New limits...

Samuelol
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I recently moved to HPA, both wolverine and Tippman. 

How will the new limits effect me? Am I royally screwed? 

Any input is Extremely appreciated. Thanks guys.

• Supporters

The simple answer is no one knows at the min

a high degree off common sense must be applied in implementing and executing the new laws

i am in the same boat, all we can do is wait and see what happens, no point panicking yet

• Supporters

Like Spoon said no one really knows. It's very much a grey area at the moment. I gave up HPA a while ago had my fill of it and won't go back.

It all depends on whether they say about the regulator being opened to it's max PSI for testing although no one really runs it that way. Easiest way i can think of to make your HPA RIF comply with the new law is use an Orga barrel 6.23 I used to have one in mine and Fps at 120psi was 365. With having a Tippmann though that wouldn't work.

1 hour ago, Qlimax said:

Like Spoon said no one really knows. It's very much a grey area at the moment. I gave up HPA a while ago had my fill of it and won't go back.

It all depends on whether they say about the regulator being opened to it's max PSI for testing although no one really runs it that way. Easiest way i can think of to make your HPA RIF comply with the new law is use an Orga barrel 6.23 I used to have one in mine and Fps at 120psi was 365. With having a Tippmann though that wouldn't work.

But that's the max operating limit of the HPA engine, not the max limit of the air line... which based on the way we've been told that they operate they'll likely put 800+ psi into it.

What's the point in suggesting that for GGBR they'll put in the strongest gas available if for HPA they won't just hook it up to a compressor running up to 300 BAR and watch it explode.

The TM gas guns are designed for a relatively weak gas and peeps doubt govt will test with the gas they were designed for, so there's no reason to believe they will comply with the manufacturer recommendations for HPA engines.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

But that's the max operating limit of the HPA engine, not the max limit of the air line... which based on the way we've been told that they operate they'll likely put 800+ psi into it.

What's the point in suggesting that for GGBR they'll put in the strongest gas available if for HPA they won't just hook it up to a compressor running up to 300 BAR and watch it explode.

The TM gas guns are designed for a relatively weak gas and peeps doubt govt will test with the gas they were designed for, so there's no reason to believe they will comply with the manufacturer recommendations for HPA engines.

GBBRs obviously they'll test them on te strongest gas but for HPA the fairest way is running it from its regulator because that's how it operates. They can't run it from a HPA bottle with a none regulated line like a Tippmann it'll explode so they won't know if it's a section 5 or not. Some of what we've said is theory and no one will know until the full facts have been published. 

28 minutes ago, Qlimax said:

GBBRs obviously they'll test them on te strongest gas but for HPA the fairest way is running it from its regulator because that's how it operates. They can't run it from a HPA bottle with a none regulated line like a Tippmann it'll explode so they won't know if it's a section 5 or not. Some of what we've said is theory and no one will know until the full facts have been published. 

Okay, but then why is it logical that they'd put the strongest legal gas in a GBBR ignoring the manufacture recomendations but for a HPA engine they wont do the same?

I'm really curious why people think they will ignore these recommendations for GBBR but not HPA?

What makes me even more curious is what happens to paintball if home office comes back with "no more HPA". I guess the paintball guns have hardware limits like tippmann rifle?

• Supporters

Manufacturer recommendations are pretty meaningless, the key here is that the gun is CAPABLE of discharging a projectile above the specified muzzle energy. 

Look at brocock pistols a few years back, clearly the manufacturers recommendations didn't include modifying them to fire real ammunition... but they could. 

The legislation is getting more and more muddled as people with too little practical knowledge get involved. They're worrying about whether you can spit a little plastic ball at over 1J, when I can go out and buy a slingshot that is capable of delivering around 50J with the right ammunition. We already have laws in place that are supposed to prevent people running around the streets taking pot shots. In this case it's the legitimate owners, users and retailers that have to bear the brunt, while it won't make the slightest bit of difference to antisocial elements.

And while we will jump through the damn hoops in order to continue our fun I can't see how this does anything but potentially criminalise otherwise law abiding people.

• 1 year later...

I’m just getting into it, if you get a good regulator, you can turn down the gas pressure to pretty much whatever you want, so I don’t see a problem. I’m happy to argue the point over “potential” and “actual” performance.

I believe that any testing done will be similar to air rifle standards where the heaviest projectile producing the maximum joules will be used, with the maximum possible output of the gun, not what we would use it at.

You could always set a relief valve into the system. Compressors have used them for decades. T section on the pipe and a secondary pipe to the relief valve.

You use this to limit the total pressure the engine can receive. Say for instance you shoot at 75psi, and 110 puts you over the legal limit. Using a 100psi relief valve you can never go into the illegal range regardless of what bottle you fix to the gun, or how much you open the regulator.. It'll be blowing off and rendered safe before that point.

81VdxLgJK5L._SY550_.jpg

This seems to be an old thread that was revived lol, im curious as well to what the limits are as HPA is on my list to buy... 

Archived