SRC M4 Receiver Advice Needed

Cupcakes
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, First post of the forums so still abit of a noob. As the title would suggest im seeking advice on a metal receiver set for my src m4 as it seems to be slightly different to all the other brands. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Different how? I know with my SRC you need to take the pistol grip and buffer tube before you can split the receiver but from what I can tell the gearbox should still fit in other receivers. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but that's just what I can see with mine.

You can split the receiver by simply taking out the front pin, In order to take out the actual gearbox however you have to do all that. In terms of the differences i was told the gearbox was slightly longer than some and there may be some weird fitment issues. If it would fit most receivers then can anyone suggest a good set.

I've had a couple of SRC weapons and the only thing to be cautious of is the front hand gaurd as its slightly smaller/bigger can't remember which if your going to change that apart from that all ok, still have my first metal receiver 9" free float RIS rail, full stock, only the receiver is SRC 

• Supporters

I have a couple of the SRC & SRC Bulldog's sportsline

I also bought a busted one off somebody who tried to replace the brittle receiver with a metal one

Think the classic TM plastic tabs broke off the original top receiver and thought he would reshell it

But didn't quite go according to plan so he cut his losses and sold it on....

https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/topic/23093-src-m4a1-for-sale-or-swaps/

The problem is the tiny 3mm drift pin was slightly out when the SRC box was installed

we are talking about half a milimeter out - not much but enough that it wasn't going go through without force or a mod

another "regular" box aligned perfectly

To be brutally honest with that info:

Either expect a little bit of work - but it can go

or

cut your losses now & get another gun

What you decide is up to you and depends on your base gun and what not...

if you have the 6mm green bushings cheapo gearbox with the two piece hop unit then consider another gun perhaps

Not that a one piece hop unit will cost much but it is one more thing that will changing on a metal receiver

The 6mm plastic bushing replace, the gears are toffee - the sector is absolute dire quality

The rest of the box isn't bad at all if you have the double o-ring brass cylinder head etc.....

But think SRC are not in same league as G&G & ICS from Taiwan

The cheap Sportsline SRC's should be stopped and retailers should maybe stock the cheap Cyma's imho

Don't get me wrong - it is do-able but don't go paying top dollar for a receiver then still have a bit of grief

plus no matter what it will still be cheap basic gearbox in a better receiver is what I'm saying...

No matter what people do their SRC's or G&G's it will still be nigh on a SRC or a G&G is what I mean

Look around but weigh up the options I would suggest

I'll shortly be doing a full service and set up on my son's SRC, so I'll check compatability with other parts I have. If there are any issues I'll post them in this thread.

13 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

I'll shortly be doing a full service and set up on my son's SRC, so I'll check compatability with other parts I have. If there are any issues I'll post them in this thread.

Which SRC rifles do you guys have?

• Supporters
On 2/17/2017 at 11:05 PM, Sitting Duck said:

cut your losses now & get another gun

This.

The SRC gearbox shell is not very well designed and is a complete ar5e to put back together. It doesn't locate things like the anti reversal latch very well. It genuinely took two people using both hands and a variety of pokey things to get everything to locate so you can close up the shell halves. With the stock gears there is little scope for getting it shimmed really nicely as there is very little room for shims. The gears are just too tight a fit in the box. And the shell seems to be made of cheese. Screws have a nasty habit of unscrewing complete with the thread they are screwed into.

Piston and cylinder head are alright though...

Archived