Flat dark earth.

Samuelol
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Evening guys, hope you all had a very merry christmas, including lots of new plastic spewing goodies.

I'm thinking of spraying a few things up and after many google searches, I'm still not comfortable which Krylon to go for.

I'm looking for as close a match to the usual FDE as possible. What seems closest just from looking at the caps is camo khaki?

If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear it.

Cheers and have a happy new year!

Krylon was a temporary solution. Yes, militaries around the world use it, but as a temporary cover.

If you want the chipped and worn battle hardened look then go for it, if you want something a little more permanent then use Halfords own primers, camo paints and lacquers.

Krylon was a temporary solution. Yes, militaries around the world use it, but as a temporary cover.

If you want the chipped and worn battle hardened look then go for it, if you want something a little more permanent then use Halfords own primers, camo paints and lacquers.

Thanks buddy I really appreciate the info :)

I'm actually quite happy with a more battle-worn look so may still go for the Krylon.

The only question now is colour matching! If anyone has any experience of Krylon cam Khaki I'd love to hear it.

Cheers!

Can't tell you about the colour match, but if you go with Krylon shake the can until you think your arm is going to come off...then shake it a load more! If it's not fully mixed then it has a nasty habit of not curing properly, and stays sticky and horrible. Even well mixed it takes ages to go properly hard and tough.

Evening guys, hope you all had a very merry christmas, including lots of new plastic spewing goodies.

I'm thinking of spraying a few things up and after many google searches, I'm still not comfortable which Krylon to go for.

I'm looking for as close a match to the usual FDE as possible. What seems closest just from looking at the caps is camo khaki?

Flat Dark Earth is a color designed by Magpul. The reason people struggle to recreate is because it actually changes.

When I was looking at spraying my gun with FDE, I found it best to go through reams and reams of images, and find the average HSB points for the colours, then choose a shade that I liked best within a small margin of that. I ended up going with H32 S16 B68, which looks like this:

fde_colour.jpg

Since Krylon don't offer this color, it's a choice between having it made up, or choosing something similar. You can have it made up custom for you.

Hex code #ada092

• Supporters

Hex code #ada092

In case people aren't aware, monitors and display screens don't reproduce colours very good. On my monitor this colour is greenish gray. If your monitor isn't calibrated (and it isn't except if you are an illustrator or something and you calibrated it) don't check colours on it.

In case people aren't aware, monitors and display screens don't reproduce colours very good. On my monitor this colour is greenish gray. If your monitor isn't calibrated (and it isn't except if you are an illustrator or something and you calibrated it) don't check colours on it.

I think you need to do at least do at least a basic calibration if that shows as green.

But it's beside the point - the colour I provided has nothing to do with my monitor display. The only time you'll start having differences is with the CMYK profiles, and that'll be down to the paint supplier making up your colours.

• Supporters

I think you need to do at least do at least a basic calibration if that shows as green.

Yeah, it's an old laptop. I broke the screen once and replaced it with a different one from ebay so I'm glad it's not pink. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I will be producing some FDE paint soon if that's of interest to you.

I went for the halfords camo range in the end. Very pleased with the color and the application was a breeze. Perfect coats!

Do recommend a protective coat over the top though.

Thanks for all of your input guys.

Archived