Radio/Comms

Robert James
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Moderators

Can you get the accessories you want for them??

Surely would jus be the standard motoralra   attachments 

Shame no  one does  a legal set  with radio Ptt and a headset. Well not that I can see.  I really brought the baofeng 

Set of ebay but I don't  free comfortable doing it  now nothing it illegal....

On 20/06/2017 at 3:02 PM, AshOnSnow said:

I have a pair of Motorola TLKR T80 Extremes. The only downside is that they're bright yellow, so you need to put them in a pouch if you're going to conceal them. But they do the T80 Hunters as well which are dark green, but they're double the price and apart from the colour I really can't work out the difference!

Just ordered a pair of theese this morning  now as  there were like a tenner extra. I'm just gonna get some sniper tape to cover the yellow with.  With  get a ppt and proper   headset in couple of months time 

• 5 months later...

Hey. Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I didn't want to start another one, when I have basically the same question!

So, I've read through this, for the time being I am just looking at comms to sit on my vest as part of the "look", but if I'm spending money then it may as well be of some use later down the line.

To this end, would I be best off with the UV5R thingy mentioned above? I want it to sit in a pouch on my belt with a handheld speaker coming over my shoulder (yep, I run a LE loadout), I have found this in eBay and like the price. http://r.ebay.com/TT28i3

2 minutes ago, CARBr6 said:

Hey. Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I didn't want to start another one, when I have basically the same question!

So, I've read through this, for the time being I am just looking at comms to sit on my vest as part of the "look", but if I'm spending money then it may as well be of some use later down the line.

To this end, would I be best off with the UV5R thingy mentioned above? I want it to sit in a pouch on my belt with a handheld speaker coming over my shoulder (yep, I run a LE loadout), I have found this in eBay and like the price. http://r.ebay.com/TT28i3

Most people run uv5r  and yes you can get speaker mic for them 

58 minutes ago, CARBr6 said:

If purely for look then there is a risk with the UV5R that it’s a licenced  radio and to be legitimate there is a expense, otherwise you should either never switch it on or ask for someone to let you use their licenced frequency

PMR is freely available and though many don’t look very military some do

If you want a lookalike prop then a few replica dummy’s exist and are available from Hong Kong airsoft retailers etc 

• Moderators

Have a read of the radio topics.

The license costs £75 for 5 years, 15 frequencies of which 5 you dont need 

takes about 10 mins to set up online and get them emailed to you

you can’t use UV5R with PMR. I believe you can only listen or something 

It’s really down to what youll use it for and with who,  I have the license, 2 radios and a friend with one programmed in. 

sorry short answer but on train home from London and hard to type on phone!!! lol

4 minutes ago, djben9 said:

Have a read of the radio topics.

The license costs £75 for 5 years, 15 frequencies of which 5 you dont need 

takes about 10 mins to set up online and get them emailed to you

you can’t use UV5R with PMR. I believe you can only listen or something 

It’s really down to what youll use it for and with who,  I have the license, 2 radios and a friend with one programmed in. 

sorry short answer but on train home from London and hard to type on phone!!! lol

People do set some programmable radios to pmr frequencies, and depending on the specific radio / how they programme can only receive or can send or receive.   But to do so is an offence  (unless they fully modify to pmr specifications and power limits)

• Moderators

.....if he does and gets caught we are not to blame!! Lol :lol::lol::lol:

tbh the license is cheap over 5 years and means you can use them anywhere as well.... even Tesco with the kids :rolleyes:.... but if your in a game you can use someone’s license for the day and join the team , I’ve done that before 

all really down to what you like, accessories you want and when / want you will use them for etc 

but as mentioned, there are restrictions 

Thanks guys. I agree with djben9, £75 for 5 years is pretty good. So, I'll just leave it turned off for most games but then when I get to a point of needing/wanting to have working comms I can either borrow someone's paid for frequency or buy my own. I tend to airsoft with two friends so it may be that we split the cost between us which will work out much better.

With that in mind I have gone for the Baofeng UV-5R with handheld mic/speaker to go with my US Marshal impression.

On 31/01/2017 at 4:40 PM, Wris said:

No worries, if you do decide to go down the licensed route, its a Simple UK business radio license you should apply for!

I was just browsing around the ofcom site. Why does it need to be a business licence? An amateur licence is free!

21 minutes ago, CARBr6 said:

I was just browsing around the ofcom site. Why does it need to be a business licence? An amateur licence is free!

Are you looking at the free ‘amateur radio’ licence?

That is a full on radio system and you need to pass an exam then get your free licence 

PMR is Private Mobile Radio and is the unllicenced / free ‘personal’ walkie talkie system in the UK 

The business licence gives the ability to operate walkie talkies etc, at different frequencies and at a higher power then PMR

Aha. 

Quite possibly, I wasn’t properly looking just flicking around whilst on my way home

On 18/01/2018 at 3:05 PM, CARBr6 said:

Thanks guys. I agree with djben9, £75 for 5 years is pretty good. So, I'll just leave it turned off for most games but then when I get to a point of needing/wanting to have working comms I can either borrow someone's paid for frequency or buy my own. I tend to airsoft with two friends so it may be that we split the cost between us which will work out much better.

With that in mind I have gone for the Baofeng UV-5R with handheld mic/speaker to go with my US Marshal impression.

Any milsim event I've been to ive been give the frequencies to use.

I know I lot if people who run without liensces. 

I think there has been every few if aby convictions with radio as it very hard to prove what you were doing. Not saying what you should or shouldn't do. I'm sure your old enough to make your own. Decisions. 

I got my liensce  for peace (about 6 months ago) of mind but I no longer play games that I no longer need a radio for seem like a wasted 75 quid now

• Moderators

I don’t always use my radios for games, handy at other times as well..... :lol:

Conviction or no convictions, like other areas of Airsoft it’s best to follow the law to avoid the spotlight shone on us more!!! :)

only 4 years left!

Archived