Radio/Comms

Robert James
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Baofeng make multiple models with them. I'm not going to link you too them as they seriously make way to many to link.best place to search is eBay

I use Boafeng UV-5R's. in short they're perfect for airsoft use, can even order a double pack like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-BAOFENG-UV-5R-Black-Dual-Band-136-174-400-520MHz-Radio-UV-5R-Earpiece-UK-/172055945873?hash=item280f556291:g:2HYAAOSwNRdYB0BV

The only problem with them is they are much too powerful to use on the public PMR 446 channels (the free to use ones) the easy way around this is to buy a simple radio license, think it cost me £50 for 5 years - that gets you your very own set of frequencies to mess around with and shout over to your hearts content, without overpowering the free channels and ruining everyone else's time!

You can apply for a license here:

https://secure.ofcom.org.uk/busrad/

I use Boafeng UV-5R's. in short they're perfect for airsoft use, can even order a double pack like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-BAOFENG-UV-5R-Black-Dual-Band-136-174-400-520MHz-Radio-UV-5R-Earpiece-UK-/172055945873?hash=item280f556291:g:2HYAAOSwNRdYB0BV

The only problem with them is they are much too powerful to use on the public PMR 446 channels (the free to use ones) the easy way around this is to buy a simple radio license, think it cost me £50 for 5 years - that gets you your very own set of frequencies to mess around with and shout over to your hearts content, without overpowering the free channels and ruining everyone else's time!

You can apply for a license here:

https://secure.ofcom.org.uk/busrad/

Thanks, I actually looked at these earlier and got a bit confused with license etc. But it seems quite clear to be fair.

Thanks Wris

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Did you get any further with this?

I got the license for my Bao's earlier in the yeat, cost £75 for 5 years and 15 to use, although 5 you wont

took about 10/15mins to do online and email was sent straight through after with the channel list to use

We use Motorola PMR446 Talkabouts and they are great, and all you really need for skirmishing IMHO. Most new ones on eBay sell in pairs and a few have PTTs and earpieces thrown in. Don't pay more than £50 for two.

I have a pair of Motorola TLKR T80 Extremes. The only downside is that they're bright yellow, so you need to put them in a pouch if you're going to conceal them. But they do the T80 Hunters as well which are dark green, but they're double the price and apart from the colour I really can't work out the difference!

On 6/20/2017 at 8:06 PM, proffrink said:

You mean the T81. They're identical but are green and have a better weather rating I think so are slightly more waterproof I suppose.

Yep the T81. Someone suggested that but I checked the specs between them and the weather testing was exactly the same IPX4. The only difference I found is that the T81 Hunters came with a 12V car charger, but that's it. Other than the colour and the inclusion of a car charger, they appear to be perfectly identical. I don't quite get it...

The next one up weatherproof-wise is the T92 which is IP67 - dustproof, waterproof up to 1m for 30 minutes.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to open up an old thread but I'm after a radio aswell.  I what one that can pair to any radio in range  as I'm starting to  look into milsim games. 

With any of the channel based radios do this,  

I don't really want to have to go though the aggro  and cost of having to apply for  linecse to get frequency  based one (even thought i  would prefer one as   h

Gives me   more connection  options)  or is it just uhf radios  for have to have the license for. 

I ideally want  a rechargeable  unit  ptt  and a subtle headset for about 60 quid 

Is it possible as I have to  get  quite few item before I sign up for my 1st milsim.

• Moderators

It takes less than 5mins to get a license if you choose that route, fill in on line and the system will email you your frequencies.... it's that simple 

not sure about accessories with PMR radios tbh as I only look at baofeng parts :)

there are other topics posted that mag help you a bit, even a guide by brightcandle :)

• Moderators

Thought it was £75 now, well the uk simple one was earlier in the year 

I used PMR - set of Motorola T80 Extremes.

Or you can license your own channel.

29 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

I used PMR - set of Motorola T80 Extremes.

Or you can license your own channel.

Do you find you every have an issue  connecting to other  radios from different brands and therefore   having a radio pointless that is my only concern going that way rather then frequency type.

Edit 

Done bit if research look like all 

Pmr radios opter

rate on the same  8 channel is that correct ? 

1 hour ago, Shaun Haynes said:

Do you find you every have an issue  connecting to other  radios from different brands and therefore   having a radio pointless that is my only concern going that way rather then frequency type.

Edit 

Pmr radios opter

They do. But within those 8 channels they are set to filter only those broadcasting the same identity code (put simply). Have a Google for CTCS. So you will clash with other PMR frequency users, but you won't necessarily hear them. But you also won't be able to transmit whilst they are and vice versa. That said if you use a radio without CTCS set you hear everyone on the channel ;) or press the monitor button if you have one.

You usually buy radios in a pair and with the same CTCS setting. If you want to add a third or forth they'd need the same CTCS or you can't talk to them. So it's usual for a group to buy the same make and model of radio to make that easier.

However, buying a programmable radio like the Baofeng UV5R whilst not legal makes it easy to set your CTCS yourself so you can match your mates no matter what radio they have.

Edit: Some PMR radios call the CTCS sub-channels and as long as you have the same ones on a motorola as on another PMR radio you should be able to match them up.

• Moderators

But you can't use a baofeng with PMR, only for listening I believe and not transmitting 

its safer to buy a license and share the cost with your mates etc instead of risking the chance of getting caught etc..... see other discussions on the forum;):) 

recent game we had to change frequency 3 times as picking up various non game people!!!!:lol::lol:

4 hours ago, Shaun Haynes said:

Edit 

Pmr radios opter

Never had an issue connecting to other brands. The only thing I've found is that some other brands don't have the privacy channels - on my motorolas, yes they use the 8 channel system, but there are 121 subchannels. So you could set your team channel to, say Channel 6 - Subcode 48. And anyone on Channel 6 generally wouldn't hear you - they'd have to know to specifically tune in to 6-48. Some other brands also have the same system, so are cross compatible. In that sense, you essentially have 968 separate channels to choose from.

Archived