Time for a new gun

ghostwalker
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So it's the end of January. Most resolutions are out of the window and some people's prized guns may follow.

I have been the owner of several mid ranges guns over the last couple of years, some good and some not so good.

But i feel it's time to step up the game and move to a higher end platform.

Something with recoil would be nice, but not essential.

But good out of the box performance is a absolute must, along with ease of availability for things like magazines.

I'm looking to save up some cash and have a budget of about £600 which I hope will be fitting for the demands.

Some of the guns that have caught my eye are the

Krytac series of guns.

The TM hk and SCAR series.

But the real question is, with £600, a mostly woodland play area and a desire to not have to tinker with the gun out of the box. What would you recommend and why.

• Supporters

Down range performance wise, I get similar results from my Krytac vs my TM NGRS guns. The TMs obviously cost a lot more but you get realistic looks, some recoil/blowback and the bolt lock on empty; is that worth the money to you? Your choice.

ASG have a carbine version of the Scorpion Evo on the way, but as we know it's not like barrel length makes anything much of a difference anyway.

Having had a brief play with a mate's TM SCAR-H, in woodland, I can happily say that out of the box, I cannot imagine anything out-ranging it.

Having had a brief play with my newly bought TM M4 MWS, I can happily say that out of the box, I cannot imagine anything more fun to fire and also have some pretty damn decent range too.

Horses for courses, but for me, TM is the way to go for out of the box consistency and performance. And they pretty much always have been.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm making my trip to get a new gun on March the 18th. 

Confusion still reigns as to what to get next. 

A third range of guns has been thrown into the mix to make things even worse. 

So now the toss up seems to be between

krytac lvoa or enhanced lmg (if one comes into stock)

tokyo Marui m4 variant

KWA/PTS RM4 erg. I'm looking at the magpul version 

confusion reigns as all 3 seem to have a good rep and have various pros/cons. 

Krytac-excellent range and reliability mosfet fitted- no blowback. 

Tm- excellent range and reliability. Difficult to find recoil mags,need for either proprietary batteries or adaption. MOSFET seems almost a must. 

Kwa-rm4. Excellent reliability,decent range. Lots of proprietary parts and mags that like the TM are harder to find. 

I seem to be going around and around in circles and my already receding hairline is in danger of vanishing :) 

• Supporters

Personally, of those options, I'd cross off the KWA.  They're really good guns but better suited to the US, in the UK you'll find much more support in terms of techie types, spare parts and community knowledge with the TM platform.  No 'need' for MOSFETs in the TMs at all, all of mine are bone stock and cycle at decent speeds just using a 7.4v lipo.

Between Krytac and TM.. do you really want the blowback/bolt lock?  Or would you prefer a bit of a simpler gun internally that cycles quicker?  Nobody else can answer that for you.

7 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

Personally, of those options, I'd cross off the KWA.  They're really good guns but better suited to the US, in the UK you'll find much more support in terms of techie types, spare parts and community knowledge with the TM platform.  No 'need' for MOSFETs in the TMs at all, all of mine are bone stock and cycle at decent speeds just using a 7.4v lipo.

Between Krytac and TM.. do you really want the blowback/bolt lock?  Or would you prefer a bit of a simpler gun internally that cycles quicker?  Nobody else can answer that for you.

To be honest I want to get a gun that I can take out of the box, slap one of my 9.6v 1600mah Nimh batteries into and know it will perform well. 

Kick is nice but not the be all and end all. 

Having something reliable, accurate and with good range is the biggest deal. Easy of spares and parts availability and compatibility are also major factors for me in the event of a problem. 

2 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

Krytac then.

Also get LiPo batteries because it's not 2008 right now.

You rate them that highly?

lol. It's just the 9.6v Nimh batteries were the recommended for use with my predator and it's what I have. 

Changing over to lipos would require new batteries and a new charger. So more of a dent in the budget. Though in truth that's drifting towards £600ish

GHK M4 with GHK G5 38rnd magazines.

Best gas efficiency out there, you can go through about 110 shots on one gas charge (various tests on YouTube of this too)! As well as being steel (VERY IMPORTANT), the internals mimic a real M4 (aside from the bits needed to fire BBs instead of bullets, of course) as do the externals and features (I.e not being able to put the gun in safe if the hammer hasn't been cocked back). The recoil is the best I've felt by a long shot!

GHK M4 MOD 1 or GHK M4 MOD 2 is definitely the way to go. TM MWS doesn't live up to it from my experience and TM recoils, PTWs, Systemas etc just don't interest me whatsoever. I'm biased to GBBRs so do take that into consideration (I find AEGs incredibly dull). Realism is also a major influence to me which is where it definitely wins over something like the MWS.

If you're not big on gas and real cap mags (30 - 38) then definitely get something like a TM recoil. The recoil won't be as good as a GBBR but you get the benefit of it being an AEG I suppose and not having to reload for a couple years!

The TM SCAR recoil shock would be a great choice.

After all that, this is entirely my own opinion. Sure you can go get a Krytac or similar but if I'm going to spend a bunch of money then I'm going to want something that I'm personally going to find very fun as well as incredibly reliable.

4 hours ago, ghostwalker said:

You rate them that highly?

lol. It's just the 9.6v Nimh batteries were the recommended for use with my predator and it's what I have. 

Changing over to lipos would require new batteries and a new charger. So more of a dent in the budget. Though in truth that's drifting towards £600ish

Yup, go LiPo. They are far far easier to look after and give better battery life and, well just do it. All I ever see on game days is people having battery issues, and none of them (except that time I forgot to put a battery in my gun) were LiPos, they were all NimH. They are perfectly safe if you don't mistreat them. Only drawback if needing to buy a new charger.

On the subject of lipos then.  Can any of you fine folks recommend a good brand of both battery and charger. Reading the various pages, it seems the krytac series and well suited to the 11.1 15c lipos. 

But lipos are a whole new world to me as I have been running Nimh or life batteries since I started airsoft 2 years ago. 

Not anymore mate. Did have life in my old l85. But sold them with the gun a year or so ago. 

Had to run the life packs as they were the only things that fitted in the dd rail.

would LiFe packs offer a comparable performance to a Lipo pack then?

Archived