Would you eotech

TinySeal
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Would you put a genuine eotech sight on an airsoft ? Or for that matter any real world genuine parts for real steal weapons on airsoft if you had the money ?

If I had more money than I could spend yeah sure, id even have spares and spares of spairs but I personally think its crazy the amount of money you spend for the gear for the slight benefits you get such as holding zero better etc etc.

For most optics - especially MSE, EOTech etc, ABSOLUTELY NOT. Far too much risk. In the military, if someone's sight gets shot out or damaged, they're not being personally docked of hundreds of pounds of their pay for a replacement. Unless I could find some good insurance policies, I wouldn't go out with £1000 of optics on my gun, only to get shot out by some bloke with a hot VSR shooting 700+ and getting past chronos by using heavy BBs.

In terms of other things that are less breakable like tritium sights for pistols, MagPul mag grips, foregrips etc, then I'm pretty sure most of us have one or two actual "real steel" parts.

If I had more money than I could spend yeah sure, id even have spares and spares of spairs but I personally think its crazy the amount of money you spend for the gear for the slight benefits you get such as holding zero better etc etc.

Yeah your right there it would only look aesthetically better not adding any true advantage to the performance of the airsoft in question , but god would it look the dogs knackers ahaha

Had a Bushnell holosight...put a perspex lens cover over the fragile bits, and loved it. Very nice bit of kit.

• Supporters

I have one, I've used it in every game I've played in but one. I use those mesh screen covers that are made for them. My first protector took about 6 hits before I replaced it, and my latest hasnt taken any yet.

• Supporters

I have used both a cheapo no name clone £35 EoTech 552 and one made by G&P which is arguably the second best clone EoTech 552 at about £100, i've heard it sits just below the one made Hurricane which i have heard are the best clones out there but they cost something like £120 but i have never used them.

Problem i noted with both the cheapo clone and the G&P one

• Is that they are both NOT holosights but Red Dot Sights dressed up to look like holosights
  • Because they are RDSs they need a mirrored front which darkens the sight slightly
  • They could never hold zero even on an AEG let alone a GBBR
  • When you turned the zeroing screws for say up it would go up but at a slight angle say up and right
  • They both suffered distortion though admittedly the G&P less than the cheapo one
  • In the rain both suffered with fogging which took forever to clear

In the end i bought a Real Steel EoTech 552 and immediately noticed

• It is a holosight
  • No Mirrored front so lens are clear through and through
  • It CAN hold zero absolute, set it once and never need to set it again unless you move it to a different gun
  • When zeroing say up and down, turning the screws moves the sight UP and DOWN only
  • What i aim at (if in range) i will hit
  • Does not suffer distortion even at some extreme angles
  • Does NOT fog as the holo chamber is hermatically sealed and filled with nitrogen
  • My guns are more likely to break down before the sight does, its built like a brick outhouse

And yes whilst it can be shot out i put in place a Guns Modify lens protector made for EoTechs so that one stray shot wouldn't damage the sight, i think it would take a 700FPS and not break but why risk it when a lens protector is just a tenner:

http://airsoftzone.co.uk/pc-eotech-lens-protector-guns-modify?filter_name=lens%20protector

I only paid £250 for my EoTech as it was second hand but came with the hard-case, accessories and manual and I know a site seller who is selling Real Steel EoTechs for £250, and before you cry who do you know its real? EoTech published a document showing what signs to look out for when purchasing EoTechs to tell if they are real or fake and whilst some of these can be replicated, the majority can't.

https://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/193/EOtech-552-Holographic-Weapon-Sights.html

http://www.eotechinc.com/sites/default/files/client/recognizing-counterfeit-sights_0.pdf

In the end i'd say buy cheap, buy twice

Heres a pic of me using my G&G MP5A5 at a skirmish with a real steel EoTech 552 attached, you can see the lens protector has been attached and fits seamlessly.

gxTYXvj.jpg?1

Another pic or me using the RS EoTech 552 on my G&P MOTS M4 (Now converted to a Salient M4 without that horrible Jailbreaker front end), its permanently attached to this rifle now and i'm in the process of getting another EoTech 552 for my MP5.

kjxIGqK.jpg?2

• Supporters

I don't protect the back, tbh it's so recessed in at the back I would need probably the unluckiest shot to hit it.

Saying that I have never had someone shoot the front element of my eotech yet and I have been running this one for over a year but I have had some mates own fake ones for one game and have them shot out.

• Supporters

In a word no.

I am quite happy to spend plenty of cash making my toy perform well but for airsoft a RS sight is not really any better than a decent clone. I use a clone aimpoint cost me a bit over a £100 I think and its absolutely fine.

There is also the fact that its edging into geardo territory because the first thing most people who own one do is point out to everyone they can that they have bought a real steel eotech/aimpoint like it makes them special.

At airsoft ranges its just unnecessary and I believe in spending my cash on the things that make my game better and those sights don't.

• Root Admin

I also think the issue with the EoTech in particular is how hard it is to protect the lens without a protector that's going to eventually break (or yellow, in many cases) or a killflash that obscures your view slightly. Neither are optimal.

I'd consider doing it with a nice red dot, but there are a lot of decent, real steel red dots available for £100-200.

