for the M4 than any other platform.

If you like M4s and you want something that'll work, keep working, shoots properly and represents good value for money with quality construction, take a look at ICS. G&G seem to have had some quality control issues recently, certainly enough to be the focus of a few threads on the forum.

The choice of the M4 was primarily just because it seems to be the most prolific on the market. I had seen the pistol M4s the body of the gun is quite large and with the rail at the front I don't imagine it is the most balanced platform. I feel if I am going to go for an M4 I likely would be best utilising it for that attributes that make it a strong choice, such a set up with a stock to make it a stable platform. Visually I would rather a science fiction rifle or something from a video game than based on something real, but they seem overly expensive, poorly made and have limited options for in game. I did find this CSI XR5 which I think looks awesome but I can't find much information surrounding it sadly and thus suspect it might be rubbish. 

The ICS CPX HOG and CPX.08 seem like quite nice RIFs, are they of reasonable quality? 

Are G&P ok? something like the Kinetic M4 Free Float recoil

If it's an ICS then it'll serve you well. Perhaps someone else can chip in about G&P. Their externals are very good, but I know that some people have had issues with internals. I've heard 'toffee gears' mentioned a couple of times, but I've no personal experience with them. A quick form search should turn something up.

After spending my day off searching. I think I have found a RIF that appeals to me visually and seems to have a good reputation: The ASG CZ 805 Bren A1. While I do prefer the slightly shorter A2, I actually find the colouring on the A1 quite appealing, the A2 have inverted colours which don't really look as good IMO. While it is a bit more than I am looking to pay, I think it is most likely better to go with something that I actually want, rather than just trying to find something that is acceptable. Does anyone on here run this or have experience with this RIF?

Archived