Options for Glasses Wearers

PopRocket123
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Root Admin

I mean I've only said that 3 times in this thread :D

your opticians of choice, get your prescription*
or

• Phone/email and ask them to print and post you a past one
  • Measure your pupillary distance with the help of someone (some opticians will even do it for you if you ask)
  • Fill out a form online and send in your inserts to be glazed*

The only difference could be the pupillary distance, as many high street opticians won't disclose that (even though it's recorded) because they know it can be used online to have a prescription filled out by a third party. They will give it if asked, however.

To the both of you: How much did your glazing cost and how long did it take? High street opticians are notorious for inflating their reglazing prices to make the cost of new frames look more appealing (which is where the real money is for them). Withholding pupillary distance if you don't explicitly ask for it (even though it's recorded during your eye test) is a big indicator that they want to keep your business in house and acknowledge that it's probably cheaper elsewhere.

Online glazers will accept an old pair of glasses and take the pupillary distance from them for a small fee, or you can measure it yourself (in a pinch).

• Supporters

I mean I've only said that 3 times in this thread :D

Online glazers will accept an old pair of glasses and take the pupillary distance from them for a small fee, or you can measure it yourself (in a pinch).

Ah, fair play. I have to admit to skimming most of it. I am Captain TLDR.

Thanks guys I didn't even realise you could get the inserts. I like the look of the Bolle Raiders. How would you get them sorted? Buy the goggles and get the inserts fitted after or are there places that do the whole package?

• Root Admin
  • Buy goggles/shooting glasses
  • Buy inserts (the Bolle Raider sets I've seen come with them)
  • Take the inserts and send them to any number of glazers to be fitted with your included prescription (this is what we've discussed at length previously in the thread)
  • Get the inserts back and fit them into your goggles

The inserts themselves are made to be removable by the user. The prescription lenses that are fitted into the inserts by a professional optical glazing company or opticians are not. You can freely add or remove the inserts as you see fit and this typically takes a few seconds to a couple of minutes (depending on the brand).

bolle-rx-adapter.jpg

The one thing you want to consider is the eyepro itself - the inserts matter little from brand to brand and from product to product (they're basically all identical in functionality, though some are just a little easier to remove than others). If you're new to this then you need to figure out if you want mesh or polycarbonate; shooting glasses or full seal goggles (or hybrid sealed glasses like the Raiders are) as these factors will contribute far more towards how comfortable, safe and fog-free they are for you.

My opinion is to avoid the hybrid types like the Raiders as they tend to have poor ventilation and are prone to fogging. If you play outdoors a lot then shooting glasses are generally fine and get the best ventilation, whereas goggles offer the best possible protection (at the cost of some ventilation). Again, brand and product matters here, and there are plenty of reviews out on eyepro that fall into all those categories so you'll want to do some hunting.

As stated before: All the name brands and decent product lines have inserts available for holding a prescription. If they don't then the chances are that it's not a brand worth considering.

it does seem that tactical opticians has stopped trading.. his fb has gone and my previous messages have all changed.

the other option which ive just had but for other reasons is laser eye surgery and get rid of the glasses.. not a cheap option tho

http://www.screwfix.com/p/uvex-ultrasonic-sports-style-safety-goggles/36877

Got these the other day, they fit over my specs are super comfy. all the usual anti fog and anti scratch. Used them for some chainsawing in the cold and they were great. didnt fog at all and it was -1 out. They are super clear and really lightweight too.

• Supporters

it does seem that tactical opticians has stopped trading.. his fb has gone and my previous messages have all changed.

the other option which ive just had but for other reasons is laser eye surgery and get rid of the glasses.. not a cheap option tho

He hasn't stopped trading permanently, he's just dealing with some health issues and has closed his page temporarily as a result.

Bolle Rush Plus Glasses + Accessory Kit (lanyard and lens insert) (£15 total)

Lenses from cilaryblue.co.uk (£15)

No idea if they'll be any good but cheap enough that I've got to try.

They look like they could work. I want to get into milsims so they'd be perfect

Archived