Mk2 CRB shooting a little wild

Reality bites
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

3rd time out with my mk2 Krytac at the weekend and my worst.  Had some feeding issues which I think was user error and over loading the mags so the bbs didn't wind properly.

my main issue was accuracy.  First couple of outings, I could hit coke cans at 40yards....this time out the bbs seem to spiral in all directions.  Every 4-5 would spiral left or right.  They didn't drop short as such but wouldn't stay straight.  It was a calm day so not like wind was pulling them. 

Ive also not altered the hop since my first outing as it was shooting great.

Ive used the same 0.25 bb blaster ammo since owning the gun so haven't changed anything there.  I'm gonna give the barrel a quick clean incase it's comthing simple but anything else I should check?

• Supporters

Clean it first then try again as any excess crap in the gearbox gets blown through the gun when you first use it.

Second thing to check is the bucking if it came out the factory not installed properly it could be slightly bunched up. This will cause feeding and accuracy problems that slowly get worse. 

29 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Clean it first then try again as any excess crap in the gearbox gets blown through the gun when you first use it.

Second thing to check is the bucking if it came out the factory not installed properly it could be slightly bunched up. This will cause feeding and accuracy problems that slowly get worse. 

Noob question, I'm comfortable runnning a swab through the barrel, but I'm assuming it's a disassemble to check bucking?  (I will google maintenance video in the meantime).

also, any benefit in upgrading it while I'm in there?

don't worry about "upgrading" a Krytac, get it running right and it'll be sweet. It is a very easy thing to check, use YouTube, loads of guides.

• Supporters

Changing the bucking is a simple thing to do but I would recommend watching a couple of vids first. You want to remove it to clean it anyway, just use a bit of lukewarm soapy water rinse it well and leave it to dry. Check it for any signs of distortion around the lip and internal nub if those are fine then just put it back in. No need to change it until it goes as it works really well so there isn't really an upgrade bucking.

3 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Changing the bucking is a simple thing to do but I would recommend watching a couple of vids first. You want to remove it to clean it anyway, just use a bit of lukewarm soapy water rinse it well and leave it to dry. Check it for any signs of distortion around the lip and internal nub if those are fine then just put it back in. No need to change it until it goes as it works really well so there isn't really an upgrade bucking.

Cheers, found a video.  Will take it apart one night this week and Give it a good clean.

thanks for the help.

• Supporters

I think some Krytac have dropped the ball recently.

My friend started Airsofting around mid last year after I invited him and he wanted to get his own gun.

Taking my advice (and I feel like a mug because if it now) I recommended to him a Krytac M4 CRB mkii  as I thought what could go wrong? Oh boy.

He got it brand new from Pro Airsoft Supplies with a brand new PTS PMAG, took it home and found that 1 or 2 out of every 5 or 6 shots would not shoot straight regardless of the setting to the hop unit.

He took it back to the shop several times with no luck fixing it and even had a full exchange with still the same issues. He found that G&G mags worked ok for him reducing the chance of a crap shot and eventually settled on G&P ball mags but still gets the occassional weird shot.

I go at mine from pro airsoft supplies, they have been OK to be fair.  First couple of days out have been fantastic, I loved it.  This weekend was fustrating.

i had misdeeds and flyers.  I think I know why the mis feeds, will confirm next time out and I will clean up before looking elsewhere for the flyers.

i kinda think that all guns will have days like this.....I run round a wet Forrest, storing mags in pockets, which will only amount to feeding crap through the gun.  Guess it's gonna affect them eventually.

Quick update.

took the gun apart tonight, was easier than expected.  I was careful to store all the parts I took off, cleaned the barrel and the hop unit of excess grease and crap and re assembled.

i test fired a few shots in the Garden and it appeared ok, but I won't know the difference until I test fire in the light at my local site or range.  

My my concern is that upon reading the manual, there's mention of a second spring on the hop unit https://krytac.forumchitchat.com/post/crb-shooting-low-fps-according-to-field-chrono-7772601

EDIT - I'm an idiot....found the spring I was certain didn't fall out and have replaced it.  Kinda don't see the point of the little second spring tho

see above link for reference.  I didn't see this spring and am certain it didn't just drop out?!  My other concern and excuse my noob description but there were wear marks (small grooves) on the plastic tip from the piston section,. Is that normal?

After the clean up. I've run it through a chrono and getting 270-273 on .25s

i know getting to 350limit of .2s isn't the be all and end all but it's dropped 15fps since my last outing,. I was at 325-328 on .2s last time out.  My current levels suggest 300-310 on .2 which is low?!

7 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Yeah you are on about 310/315fps.

A lot of guns drop a bit of fps after the first few games as the spring beds in.

Did you check the bucking?

Yèah, it appeared ok although it's the first time I've had one in my hand.

wasnt damaged but was caped in silicon grease.....cleaned the hop a little and left a costing on the bucking too.

Cleaned the barrel through too....that resulted in some dirty cloth but looked fine after.

• Supporters

You might find the 10 fps drop is just where you have put your hop back together. If you had silicone grease/oil on your bucking then that would of caused the flyers. It might also mean that your hope was set a click higher than it needed to be because the bb was slipping and not gettting as much backspin. Dial your hop back to zero and then dial it a click at a time until your bbs are flying true then retest your fps.

6 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

You might find the 10 fps drop is just where you have put your hop back together. If you had silicone grease/oil on your bucking then that would of caused the flyers. It might also mean that your hope was set a click higher than it needed to be because the bb was slipping and not gettting as much backspin. Dial your hop back to zero and then dial it a click at a time until your bbs are flying true then retest your fps.

Cheers, I'm going to take it down to my local rifle range at the weekend and test properly.  

I had noticed a drop in fps at site before taking things apart to clean....may have been just things settling but it remained the same first 2-3 outings previous,

• Supporters

Theres lots of reasons for a small fps drop on a new gun wouldn't worry unless it keeps degrading.

As for the clunk you mentioned earlier its quite normal. As someone else mentioned its screeches you need to worry about, trust me the little krytac thud is nothing compared to the odd noise my gun makes.

I've tried to video the 'strays' I'm getting.  I'm aiming for the brown spot on the fence in each and you can see it's not as good a stream of shot as you'd expect.  It was certainly better than this first few games and those strays obviously veer off more at longer distances,. That fence is 11meters away.  At 30yards, those strays are a good couple of feet off target.

Mmmm.....video not the clearest :-(

Can see that the camera is moving, so can only assume the gun is too. I'd look at boosting the fps a tad to get closer to your site's limits, that way you would be able to use heavier BBs without them travelling so slow folk can dodge them. I run 0.3g in my 1.14j Krytac. Do remember these are airsoft guns though and will never shoot as well as an air rifle. Is the accuracy the same when shooting on semi? I so rarely fire mine in full auto I've no idea what it's groupings are like on it.

It's not as bad on semi, however you do notice a flier in every 5-6 shots.  Ive been using 0.25s and have done since owning it.....was fine and should be impacted by the weather so much in the garden at that distance?

You can see the last but one shot veer 3-4 inches left.....I know what you mean about comparing it to air rifles, but it was so bob on in my first few games that I'm noticing it.  Getting feed issues to which is annoying me but may be a mag issue (although it's the mags which cam with the gun)

• Supporters

Still think the feed lip on your bucking might be distorted. It can be a difficult thing to spot but will lead to feed issues and inconsistent accuracy.

Problem is without physically having the gun to look at its very hard to diagnose whats wrong with minor inconsistency issues as so many things can affect an AEG.

Just remembered how much I hate the AEG whine when I watched your vid though.

Archived