Any good boot brands for airsoft?

ElAshtonio
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, I got myself a pair of standard issue British army boots the other month from my local surplus store but found that they're a bit uncomfortable (not to mention, pretty expensive). Can anyone recommend any brands? I'd like to get a pair of boots that are pretty soft around the shins and are also pretty lightweight

Cheers :)

• Supporters

I get on really well with German Para boots but it's going to largely depend on your foot shape as to what's comfortable for you. They can be picked up surplus with very minor wear which is a plus. The ones I use look like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-original-German-army-Para-paratrooper-combat-assault-boots-/201737344160

As there seems to be a few variants, no idea if the other versions are better or worse. Salamon(as above) and Lowa boots always come recommended but I have no experience with either and they tend to start around the £120 mark.

There's two routes you can go. Either 'operator' with a good choice of tactical stuff from online suppliers or your local surplus place or get down to a proper outdoor shop and get help choosing a decent walking boot. If you want all day comfort, dry feet, really good grip and something you can wear off the airsoft field then I prefer the walking boots. Good boots start at £100, but the pair I've just replaced cost £150 fifteen years ago, have done thousands of miles and never let me down.

And don't forget decent socks!

Merrell with Goretex plus Merino socks equals lovely stuff.

Or a comfy pair of supportive outdoor footwear with SealSkinz socks to keep water out.

In my experience, keep feet dry for maximum fun whilst playing.

I got my boots from ShoeZone of all places - they're actually great, quite comfy (but you want nice socks because they're not very warm). They have good ankle support, and with the gel insoles, they absorb a lot of impact, have reinforced toecaps, and I find them really comfortable to run around in. Also they seem very good on the water-resistance front too - i've gone splashing through puddles and I also use them when I'm walking the dog through the muddy fields this time of year, and I've never come home with soggy tootsies :)

http://www.shoezone.com/Products/EarthWorks-Mens-Black-Lace-Up-Ankle-Safety-Boot-58821

For £30 you couldn't do much better.

• Supporters

There is no one 'standard issue' boot anymore, there's about 12 different options of brown boot (unless the OP means the old black ones? They were mediocre to say the least). Some of them are terrible, some are actually pretty good now and they cover a large number of different brands.

If I'm buying, personally I'll go LOWA for boots and Salomons for lighter, more trainer style (but only their 'Forces' line, the civvie ones have fallen apart on me shockingly fast). Tactical Research have also been very good in my experience. Avoid gore-tex if you want something for all seasons, but realistically you want at least 2 pairs, something light and thin, non-waterproof with plenty of mesh for the summer, then a thicker all leather or gore-tex option for winter. If you've only the budget for one then obviously go middle weight, mostly leather, but you'll never get super breathability for the hotter months and 100% waterproofing/insulation all in the same package,

A decent pair of walking/hiking boots. I stayed away from 'combat' boots' as they are uncomfortable for the most part. As long as they are:

>Comfortable

>Fit nicely

>Have ankle support

>Waterproof (to an extent)
>Grip well

then you're in good hands. You can pick up the above from about £40 from a surplus shop. Always ask for 'last seasons' stock in hiking shops, you'll be surprised how cheap they are, for essentially the same product.

I got these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0114OQARC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Played a full day of airsoft at the mall in them recently and they were fine. Comfortable and lightweight compared to proper boots ive had in the past

I also got those purely cause none of my shoes had ankle support when I started and im about as clumsy as possible, they definately do the protection job as ive gone over a few times and everything is still in one piece, but they rapidly become uncomfortable after / during a 6 hour game..

Not sure on the price but try Alt-Bergs. They're pretty comfortable and very water tight with the younger attached until the top of the boot. They have lasted me multiple Exercises and have seen ALOT of use and are yet to break or rip. Just keep them polished before and after rough use. I'll try to find a link.

(Edit) wow never mind, £150 - £180. Didn't realise, I got issued them so they were free but damn...

i use savage island boots from amazon and they amazing under £30 and hold up well and great made and choices of full leather and mix of leather and goretex

• Supporters

i use savage island boots from amazon and they amazing under £30 and hold up well and great made and choices of full leather and mix of leather and goretex

One thing I have noticed is all the posts like this one on about how much of a bargain some boots are and what the upper materials are made of but nobody seems to look at the other aspects of the footwear.

Ankle support is a big one, lots of boots are padded round the ankles but that doesn't necessarily mean that the way they support is correct.

Soles is a huge factor. They way a sole flexs across terrain and also how it wont flex in the wrong ways is very important to prevent injury.

I point these factors out because I fractured my foot in several places in May playing and although it was a big fall I don't think I would have had quite as severe an injury in my Salomon boots as I had in the ones I was wearing. My ankle turned on impact which meant my foot didn't absorb it correctly and then when my foot bent up the sole tore across a flex point and allowed my foot to bend up more which all resulted in several fractures. While I would probably have still got some injury I doubt with better footwear it would have been lessened. I was wearing 5.11 boots.

The big outdoor and military manufacturers spend a lot of money on design to improve stability of the shoe to limit its potential for failure, cheap manufacturers don't so they will never even come close.

I am not one to say people should spend a lot on airsoft gear and see things like Crye and other expensive camo wear as frankly pointless for airsoft but boots I would always say buy the best you can afford even if that means saving for a while.

agreed as i have used many boots my current ones are the savage island and magnums i prefer the savage as strong base of boots with rebar in soul and the back is strong and flexible upto a point all way upto ankle i find them better quality than magnums at more or less half the cost and the heel and ankle reinforcement is great as i suffer from weakened ankles for working in the security ad military roles

i use hi tec hiking/walking boots, very comfy , water proof and can easily be worn for long periods of time and nicely priced also dont look too out of place , deffo agree with the point about injury , im happy with these though, when i started to get back into airsoft {earlier this year} i used my cat work boots as they were the only suitable type of foot wear i had , was a huge mistake! after a few hours i had slight discomfort on the back of my heel , thought nothing of it really and carried on playing , by the end of the day i had a raw flap of skin on my heel which i could peel back, made the rest of the week on my foot a nightmare..

I have a pair of alt-bergs one of the best boots I've ever owned, feet don't get too hot they keep the moisture out and provide good ankle support I picked a pair up for £40

I have a pair of alt-bergs one of the best boots I've ever owned, feet don't get too hot they keep the moisture out and provide good ankle support I picked a pair up for £40

Where did you see them for £40? And which specific model?

Where did you see them for £40? And which specific model?

I got mine off eBay, alt-berg defenders not new but do the job perfectly well!

If your more a fair weather or indoor player i highly rate meindl desert foxes. Nice and lightweight, good ankle support and has the speed lacing. Absolutely love them. Also use them for going walking

Meindl are a good boot but they are kind of a thinish boot where as the Lowa are very sturdy , tbh they are both great boots .

Archived