I should also add the caveat that I only give this any mind because decent optics retain their resell value (usually around 80%, actually) so I'd have no problem with owning one knowing I can get rid of it if it's kept in decent condition.

• Supporters

Absolutely, they work better than airsoft clones.

Yeah but what you gain is unnecessary for airsoft. They were designed for military and law enforcement and real guns that shoot bullets. We are shooting little plastic balls that are not exactly accurate at any real range.

Some red dots are garbage but you can get clone ones that work fine and you can get holosuns for a lot less than eotechs and other well known holographic or red dot sights and they are way more capable than what any airsofter needs.

People don't buy eotechs in airsoft because they need them they buy them because they want to tell everyone and feel special. Its the airsoft equivalent of a penis compensator tool.

I am not saying that people shouldn't buy them because it's their money but lets not kid ourselves what they really are about.

I don't protect the back, tbh it's so recessed in at the back I would need probably the unluckiest shot to hit it.

Saying that I have never had someone shoot the front element of my eotech yet and I have been running this one for over a year but I have had some mates own fake ones for one game and have them shot out.

So far the only optics i've lost were, admittedly due to my error, from friendly fire behind me.

• Supporters

So far the only optics i've lost were, admittedly due to my error, from friendly fire behind me.

Thats some pretty bad luck mate!

Like i said each to their own i only got a real steel one because i saw it going for £250 with all the bits and bobs and so knew it was a steal of a sale.

Plus i used to do real steel shooting but gave that up as it was getting too expensive for a hobby shooting at paper targets.

Think I'll by a genuine eotech then ;) , I like training with real kit for the health benefits and general strengthening of myself , that's why I got the nexus monolith plates for my warrior dcs plate carrier , just adds that extra bit of realism as well .

• Supporters

Think I'll by a genuine eotech then ;) , I like training with real kit for the health benefits and general strengthening of myself , that's why I got the nexus monolith plates for my warrior dcs plate carrier , just adds that extra bit of realism as well .

While I will say each to there own on the EoTech I won't in a million years ever agree with any airsofter wearing hard armour. Biggest issue in airsoft is people not taking hits and thats not because of cheating it's because of people wearing too much kit. Anything more than gloves,kneepads and face and head protection should be banned.

I am so sick of shooting people and them not calling it because they have an inch of padding.

Plates in airsoft is a bloody joke.

While I will say each to there own on the EoTech I won't in a million years ever agree with any airsofter wearing hard armour. Biggest issue in airsoft is people not taking hits and thats not because of cheating it's because of people wearing too much kit. Any thing more than gloves,kneepads and face and head protection should be banned.

I am so sick of shooting people and them not calling it because they have an inch of padding.

Plates in airsoft is a bloody joke.

That's why I only used them once , and as for people not calling to a hit that's half the time they don't want to admit a hit , I wear minimal kit ! I wear a ubacs shirt a warrior dcs, 4 m4 mag pouches and 3 pistol plus a camelback I wouldn't say that's an over load on kit , I've seen worse than that .

That's why I only used them once , and as for people not calling to a hit that's half the time they don't want to admit a hit , I wear minimal kit ! I wear a ubacs shirt a warrior dcs, 4 m4 mag pouches and 3 pistol plus a camelback I wouldn't say that's an over load on kit , I've seen worse than that .

There are not that many wilful cheaters out there dood!

• Supporters

Yeah but what you gain is unnecessary for airsoft. They were designed for military and law enforcement and real guns that shoot bullets. We are shooting little plastic balls that are not exactly accurate at any real range.

Some red dots are garbage but you can get clone ones that work fine and you can get holosuns for a lot less than eotechs and other well known holographic or red dot sights and they are way more capable than what any airsofter needs.

People don't buy eotechs in airsoft because they need them they buy them because they want to tell everyone and feel special. Its the airsoft equivalent of a penis compensator tool.

I am not saying that people shouldn't buy them because it's their money but lets not kid ourselves what they really are about.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Clones don't work at all when using night vision, holosun does... sort of. EOTech just works.

It's not about bragging rights and whose knob is the biggest ! When I'm pationate about something I go 110% you could say I have OCD , my attention to detail goes beyond , up until 6 months ago I didn't really have 2p to rub together , I've been working since I was 14 and I mean hard bone breaking work , I just wanted to see if people would use real optics if they could , I'm not that kind of person to walk on site and start pointing to gear saying genuine / look at me / I'm great ! It's for me only ! Hell If someone asked me for the shirt off my back I would gladly give it to them if it benefited them .

It's not about bragging rights and whose knob is the biggest ! When I'm pationate about something I go 110% you could say I have OCD , my attention to detail goes beyond , up until 6 months ago I didn't really have 2p to rub together , I've been working since I was 14 and I mean hard bone breaking work , I just wanted to see if people would use real optics if they could , I'm not that kind of person to walk on site and start pointing to gear saying genuine / look at me / I'm great ! It's for me only ! Hell If someone asked me for the shirt off my back I would gladly give it to them if it benefited them .

If its only for you then does it matter if it's real or a clone? As said previously there is no gain in airsoft just the potential of getting a expensive bit of kit broken.

Archived