Soldering... And how not to do it

Hangtight
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Hangtight said:

Passable... You're a tough audience! :D

Haha.

Colour looks slightly off in pic like there is a yellow tinge in a portion so could be cleaner and I prefer to flatten the wire out so you get a stronger  connection.  Seen a lot of joint breaks on deans connections because of how stiff they can be to separate.

Didn't say it was bad I am just a bit OCD for that sort of thing.

There's just a hint of the residue from the jelly flux I use which is the yellowish colour, but this was taken before I used a little isopropyl to clean it off. I've had mixed results trying to flatten the wire a bit, so I go for leaving it round(ish) so I can see a nice meniscus of solder has flowed right round the contact area. Not had a soldered joint fail yet so I must be doing something right!

I know what you mean about being a bit OCD with stuff. I can't stand blobs of excess solder... Or insulating tape rather than heatshrink...and as for different length bits of heatshrink on adjacent wires...

• Supporters

I am a bit fussy about the quality of the joint but not for exactly matching heat shrink lengths. Thats not not being picky thats a condition.

You can quite regularly see a yellow tinge where the plastic has got warm and leeched into the solder. It doesn't have any significant effect just annoys me.

• Supporters

I would of soldered above the positive terminal imho

I now just buy clear heat shrink and be done with it

Nowt wrong using black or both red heat shrink at a push

Good to see the grip deans being used if possible

Even though they are most likely snide deans

Makes it a bit easier to separate especially with gloves

These connectors have a lip all the way around which means you get slightly less contact area if you solder on the outside of the terminal,and you're more likely to melt the plastic. And these are really chunky silicone coated leads from a couple of brick lipos I had laying around so doing it that way meant I could get the heatshrink tucked right into the recess nice and neat. No one will ever notice, but I know they're there! ;)

Archived