Spring tension release info

AirsoftKent
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Just bought my first 'proper' AEG and was reading how it doesn't have a spring tension release. I imagine it's not a big deal but was wondering what meant by spring release (in the gearbox?) and if I should go to the effort of fitting an after-market spring tension release system?

• Supporters

Some AEGs have a way of releasing the tension on the main spring if the gearbox happens to stop with the piston back (spring compressed). Storing the gun with the spring under pressure can weaken the spring over time. You won't really be able to fit any sort of aftermarket release though as it's a function built into the gearbox itself that is triggered on M4/M16 type guns by pressing the forward assist.

Some AEGs have a way of releasing the tension on the main spring if the gearbox happens to stop with the piston back (spring compressed). Storing the gun with the spring under pressure can weaken the spring over time. You won't really be able to fit any sort of aftermarket release though as it's a function built into the gearbox itself that is triggered on M4/M16 type guns by pressing the forward assist.

Fair enough, also noticed people mentioning dry firing in semi-auto or half firing and various other weird things would release at least some tension. Do you know of any truth in that or is it best just to not think about it?

• Supporters

Fair enough, also noticed people mentioning dry firing in semi-auto or half firing and various other weird things would release at least some tension. Do you know of any truth in that or is it best just to not think about it?

I can't say I've ever really worried about it. Most if not all sites will require you to dry fire the weapon to make sure it's clear before going back in the safe zone anyway but firing in semi can still leave the spring compressed a bit. "Half firing" it is a pretty sure way to get it stuck! IF you're concerned, look into the magwell and you should be able to see the nozzle moving in the feed tube. As long as the nozzle is covering the hole in the feed tube, the piston is forward and the spring is not compressed.

As I say though, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it!

Archived