quiet/silenced ?

Careless
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys , iv never come across anyone with a hpa engined gun so i have no idea what they sound like in real life but from what iv seen on the web it seems like theres potential for a real stealth/suppressed gun especially with no blow back, is this the case? cheers

Hi guys , iv never come across anyone with a hpa engined gun so i have no idea what they sound like in real life but from what iv seen on the web it seems like theres potential for a real stealth/suppressed gun especially with no blow back, is this the case? cheers

Yes, apparently the polarstar fusion engine in closed bolt mode doesn't expel any noise at the muzzle...

thats obscene! going to look further into this then, after buying a tm mk23, i want my primary to be as silent or close to as possible ... cheers

thats obscene! going to look further into this then, after buying a tm mk23, i want my primary to be as silent or close to as possible ... cheers

That's not suggesting it's silent mind you. Just the audible noise carried down the barrel.

• Supporters

How quiet a gun is can be quite subjective, but since i'm testing my Polarstar M4 i thought i would give you an insight.

So you get an idea:-

The gun:

G&P M4 Carbine http://i.imgur.com/ajd2bNH.jpg

Uses a Polarstar Fusion Engine for Ver 2 Gearboxes, its the Gen 3 one, i have installed a Lightning Banjo, Red Low Flow Poppet, Red Nozzle and PIGL (Line).

Regulator is a Redline SFR setup to output at 68PSI hooked up to a 68/4500PSI Carbon fibre tank.

The hop up chamber is the G&P stock chamber, using a G&G green hop up rubber and bucking and a 6.06mm wide, 300mm Miracle inner Barrel.

Stats wise using ASG Blaster .20g BBs firing at a low average of 334FPS, a high average of 340FPS and median average of 336FPS.

No suppressor attached and using a Samsung Galaxy S6 and an app called Smart Tools, it registered an average of about 72dB both loaded and unloaded.

No suppressor attached and using a Samsung Galaxy S6 and an app called Smart Tools, it registered an average of about 72dB both loaded and unloaded.

I'd take that reading with a pinch of salt, it won't even be within a country mile of being accurate. 75dB is about the level of noise made when a toilet flushes.

How quiet a gun is can be quite subjective, but since i'm testing my Polarstar M4 i thought i would give you an insight.

it registered an average of about 72dB both loaded and unloaded.

And where was the reading taken from? The muzzle, the receiver, or at least 50cm away?

• Supporters

I'd take that reading with a pinch of salt, it won't even be within a country mile of being accurate. 75dB is about the level of noise made when a toilet flushes.

I didn't state that it was supposed to be accurate, just so he could have an idea, bare in mind i did this on a whim as i was already in the process of testing my gun (new hop up and all) so didn't have to do it for him but did. My phone only registered 80dB right next to my blank firing 8mm Glock 17 pistol and i can tell you compared to the polarstar, your ears ring when that shoots.

In my view my Polarstar M4 when shooting, the sound level is about the same as a large claw hammer hitting a block of soft pine timber but again that's subjective.

My phone was sat about 15cm away from my Chronograph which is mounted in an ammo box.

Again this wasn't a scientific test, just to get an idea.

I didn't state that it was supposed to be accurate, just so he could have an idea, bare in mind i did this on a whim as i was already in the process of testing my gun (new hop up and all) so didn't have to do it for him but did. My phone only registered 80dB right next to my blank firing 8mm Glock 17 pistol and i can tell you compared to the polarstar, your ears ring when that shoots.

In my view my Polarstar M4 when shooting, the sound level is about the same as a large claw hammer hitting a block of soft pine timber but again that's subjective.

My phone was sat about 15cm away from my Chronograph which is mounted in an ammo box.

Again this wasn't a scientific test, just to get an idea.

You can soften the moving parts in the P*FE iirc as with an AEG.

isnt majority of the noise the air pop as it leaves the barrel though? a foam filled suppressor should take care of that .i know the Fusion engine needs to reload the BB's but surely that cant be that noisy? cheers ...

isnt majority of the noise the air pop as it leaves the barrel though? a foam filled suppressor should take care of that .i know the Fusion engine needs to reload the BB's but surely that cant be that noisy? cheers ...

This is why I said put the FEV in closed bolt, so that it chambers a new round after firing. Reducing overall noise from the nozzle when firing, it will still make the noise, just after the BB has left the barrel. Can't speak for the other two moving parts though.

• Supporters

put it in closed bolt, adjust the timing and air flow so that there is no 'spare air' coming out after the necessary amount for BB propulsion and then add a decent foam suppressor. Mine used to be quieter (user end) than the TM MK23. apparently the receiving end was -essentially- when on a site with more than 10 players running about, leaves rustling and distant pyro going off, silent. and even if it ISN'T that quiet, most people don't recognise the sound as an airsoft model being shot at them

thanks for the comments guys, i was considering making a DMR out of the mk23 but i think HPA long term would be the way to go, just need to find an excuse to splash the cash :)

Mine used to be quieter (user end) than the TM MK23. apparently the receiving end was -essentially- when on a site with more than 10 players running about, leaves rustling and distant pyro going off, silent. and even if it ISN'T that quiet, most people don't recognise the sound as an airsoft model being shot at them

which engine have you got ? thanks...

I have just invested in a wolverine inferno gen 1 v3, wolverine storm, amped custom airline and 2 48ci tanks and the gun is a Cyma RPK.

As for the noise it's more like a co2 air pistol.

cheers, have you tried it with a foam filled suppressor?

cheers, have you tried it with a foam filled suppressor?

Ok I tried the rpk with a 320mm silencer and it really does work in killing the muzzle crack so yes it's very effective but looks ridiculous on my rpk!!!

Archived