Didn't enjoy my first CQB game

NathyB
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Well, it's definitely happened since I started playing there in the summer.

My friend had to go through it when he played his first game about 6 weeks back.

And then last Sunday we stood and watched it happen to the new players for that day.

Obviously it's gone down like a lead balloon on here, but I think it's a good idea.

Before my first ever game some 15 years ago I was pretty nervous, thinking "What will it feel like" "How long does it hurt for?".

At least this way, they don't have to wonder for long and they realise it doesn't hurt that much. Bit like ripping off a plaster I suppose.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's definitely happened since I started playing there in the summer.

My friend had to go through it when he played his first game about 6 weeks back.

And then last Sunday we stood and watched it happen to the new players for that day.

Obviously it's gone down like a lead balloon on here, but I think it's a good idea.

Before my first ever game some 15 years ago I was pretty nervous, thinking "What will it feel like" "How long does it hurt for?".

At least this way, they don't have to wonder for long and they realise it doesn't hurt that much. Bit like ripping off a plaster I suppose.

Except it sounds coercive and immoral. No one should have to be shot with an airsoft gun in order to play airsoft, which is how you've made it appear. What if a new player refuses to participate?

Except it sounds coercive and immoral. No one should have to be shot with an airsoft gun in order to play airsoft, which is how you've made it appear. What if a new player refuses to participate?

I'm a new player and i have to agree with above post, this sounds borderline illegal, "right everyone line up while we shoot you before you can play", why not just strip them them and throw white powder over them and hose them down, sounds like college hazing. The very definition of hazing "Hazing / Ragging is the practice of rituals, challenges, and other activities involving harassment, abuse or humiliation used as a way of initiating a person into a group including a new fraternity, sorority, team, or CLUB". I've started to get into this hobby for my enjoyment of the hobby itself, I like the social side, the military aspect and the gun's, getting shot is a secondary by product of playing not the main reason, you don't skirmish because you enjoy being shot. You want to find out what it feel's like to get shot, it will happen in the first 5-10 mins of gameplay, you don't need to be trotted out like fresh meat and lined up in a firing squad.

I have to admit, try that with me and i will make my point very clear and take my money and business elsewhere, i cannot believe anyone would think it's a good idea.

I must have worded this wrong.

The staff at EAG don't shoot the newbies.

And it's not done in a bullying or malicious way.

The new players take shots at each other. It's not full auto spraying or anything.

Surely if they have a problem with being shot with an airsoft gun, why are they at an airsoft skirmish?

• Moderators

I didn't know what to expect on my first game and only had an idea from reading google, not sure if it's good or bad thing to do but I can see it helping towards stopping people holding back for that fear of being hit as they then know what to expect .... I just ran to the action I paid £50 for the day so wanted my monies worth!!! 🙂

But even now you get people who will run to the action and others that hold back

• Supporters

But even now you get people who will run to the action and others that hold back

To be honest in CQB the people I see holding back are generally the woodland players who come indoors for the winter months. They turn up and try to play in the same way as they do outdoors.

They are closely followed by those who like to look the part and talk the part but generally hang back shooting from behind cover (but always tell the best after action stories in the safe zone🙄).

As for new players they generally throw themselves into it with the sort of abandon most regulars could do with taking note of.

The whole line them up and let them shoot each other is b*llshit. While I can see what they are aiming for its still a bit degrading and pathetic. Especially as all the regulars get to watch like its a sideshow.

There is a difference between getting shot in game and lining people up to shoot each other.

One is the game you go to play the other is enforced assault. Feel the same about marshalls shot testing players.

• Supporters

Seems like a big deal is being made over being shot a couple of times which I'd imagine is done in good humour on the day. However you always get people hanging back and they are quite often the ones telling everyone else to push up.

Some people, for whatever reason want to pay good money to stand around all day doing nothing.

I've always liked it when sites start the day with a warm up game that's structured in a way that's almost guaranteed to get everyone shot at least once. You will quite often hear new players saying how getting shot wasn't nearly as bad as they thought afterwards.

Seems like a big deal is being made over being shot a couple of times which I'd imagine is done in good humour on the day. However you always get people hanging back and they are quite often the ones telling everyone else to push up.

Some people, for whatever reason want to pay good money to stand around all day doing nothing.

I've always liked it when sites start the day with a warm up game that's structured in a way that's almost guaranteed to get everyone shot at least once. You will quite often hear new players saying how getting shot wasn't nearly as bad as they thought afterwards.

My issue was the implied mandatory nature of the spectacle from L3wisD's post. I don't see how he can take back "Funny as hell."

I won't take back that it's funny to watch, because it is.

Seeing people's reactions to getting shot is always humourous.

Whether it's these new players or your mate running into the middle of the objective and getting annihilated by the entire opposition. My mate even found it funny after going through it.

I'm sorry we differ opinion on the iniation of new players at EAG. But I'm not going to apologise for finding it funny.

I can feel it's an unpopular decision to find the humour in our hobby. It's just a game after all.

I won't take back that it's funny to watch, because it is.

Seeing people's reactions to getting shot is always humourous.

Whether it's these new players or your mate running into the middle of the objective and getting annihilated by the entire opposition. My mate even found it funny after going through it.

I'm sorry we differ opinion on the iniation of new players at EAG. But I'm not going to apologise for finding it funny.

I can feel it's an unpopular decision to find the humour in our hobby. It's just a game after all.

You don't need to defend yourself. :)

It isn't about you finding it funny, it's about the participants being made a spectacle which may or may not be funny to watch.

When I go to sunday games at the mall it's always annoying that I rarely encounter the new players from the other team because those on my own team make me want to shoot them so bad!

