Why do people 'upgrade' cheap AEGs?

Sacarathe

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, PT247 said:

I am cool with folk buying then 6 months later wanting to upgrade.... but to me it makes no sense to buy a gun and shove bits in it straight away when there are guns that perform better out the box than yours would after a new barrel and bucking. So if you can but better in that instance you are a mug to not do so.

I think a lot of people see the aftermarket widgets and constant chatter about upgrades and just assume that you have to upgrade things straight away. 

• Supporters

Or seeing how they suck at their first games they think: it must be the gun!

90% of the guns don't need any internal upgrade. The 10% is when the hopup bucking is crap or the barrel is bent or scratched.

A good clean, 7.4V lipo with deans connector, using good, heavy BBs and setting the hop properly brings every AEG to about the same performance level.

I remember my early games with my raider. I felt out ranged, out gunned and useless compared to most other players. Reading things online (here included) didnt always help.

There is lots of misinformation around. Longer barrel, better hop = more range and super fast bbs change battery for better ROF etc.. I had a complex about my gun compared to everyone else as I knew it was entry level and el cheapo it was frustrating watching bbs float off at the end of their range or dropping at peoples feet whilst I was getting hit.

But actually playing for a while and playing to my personal style and using the gun in different scenarios allowed me to learn my limits, just because I could see someone did not mean I could shoot them!!!

I learnt to play sneaky where needed to get closer, aggressive where needed to keep people in my range on my terms not stand behind a tree 100m away looking through a scope wondering why I couldn't hit anyone!!!

Maybe it was a combination of me expecting more from a cheaper gun / or me not being as super snipey ninja as I thought I was B)

personally I wouldn't have got a raider if I started again, I would go with something a bit better/faster/accurate but by starting with a cheap gun it has molded the way I play and made me realise range is not everything as I can get closer to most players even in woodland than they are comfortable with anyway ;)

Sometimes people need cheaper guns to learn how to play and how things work. How many times have we seen people admit buying a AA12 or sniper rifle as their first gun is a mistake? Better to buy cheap, learn and upgrade to a decent standard if you decide to keep it than buying a £400 quid gun and regretting it.

• Moderators
On 22/02/2017 at 10:59 AM, L3wisD said:

For me, it's because it's easier to say to the wife:

"I've just ordered a new part for my rifle"

Instead of

"I've just bought a new gun"

She'd go livid if I kept buying guns.

Upgrading the existing gun is good for keeping her sweet.

Just do what I do, take an empty gun bag to Firesupport or other retailer, say your getting it looked at, come back with new one in bag....done that twice now and she still thinks I have 2!!!

my AEGs are £180 and the other 3 between £280 and £320, only had rubber replaced on all 4 and spring on 2, one firing low on a M90 the other a DMR upgrade 

doubt I will do anything else unless broken as they are all firing fine 

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

I can just imagine opening a cupboard chock full of airsoft guns and them all cascading out like a tidal wave, and trying to explain it to the missus who thinks I only have two rifles and a pistol :lol:

Yeah - the classic:

" I'm just looking after them for a friend.... " - that probably won't quite cut it

• 3 years later...
On 22/02/2017 at 01:10, Sacarathe said:

I'm not referring to replacing broken parts or servicing old and out of warranty guns. When it comes to parts AND labour, I struggle to see the advantage to upgrading a <£300 AEG unless it's a form factor not available at a higher quality stock.

For me... I've got a new born child to buy for and my partner wouldn't be best pleased if i got a new gun, since i just bought two. So instead, i've bought external and internal upgrades from Ebay for relatively low prices to build myself a MK18, it won't be EXACT, but it'll look like one and will do me.  I'm using a Nuprol base to build onto that, changed the internals and handguard so far, aswell as added grip and sight (and other general asthetics)

P.S, i know i'm late the show.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.