Alan keys

Oli.Hanks
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys I got a new rifle and I'm trying to check the internals but the pins Alan key wholes are worn down to circles if you get what I mean any ideas?

dab of superglue on the correct size allen key ten put it in the slot. or cut a slot into the screw and use a screwdriver. BTW, what new gun comes with worn to circle allen screws or was it second hand?

second hand haha i want to check the internals because the outside is an absoloute state but i was told the internals would be super crazy good if its not there will be a nice paypal claim haha but thanks for the ideas ill give it ago.

If the super glue trick doesn't work then you can try using a Torx bit that is slightly larger than the hole left by the previous butcher. If you use decent ones it'll be harder than the cheese that cheap bolts are made of and cut itself some splines as you tap it in. Then go and get friendly with the local bolt place!

Decent hex keys aren't that much money and will last you forever. The Halfords Professional stuff is good and OK priced for what it is, or check for brands online. Likewise decent bolts will save you a lot of grief in the long run!

If you aren't going to be buying new Allen heads any time soon and want a short term solution as mentioned above super glue to remove and then once out a junior hack saw along the top and turn it into a custom screw

• Root Admin

Whilst typically I'd agree, I've found the cheese that is used in many airsoft machine screws to be so poor that screw extractors just chew them up more than cutting a slot in it and using a flathead (then ditching it and buying a new one). Depends on whether it has a visible head or not though I guess.

I'm a big fan of Easyouts (screw extractors) but in screws that are soft enough to chew out with an Allen key you just can't get a purchase without drilling the hole a bit deeper. The Torx bit trick generally works whether they're cap heads, countersunk, whatever.

• Supporters

I'm a big fan of Easyouts (screw extractors) but in screws that are soft enough to chew out with an Allen key you just can't get a purchase without drilling the hole a bit deeper. The Torx bit trick generally works whether they're cap heads, countersunk, whatever.

Easyouts are simple to use and what I would always recommend rather than bodging it but what do I know it's not like I do this sort of thing for a living.

Yep, but the idea of someone without the experience to get it right the first time going at a stuck bolt with a drill and a screw extractor scares me...

Archived