Barrel Spacers?

Mos
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Going to make some homemade ones.

I am going to use electrical tape (insulation tape) for the barrel spacer material. It is either this or masking tape, but I opt for electrical tape as it seems a better choice.

So is Electrical tape a good material to use, or am I making a fatal error with my choice?

also, with the barrel spacers, they should be reasonably tight to the outer barrel yes?

Thanks.

• Supporters

For what gun?

AEGs usually only have space for ptfe tape.

Sniper rifles have a lot of space between the inner and outer barrel. Electrical tape is not very good because it doesn't stick to itself too good, and will move as you push it in, or pull it out. Wide masking tape is somewhat better in this regard.

Yes, it should be tight.

Also: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:779033

6 minutes ago, Samurai said:

For what gun?

AEGs usually only have space for ptfe tape.

Sniper rifles have a lot of space between the inner and outer barrel. Electrical tape is not very good because it doesn't stick to itself too good, and will move as you push it in, or pull it out. Wide masking tape is somewhat better in this regard.

Yes, it should be tight.

Also: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:779033

Sorry, forgot to state, but it will be for sniper rifles.

thanks, will use masking tape in that case then. Probably 4 spacers or so.

thanks

8 minutes ago, sniperslucky said:

go get some pipe insulation from a diy store, cut it unto strips and tape to the barrel

That seems a good alternative too. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Mos said:

That seems a good alternative too. 

Thank you.

Not a good alternative. In fact almost completely useless as a barrel spacer. Go with the masking tape.

18 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Not a good alternative. In fact almost completely useless as a barrel spacer. Go with the masking tape.

ah,

is it too weak? - that's my guess.

The outer barrel is many times more rigid than the inner, so if you're going to actually stabilise the inner then the coupler between the two needs to be solid. Masking tape doesn't stretch or compress, the adhesive is long lived and it's cheap.

That fact it doesn't stretch like insulating tape means that you can wind it onto the barrel with a bit of tension to get a good solid spacer that will be concentric to the axis of the barrel.

Three spacers will be more than enough, especially as it gets boring putting them on after the second.

2 hours ago, Hangtight said:

It's a gr8 alternative, if you cut a strip along the length of the insulation and wrap it around the barrel  then use insulation tape to hold in place i think you will see that you can get a very tight fit all the way down the barrel. I've done it and my sniper shouts perfectly straight.

On 19 February 2017 at 7:54 PM, Hangtight said:

The outer barrel is many times more rigid than the inner, so if you're going to actually stabilise the inner then the coupler between the two needs to be solid. Masking tape doesn't stretch or compress, the adhesive is long lived and it's cheap.

That fact it doesn't stretch like insulating tape means that you can wind it onto the barrel with a bit of tension to get a good solid spacer that will be concentric to the axis of the barrel.

Three spacers will be more than enough, especially as it gets boring putting them on after the second.

Does it matter which type of masking tape?

Or just the bog standard masking tape this used to be put over where you don't want to get spray paint on for example.

reason I ask this is because in many builds I've seen coloured, slightly thicker looking masking tape, which looks less papery and more rubbery. Maybe it's just me.

So which type of masking tape is it? Or just the normal paper brown/whitey type colour stuff which is as fin as paper?

thanks

4 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Just stop half arsing it and bore out the outer barrel then fit titanium shims at equal distances inside. Keep it within 0.01mm and never worry about barrel wobble again.

Big LOLZ :D

12 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Just stop half arsing it and bore out the outer barrel then fit titanium shims at equal distances inside. Keep it within 0.01mm and never worry about barrel wobble again.

chill out

2 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

What erm excuse me why would I need to chill out?

Are you a bit you know......speshal?

Yes,

I am speshal. I'm sure I've said before..

dont need to be so harsh :/

Mos, I am just uploading a VSR stripdown video. It might not be the be all and end all of VSR videos but I do suggest you watch it once it is up on the tube of ewes.

Frog tape

Don't know (or particularly care) if it's better /worse at being a barrel spacer than dirt cheap stuff from the market, but this is what I used because it's what I had laying around. It worked. Simple.

9 hours ago, PT247 said:

Mos, I am just uploading a VSR stripdown video. It might not be the be all and end all of VSR videos but I do suggest you watch it once it is up on the tube of ewes.

Will do when I get back from school, for sure.

4 hours ago, Hangtight said:

Frog tape

Don't know (or particularly care) if it's better /worse at being a barrel spacer than dirt cheap stuff from the market, but this is what I used because it's what I had laying around. It worked. Simple.

Ah thanks Hangtight.

Archived