To the guys that aren't a fan of the bang rule, just a question due to my curiosity- If you got the drop on someone and got right on his/her tail; they were oblivious or took it for granted you were a team mate etc would you knife kill them if you had time or would you shoot them and if so, where? Just interested in the responses.

I meant to say - and I'll leave it here, promise - that the regulars at EAG AREN'T encouraged to watch the new players.

The new players / rentals are told to assemble and head one way, and everyone else goes the opposite direction to head to the first game. There's a bit on the path you can see the new players from about 30 metres away.

We were ushered along by Kev, one of the Marshalls saying "come on lads, let's get on with the game, nothing to see here".

So the new players being made a spectacle is totally not a thing that happens. It's just me and my shit sense of humour. I don't want people thinking EAG are bullying new players. :)

Right. Dinner time.

• Supporters

To the guys that aren't a fan of the bang rule, just a question due to my curiosity- If you got the drop on someone and got right on his/her tail; they were oblivious or took it for granted you were a team mate etc would you knife kill them if you had time or would you shoot them and if so, where? Just interested in the responses.

I've tried to use a knife. I have one on my vests shoulder. I haven't actually gotten that near to anyone although I have come close. In my video from my games at The Mall I snuck up on a group on the balcony. I was going to try to knife the first guy but he turned last second.

• Supporters

I pretty much always shoot them, to the point where I've only gone for a knife kill once and the chap got shot as I was running up to him. For me if I know someone hasn't noticed me it's a case of just not rushing my shot rather than risking getting within arms reach for the chance of a knife kill.

The time I did go for a knife kill was because the chap was making a lot of noise and I knew the layout of the site well to flank him quickly.

• Supporters

Depends on the situation if I am moving fast then I shoot and as I generally move around with the trigger half pulled then thats usually what happens. As for where I dont think about it I just react and they get it where ever I am pointing at the time.

Only time I really use the knife/pig is when I am trying to stay hidden or move quietly.

• Head Moderator

I generally tend to aim/shoot players in the legs because they are more likely to feel the hit. I have shot players wearing plate carriers multiple times in the chest/back but they have failed to notice the hit, a couple of shots to the leg gets their attention. I have yet to be fast enough to get out my knife out of the sheath for the close kill so just rely on the gun in my hand to take the shot.

I think the problem with CQB is that after a few rounds it gets boring.

I find with CQB the objectives tend to matter more to players. At woodland sites it seems to be two teams of players behind trees engaging each other at their max distance with a couple of players in the middle actually trying to get close enough to hit someone. No one really gives a shit about the box in the middle.

CQB is less forgiving and you have to be a little more aggressive to get close enough to hit someone

But each to their own!

Heh I find the reaction to getting the noobs to shoot each other completely hilarious. I regularly play at EAG worthing never really noticed anything like that although if there is a large group of renters/new players they will often get them to play a short warm up game off on their own so that they know what to expect before being let loose in the woods. Honestly EAG are great for the banter and the regulars are always faffing about shooting each other in the arse during breaks inbetween games but it's always people who are ok with it.

Once I even shot a marshal cause he said it was weird he hadn't been tagged yet, it's all fun and games so long as you aren't a wanker about it :)

Onto the topic at hand though, i've played a couple of CQB games and the lone wolf aspect is definately the best way even if you don't know your way around the site. Nothing better than sneaking along hearing a couple of people talking then popping round a corner and capping them as they come up to it. Getting shot point blank only stings for a minute but scaring the everloving piss out of someone who's not expecting you to run round a corner is priceless. (And yes it's happened to me too!)

I frequently miss people at under 5m ranges, lots of ppl do, I approve of "surrender", but not bang.

And that's including people that dont feel it, sometimes you get the drop on three people but one guy "doesnt feel it", and ruins it, but the fact is that even at 3m i someone says you didnt hit them, you can't be sure you did unless you saw it, and that's why the bang rule is sh*t, its only worthwhile if you could have hit them, which is why I try to surrender people if it's point blank.

At my last CQB game I tried to surrender someone facing me, and he just pushed my muzzle away, brought up a pistol and shot me in the gut from 25 cm away. I was pretty fuming about him touching my gun like that, but the fact that he shot me was fair play.

Once at the mall some guy came up behind a group of a bout 7 of us from above, and said "you're all dead". And we all replied no we're not. If I had been on the ball i'd have shot at him, it was very funny, the "bang rule is BS", but some common courtesy should be given at close range if you have the drop on someone.

Once at the mall some guy came up behind a group of a bout 7 of us from above, and said "you're all dead". And we all replied no we're not. If I had been on the ball i'd have shot at him, it was very funny, the "bang rule is BS", but some common courtesy should be given at close range if you have the drop on someone.

This sounds familiar....

Not sure if I was in your group at the time, but im sure similar has happened to me at The Mall;

"Your all Dead"

"No we're not" Bang "You are"

I just remember laughing and thinking whaddafuck!!

This sounds familiar....

Not sure if I was in your group at the time, but im sure similar has happened to me at The Mall;

"Your all Dead"

"No we're not" Bang "You are"

I just remember laughing and thinking whaddafuck!!

I think he leaned over the railing and said bang 7 times, but no one acknowledged hearing him (I can recall that, but my brain is not programmed to respond to "bang" in airsoft), so it was very confusing. Of course had we heard him, we'd have shot him on reflex i'm sure.

Must have been a different instance.. Im sure I was on the landing when a guy stormed up the stairs (or out of the ball pit room) and claimed we were all dead!! Likely the same guy :rolleyes:

Archived