What's the big deal with keymod?

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It's Keymod here, Keymod there, Keymod everywhere. It seems as soon as you start seeing a gun that you might like, it's got another damn keymod rail. Which isn't really a rail at all. Just a rail for a rail.

So I ask this - really, what's the big deal?

it is lovely, it is clean..... not liking that is odd.

If you have an attachment that is keymod, it just slides on, if you don't your gun is streamlined.

What is not to like?

Mehhhh I can't stand it. It's as if there's half the gun missing.

Call me stuck in the past, but I much prefer a rugged quad picatinny over some weird sci fi toilet roll :P

I think the only thing worse than a keymod rail is that triangular vietnam-era m16 handguard.

Well, I suppose I shouldn't have too much trouble doing a swapsies on the forum with someone for a quad picatinny when I buy my next gun. Because I can't get shot of these damn keymods!

wont call you stuck in the past, just unenlightened. Give it a bit and you'll realise you don't need a million attachments and if you don't need a million attachments, you def don't need a rail in every angle along the whole length of ya gat.

The weight to me is the biggest factor as just general movement becomes easier. Hold a daniel defence rail at 12.5" and then hold a keymod rail at the same length and all of a sudden the gun becomes so much more balanced. Pieing a corner becomes easier, you're faster, gripping with a c clamp (not just for recoil control, that shit works in general) becomes easier. It is just a superior rail system to any continuous rail system.

Keymod for president of the world. Brought to you by a guy who still uses that daniel defence rail he was dissing 4 sentences ago because it look smexy and I'm used to it.

The weight to me is the biggest factor as just general movement becomes easier. Hold a daniel defence rail at 12.5" and then hold a keymod rail at the same length and all of a sudden the gun becomes so much more balanced. Pieing a corner becomes easier, you're faster, gripping with a c clamp (not just for recoil control, that sh*t works in general) becomes easier. It is just a superior rail system to any continuous rail system.

Keymod for president of the world. Brought to you by a guy who still uses that daniel defence rail he was dissing 4 sentences ago because it look smexy and I'm used to it.

Maybe it is just a matter of I'm used to it and I don't want to change.

I suppose I am a bit of a Mr Attachments - you won't see me without at least a vertical grip and optic, usually a weaponlight off the side and sometimes a laser too. The whole concept of keymod to me is like someone telling me that a beautiful 1910 Steinway piano sounds crap. Or that an R34 Skyline is useless.

I like running around on a skirmish, changing my mind about something and being able to just slap on an attachment out my pouch to make it better for that specific situation. I don't have time to go and have a sit down, cup of tea and fiddle around with fitting an extra rail onto some jumped up system.

It'll always look like sci fi toilet roll to me.

I have keymod on my CRB.

It has an optic, PEQ, foregrip etc.

The only adapter I had to get was a short piece for my foregrip because I couldnt find a keymodded foregrip I liked.

It is much easier to hold. All my RIS rail rifles have rail covers to soften the edges on unwanted rail sections.

A lot of attachments coming out are Keymod ready so no need for the 20mm picatinny rail. In fact if you like attachments then Keymod in some ways more versatile. You can get 7 sided Keymod rails like the ones I sell which mean you can fit an attachment at either of those 7 sides - should the mood take you :-)

• Head Moderator

All my RIS rail rifles have rail covers to soften the edges on unwanted rail sections.

I do not like the look of keymod, aesthetically I prefer RIS. I also have rubber rail covers on my RIS to smooth it out and reduce the sharper edges.

I do not like the look of keymod, aesthetically I prefer RIS. I also have rubber rail covers on my RIS to smooth it out and reduce the sharper edges.

I can certainly see perhaps the attraction of keymod if you don't use a foregrip or have decent gloves.

I was a bit dubious about it when I got a PTS/Mega GBBR with it, at first I struggled to get stuff onto it although it's slimmer and more comfortable than a quad rail right out of the box. But now I view it as a way of keeping the gun slim and comfy by having just the rail sections I want, where I want and no more.

Yes things can mount directly using the KeyMod itself but I only use it for fixed things like the forward grip, elsewhere I have covered it with rubber panels which add comfort wile keeping slim and gripable.

Overall, yes I guess I'm a fan, although rail v KeyMod wouldn't sway me either way in a potential gun purchase.

Any issues with key mod compatability ? We all know how much airsoft manufacturers like to make things in odd sizes meaning one item doesnt fit all lol.

I prefere the look of rails cause i don't want holes all over the front lol. Never really had any issues with gripping it but then my hand naturally falls to fore grip or even the mag well but my gloves keep it comfy if handle it

Never really had any issues with gripping it but then my hand naturally falls to fore grip or even the mag well but my gloves keep it comfy if handle it

Yep same. Sometimes I have a magwell grip and a vertical grip just to keep my options open.

Archived