Plate carrier

Connieboy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all  

I've only been playing airsoft a short period of time,I have my own gun and think it's time to sort out some sort of load out, I've decided to go for  a plate carrier so I can Load on what I want to load on.

I've narrowed it down to two according to my budget they are the Viper elite and the condor operator plate carrier, I'm swaying towards the condor at the moment, just wondering if any body uses either plate carrier and could give me their views on them.

Thanks 

Con 

Before you decide on a plate carrier, think about whether you're playing skirmishes (day games) or milsim that maybe last a weekend.

Plate carriers can be big and bulky restricting movement, so think what you'll be carrying.

If you're playing skirmish you'll be carrying what;

A spare battery or two? A few magazines? A couple of grenades?

If that's the case, have a look at chest rigs or a battle belt. 

I thought a plate carrier would be the mutts nuts, bought one, used it twice, and now I'm running a battle belt with 4 mid caps, two pistol mags and my pistol in a holster, a single grenade pouch and a small pouch for a spare battery and any tools.

When looking at different companies, don't feel you have to make a purchase because you are restricted to two companies due to a budget.

Viper gear is hit or miss. People don't mind it or hate it.

In airsoft, it's unfortunate there's a lot of companies on the market. You could pay £50 for something that will last you a few months or £150 for something that'll last you a few years with.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

It's just for skirmishes at the moment, I did originally look at belts and tried a couple on,just didn't like the feel of them.

my son has a plate carrier, I tried it on felt quite comfortable 

I have a hydration pack which will go onto  the plate carrier nicely 

Well if you're set on a plate carrier, see if there's any shops around you that sell them and go and try a couple on. 

If not, even look online at them and if you see one you fancy, stick the name of it into YouTube and see what comes up. Many videos will show you people wearing them - so you'll have a rough idea of how bulky or low profile they might be.

There's lots of different styles, as there's players at my local site that run surplus Osprey, other will run JPC style and others will run a general plate carrier (companies such as viper, kombat, 8Fields etc).

Do not buy a plate carrier without checking the HK retailers, though the pound has fallen, there are still opportunities to save 30% so long as you order snail mail (less chance of VAT).

That's if you're not buying condor, tmc, viper, AMC, etc

I run a plate carrier as I just like how adaptable they are, I would strongly suggest you keep an eye on the sales sections on airsoft forums,

I picked my warrior assault systems ricas for less than £50 I've had it over three years now & although I've had all sorts of different lay outs its always been solid and dependable.  

I'm in the market for a new carrier. Though I don't want or need a quick release (pull cord to disassemble) carrier, I do want one which can be opened at one shoulder so it need not go overhead, does anyone know if that has a special name.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

I'm in the market for a new carrier. Though I don't want or need a quick release (pull cord to disassemble) carrier, I do want one which can be opened at one shoulder so it need not go overhead, does anyone know if that has a special name.

You won't find a universal nomenclature for that setup with any sort of quick release on the straps, you'll have to hunt that feature down individually unfortunately.

My personal recommendation would be the FirstSpear STT because the Tubes on the shoulder straps and cummerbund make getting their rigs on/off an absolute dream compared to conventional setups (if that's your main goal), but I know that's big bucks.  The WAS DCS has pretty much always been built with a buckle on one shoulder strap if you want something that's far easier to get hold of.

As an alternative have you thought about an assault vest. 

It is lighter than a plate carrier, has as much real estate in terms of pouches and you can usually wear a camelback style water bladder with it too. 

When i I want to run lighter I sometimes switch out to my old dpm vest instead of my warrior plate carrier. 

1 hour ago, CKinnerley said:

You won't find a universal nomenclature for that setup with any sort of quick release on the straps, you'll have to hunt that feature down individually unfortunately.

My personal recommendation would be the FirstSpear STT because the Tubes on the shoulder straps and cummerbund make getting their rigs on/off an absolute dream compared to conventional setups (if that's your main goal), but I know that's big bucks.  The WAS DCS has pretty much always been built with a buckle on one shoulder strap if you want something that's far easier to get hold of.

http://www.flyyeindustries.com/ArticleShow.asp?ProdID=0654

Thanks for the intel. Maybe I can adapt mine, the back and front are not stitched together.

• Moderators

I had this issue a while back, ended up getting the warrior 901 chest rig and back panel in a sale, holds the hydration pack as well

My brother wears a <£20 one from patrol base, 8fields I think and couldnt be happier 

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

Thanks for the intel. Maybe I can adapt mine, the back and front are not stitched together.

Anything can be done with the right bits, some talent and a robust sewing machine.  If the Flyye 6094 clone is what you've got, it'd be fairly easy.  If you struggle to find someone to do the work let me know,

My Ricas is quick release but with a bit of washing line tied through it that feature is now defunct. 

Archived