Scope recommendations?

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Any scope recommendations - probably a 3-9x50? 

If you're getting a scope that size just for the look then you'll either need to spend a proper amount of money to get a decent sight picture or live with poor optics. On an Airsoft rifle it's big, heavy and overpowered. For a sniper you don't need anything more than a fixed magnification 4x40. At around the £50 mark you'll get a decent, bright sight picture, more than enough magnification for Airsoft ranges and a scope that'll take a couple of knocks without busting or going out of zero. Arguably 4x is still too much at Airsoft ranges.

2.5 x 32 scope

That would be an even better choice, if you can find one in the UK.

25 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

If you're getting a scope that size just for the look then you'll either need to spend a proper amount of money to get a decent sight picture or live with poor optics. On an Airsoft rifle it's big, heavy and overpowered. For a sniper you don't need anything more than a fixed magnification 4x40. At around the £50 mark you'll get a decent, bright sight picture, more than enough magnification for Airsoft ranges and a scope that'll take a couple of knocks without busting or going out of zero. Arguably 4x is still too much at Airsoft ranges.

2.5 x 32 scope

That would be an even better choice, if you can find one in the UK.

I'm not getting it just for the look. I've been using a 3-9x40 so far and the magnification is just fine - I usually keep it at 3x but I like being able to pop it up to 6 or so to spot out the hiders. It's too dark though - I mostly play in dense woodland sites. A 2.5x32 would be a terrible choice, at least for the purpose I'm using it for.

Hence, 3-9x50.

A fixed mag scope will have a much brighter image than a zoom scope at the same price point. And the difference becomes even more marked the more money you spend. I used to use a 3-9 x 40 for air rifle hunting, which ended up on my Airsoft sniper. For a while I used a decent 4x40 for hunting which meant I could keep shooting for an extra 20ish minutes at dusk. I now use a zero eye relief scope that has a 32mm objective which pulls in even more light. And I'm aiming to hit a kill zone that is no bigger than a 2 pence piece at around 40m in low light, which is done with 3x magnification. The 4x40 is what now lives on the airsoft gun.

If you want to spot people hiding you're looking for movement that'll give them away, and that's easiest done with a wide field of view and a bright, sharp sight picture.

You'd also be surprised at how easy it is to spot a bloody great scope from a distance. ;)

But if you're looking for a decent 3-9 x 50 scope that'll actually pull in light with a sharp image then look at the Nikon or MTC ranges. Not cheap, but hugely better than something like the £50-60 Nikko Sterling.

• 2 months later...

Search function ftw :D

I wonder if anyone has experience with Chinese scope suppliers? I thought about something like this:

3-9x50

3-12x42

They seem to be cheap for the advertised functionality (metal, zoom, etc...). But still- if it's crap, it's not even worth the cheap price^^

I am looking for a scope for my Mauser SR Pro Tactical. As @Hangtight stated earlier in this thread, there is no need for a zoom, so I am thinking about not buying those linked. However, there are scopes, which you can't actually spin the screws (you have to put off the caps of the scope screws and use a coin or a screwdriver), which I don't want to buy. I would like to buy one, that I can modify during battle :)

(I hope you understood by description^^)

I've never had to adjust a scope in the field. Screw on caps are what you'll generally find on the lower cost scopes because they're cheap to make and they keep crap and water out.

An inexpensive 4x40 Nikko Sterling or BSA scope will be absolutely fine, doesn't weigh much and will take a few knocks without breaking. The sight picture will be bright enough for woodland and you won't spend the entire time being paranoid about busting an expensive optic.

As with anything, you get what you pay for.

23 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

I've never had to adjust a scope in the field.

But what if you have a 2 kilometers shot and have to adjust the scope to match the wind and Coriolis force? :D

Screw on caps are what you'll generally find on the lower cost scopes because they're cheap to make and they keep crap and water out.

An inexpensive 4x40 Nikko Sterling or BSA scope will be absolutely fine, doesn't weigh much and will take a few knocks without breaking. The sight picture will be bright enough for woodland

Thanks for the tip!

and you won't spend the entire time being paranoid about busting an expensive optic.

You are probably right...that would be pretty annoying to see an expensive Swarovski scope breaking...

As with anything, you get what you pay for.

Yeah, this is why I am very skeptical with Alibaba suppliers...

2 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

Some really good threads already floating around on these.

Search the forum for visionking/vision king.

Yeah, I found this thread also by searching ;)

There are a lot of threads on visionking and a lot of good suggestions! Now I am looking for Nikko Stirling, BSA and Visionking^^

Is there actually any need for illuminating crosshairs? I was wondering while searching for scopes...

3 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

I'm not saying vision king are good or bad, simply that they always come up in the relevant threads and are thus a valid way to find them.

Yeah, I am not agreeing nor objecting. I just added visionking to my search list through all the airsoft boards.

However, do you have an opinion on illuminated scopes?

Low light, dark backgrounds and an illuminated reticule can be useful. However on cheaper scopes it's usually more of a nuisance than an advantage. It'll be either too bright or not bright enough, you forget to switch it off and the battery goes flat... But on a decent scope with an etched glass reticule, one press timed illumination and proper brightness adjustment it it's great.

2 hours ago, Hangtight said:

Low light, dark backgrounds and an illuminated reticule can be useful. However on cheaper scopes it's usually more of a nuisance than an advantage. It'll be either too bright or not bright enough, you forget to switch it off and the battery goes flat... But on a decent scope with an etched glass reticule, one press timed illumination and proper brightness adjustment it it's great.

Thanks for the explanation! There are soo many different kinds of scopes. A huge array of crosshairs, with and without illumination and the same amount of different opinions to each of them.

Is not very glamorous, but I still use one of these...

http://www.tasco.com/products/index.aspx?ClassID=13&FamilyID=166&ProductID=687

on my vermin air rifle. For the money it's hard to fault.

18 hours ago, Hangtight said:

Is not very glamorous, but I still use one of these...

http://www.tasco.com/products/index.aspx?ClassID=13&FamilyID=166&ProductID=687

on my vermin air rifle. For the money it's hard to fault.

Hmm...for 30 bucks, thats nice.

Are you using the same on your MB01?

The one on my MB 01 is a beat up old Bushnell, fixed parallax. I'm pretty sure they're not made any more. It's been a while since I bought a scope and looking around it seems the 4x40 has dropped out of favour. There isn't much around that's not variable magnification. But if I needed a scope to put on my Well if certainly be happy to put the Tasco on. It might look a little lost perched on top of a full sized rifle, but it would do the job, and better than a cheap 3-9x40. My opinion only.

Archived