UK/IE Law

Runion
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm 16 yo, and I have never played airsoft before. I have a keen interest to get started. I live in Northern Ireland close to the border of Republic of Ireland. As the UK law states you can buy an IF gun but it messes with the idea of realism, and you must be over 18 and a registered airsofter with membership to an insured skirmish site to purchase a RIF gun. To get to my question, If I was only to play in the Republic of Ireland and purchase my RIF from a store in the Republic of Ireland would I still have to abide by the laws of the UK?

How is the republic law different ? Do they allow the purchase of RIFs by minors there ?

I think if you keep your gun in Eire, its fine, but if you cross the border with it, technically your purchase could be questioned if you were stopped.

Isn't Eire limited to 1Joule ?

Is Northern Ireland also limited to 1 Joule ?

The mainland allows a higher FPS.

Playing devils advocate, if I lived in N.Ireland and drove just across the border to an airsoft shop in Eire, purchssed a black RIF, played at a site in Eire with it and then left the RIF with a friend there, before driving back across the border to my home, how would that be importing a RIF into the UK?

Answering my own earlier questions, it seems all of the island is set at 1J but it looks like you can buy a RIF in Eire if you are over 18.

I think the republic law is different as I went onto airsofteire.com FAQ and it says they legal, and also says no liscense is needed for an airsoft gun, it also states any airsoft gun that's muzzle energy is one joule or less is no longer classified as a firearm. It has no information detailing of what age you must be to purchase either. Northern Ireland is also capped at 1 joule muzzle energy.

• Supporters

Playing devils advocate, if I lived in N.Ireland and drove just across the border to an airsoft shop in Eire, purchssed a black RIF, played at a site in Eire with it and then left the RIF with a friend there, before driving back across the border to my home, how would that be importing a RIF into the UK?

Answering my own earlier questions, it seems all of the island is set at 1J but it looks like you can buy a RIF in Eire if you are over 18.

That would be absolutely fine, but what 16yo is going to do that? He's going to take it home.

Archived