AirsoftBuddy - find airsofters around you

Samurai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Shame that whenever I click on a user, hardly anyone seems to have filled anything out on the profile.

I suggest a 30 character minimum on the public info when you sign up. I'm happy to give lifts to people who need them, but I don't really want to let someone into my car who couldn't even be bothered to write one sentence on a form. It just gives off an "I don't care, give me ride" attitude.

While I agree wholeheartedly, it would only make them put xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in there or something like that.

I added a few tags (suggestions are welcome for other ones) for making it easy to tell more about themselves.

Filtering the map with the tags will come later.

As a suggestion, maybe a confirmation email can be sent out when you and a buddy 'connect'

Thanks. Yes, email notificiations are needed indeed.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree wholeheartedly, it would only make them put xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in there or something like that.

Repetitive string rejection :D

looks like no one uses car inside of London. damn :D

anyone who will use route near London this weekend ? I just want to try somewhere new...

(too late for mall, it is fully booked again...)

Can we have a way of masking our address other than giving a postcode. Maybe something that displays your address in the form of an area rather than a pinpoint?

It does that already, unless like my work place your house occupies an entire postcode, it's already vague.

It does that already, unless like my work place your house occupies an entire postcode, it's already vague.

Fair point I suppose. If you've used Strava (cycling app) that's what I was thinking of but it's a different kind of thing. To be fair, I live in a dodgy as hell area so It's more likely someone would want to rob my house for the fun of it, rather than because they know something's there because they saw it on an obscure website.

• Supporters

Can we have a way of masking our address other than giving a postcode. Maybe something that displays your address in the form of an area rather than a pinpoint?

"The map markers won't point exactly to the postcode, but to a close random position to protect your identity."

When you enter the postcode I get the geolocation for that. Then I set the marker to a random position nearby, I think it's a few hundred meters away. So if the postcode geolocation is a few hundred meters from your home and the random position makes it point right to the house, then you're f*ckd. :)

If that does happen, change the postcode to something else, and then change it back. That will do the randomization again so it should point somewhere else.

Its showing 3 users in northern ireland but it just shows me ?

I see only one.

"The map markers won't point exactly to the postcode, but to a close random position to protect your identity."

When you enter the postcode I get the geolocation for that. Then I set the marker to a random position nearby, I think it's a few hundred meters away. So if the postcode geolocation is a few hundred meters from your home and the random position makes it point right to the house, then you're f*ckd. :)

If that does happen, change the postcode to something else, and then change it back. That will do the randomization again so it should point somewhere else.

Ahhhhh. Nice you've really put a lot of thought into this!

I see only one.

post-14272-0-01955400-1481028014_thumb.png

Liking this a lot. A great idea, so lets make sure plenty of us sign up to use it!

I really like this idea but stopped the sign up half way through, as a teacher I can't think of anything more terrifying than the idea of putting my name, address and contact details online haha! If you could limit the address to just a town, and have a built in contact system rather than having to put my contact information on there I would be very interested.

But great idea! If this ever becomes the case I'll be straight on!

I really like this idea but stopped the sign up half way through, as a teacher I can't think of anything more terrifying than the idea of putting my name, address and contact details online haha! If you could limit the address to just a town, and have a built in contact system rather than having to put my contact information on there I would be very interested.

Do kids you teach know you play airsoft because maybe this is me being naive but I cant believe that would be the reason you wouldn't register! No one can actually see your contact details until you accept a buddy request.

Yeah a few do and there is a lot of kids at my school that play.

I thought that may be the case but I don't think it read that way when registering so I wants sure so didn't risk it.

It absolutely is a reason not to register I know it sounds absurd but all it takes is someone to add you who's a student and as soon as they have personal contact information there's a real risk to your career. Hence when I thought anyone could see it I didn't want to register :)

Yeah a few do and there is a lot of kids at my school that play.

I thought that may be the case but I don't think it read that way when registering so I wants sure so didn't risk it.

It absolutely is a reason not to register I know it sounds absurd but all it takes is someone to add you who's a student and as soon as they have personal contact information there's a real risk to your career. Hence when I thought anyone could see it I didn't want to register :)

You can add your account on airsoft-forum.com as contact info, or unused mail address which is attached to main one or even facebook or linkedin (I am sure all of them know your facebook address)..

And people can send you a message through this channels. it doesnt have to be phone number or private email.

Well I don't have Facebook for that same exact reason. I didn't realise you could use this I'll do that :)

I know it sounds crazy but you wouldn't believe the trouble social media causes for us

Thanks for your help

• Supporters

You got me confused here.

You don't have to give any of that. You enter your postcode only and no-one except you can see that. The map marker showing you for others doesn't even point to that postcode.

Or you mean the "contact" field on your profile? Maybe I should change its placeholder text to be more clear that it's for any contact channel you want to provide that your buddies can use to contact you. Like a link to your profile on this forum. And that field is only visible to players who you accepted as buddies.

Yeah I didn't know the bit about the position marker because I didn't register because of the second issue you mentioned :)

If it had said you can't see that information unless your buddies I would have signed up

• Supporters

Yeah I didn't know the bit about the position marker because I didn't register because of the second issue you mentioned :)

If it had said you can't see that information unless your buddies I would have signed up

Were you on a phone or a tablet?

There are icons showing that it is only seen by your buddies but the hover over effect to show the explaining text is not touchscreen compatible.

Thanks, this is very valuable info. I'll change it to show them on touchscreen devices too.

Edit: done

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporters

:)

Indeed.

Meanwhile I'm on a coding holiday, that's why it is not moving now. Anyway, features around sites and events are almost done. When those are ready a few more improvements are going to released along with them. Probably next week.

Archived