AEG - Alternative firing mechanism than gears and springs?

AstonAirsoft
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I've been playing with some ideas for a project gun, and I was wondering if there are other types of AEG that don't use a standard motor with gears to drive the piston back and a spring to power it forward?

I know there is gas powered, HPA conversions and the like but I am curious if there have been attempts at other mechanisms?

I started thinking about this when I looked into pre-cocking for a standard AEG, but this relies on the gears and the anti-reversal latch to keep the spring under compression until you are ready to fire. This obviously means somethings will eventually break, so i started thinking are there other ways to fire a BB using an electric source of power?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Aston

I jest, but in theory you could possibly use an electromagnet or solendoid to fire a piston, with enough money thrown at it and power it could work.

Thing is springs and compressing gas are really good ways of storing energy over a period of time then releasing it very quickly with low losses. The laws of physics and thermodynamics are on your side. I can't think of any other mechanisms where you aren't fighting them instead. The rail gun would need a capacitive discharge system operating at a few hundred volts, and things have moved on in the last few years, but you're still gonna be hard pressed to fit that in a crane stock...

• Supporters

The GBLS M4 works on an open-bolt style system as far as the actual piston and spring are concerned (that ride inside the mock bolt carrier, which itself works on closed bolt); it still uses a motor and gears pretty similarly to a normal AEG, but it's the closest thing I know of to what you're describing.

you've just reminded me of BO Dynamics new MTO system- thats gone very quiet!

Claim ridiculous things - No proof - Never shows up. Funny that right? I've always maintained it was vaporware and so far there's zero evidence to the contrary. Be amazing to be proved wrong, but imho it was a stunt to gain social media attention/followers.

Archived