Parents buying RIFs for under 18's who play regularly.

Jam_Man
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well the only way this thread will ever end is to throw the shop and parents under the bus and let the law courts decide by reporting it. At least there will be a court case on the books to inform us to the current legal interpretation of the law.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the only way this thread will ever end is to throw the shop and parents under the bus and let the law courts decide by reporting it. At least there will be a court case on the books to inform us to the current legal interpretation of the law.

The shop contravened VCRA s.36 (1) (c ) - though it's entirely possible they thought they had a defence, on the basis of my previous post, they don't.

If the purchaser retained legal title to the RIF, that's when it should go to court. The OP of this thread has not said that:

Had a discussion on facebook with a 17 year old who was saying his local shop have sold him RIF's "legally" by selling them to his parents who gift them to him. As he plays regularly at their site and know him they consider that to be a legal defence.

His parents do not play Airsoft.

This store have got it wrong haven't they, or are they ok?!

I can see the logic in their thinking, they aren't selling to an under 18 and they know its going to be used for Airsoft, however I don't think the rules work like that do they?

If I ran an airsoft store, I'd have "gift cards" for certain guns that parents could buy, and those with valid VCRA defences could come and "cash in", so to speak.

Legally that wouldn't work because the offence doesn't say "sells for money". Nice try though.

Legally that wouldn't work because the offence doesn't say "sells for money". Nice try though.

How do you mean "sells for money"?

• 4 weeks later...

HI, I'm 15 years old and im rather new, i have played 2 games in the last 2 months which is required for a site membership which as of a week from now i will have. I have bought all the gear i want/need but left the guns for last. Now im all for realism and authenticity and i feel a two tone gun would ruin my immersion. i am looking at buying the ASG Cz805 at £349.99 and the TM 1911 MEU at £124.99. Yes this is a lot of money for my first gun I'll be owning but i am familiar with the sport now and have the money too so i would like the best in my price range. I am just wondering if it is illegal for my dad to buy me the guns without a two tone service applied and it be legal, Also i am looking to order it online which could also be a hindrance. So could somebody help me out please?     

1 hour ago, Baxticus said:

HI, I'm 15 years old and im rather new, i have played 2 games in the last 2 months which is required for a site membership which as of a week from now i will have. I have bought all the gear i want/need but left the guns for last. Now im all for realism and authenticity and i feel a two tone gun would ruin my immersion. i am looking at buying the ASG Cz805 at £349.99 and the TM 1911 MEU at £124.99. Yes this is a lot of money for my first gun I'll be owning but i am familiar with the sport now and have the money too so i would like the best in my price range. I am just wondering if it is illegal for my dad to buy me the guns without a two tone service applied and it be legal, Also i am looking to order it online which could also be a hindrance. So could somebody help me out please?     

unless your dad holds a UKARA Membership or another form of defence then he wouldn't be able to purchase the weapon either.

2 hours ago, Baxticus said:

Ah thanks mate no worries, How will my dad get a viable defense and UKARA

He would have to become a regular player and play no less than 3 games in a minimum of 2 full months, just like everyone else does who wisjhes to be UKARA registered.

6 minutes ago, PT247 said:

He would have to become a regular player and play no less than 3 games in a minimum of 2 full months, just like everyone else does who wisjhes to be UKARA registered.

Oh that makes sense then, as i said before i don't want to be ruining a new rifle with a two tone color scheme. But as i am new i dont want people at my local site confronting me about having an RIF at 15 years old and being new to the sport  

They wouldn't, it is none of their business and there is nothing wrong with you having a RIF at any age. The issue is buying one, which you'll not be allowed to and unless your old man gets a defence he will not be allowed to either.

He also wouldn't be able to buy you a gun using your own money as that would be a proxy sale, although if he gained ukara number he could buy one himself and gift it to you.

Archived